RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 mauser

6.5 mauser

so i stumbled upon this rifle online. the guy actually lives very close to me. it’s a swedish mouser in 6.5 ( i’m assuming he means 6.5 sweed ). i haven’t contacted him about the rifle. i wasn’t exactly looking for a new rifle but, he only wants $300 for it. assuming the bore is good. it might make a cool new rifle. i know nothing about swedish mauser. is that price a decent price? it’s been online now for a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the bore is good and the numbers match, it’s an ok deal for a modified rifle.
    Since it hasn’t sold, maybe an offer of $250 would work.
    They are great rifles and built as well as any ever made in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If the bore is good and the numbers match, it’s an ok deal for a modified rifle.
    Since it hasn’t sold, maybe an offer of $250 would work.
    They are great rifles and built as well as any ever made in my opinion.

kinda along the lines of what i was thinking money wise. i was kinda assuming that it had been sporterized from the picture.

6.5 mauser

how hard is loaded ammo and brass to find for it ?

edit: looks like loaded ammo it’s fairly easily attainable
    just looking at gun broker s&b is 130 grain is $18.99 a box.

brass seems available. little more than i’m used to paying for 50 pieces but available non the less. i may mull it over the next couple of nights at work and see how i feel about it.

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 08-26-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Hand guards removed, stock disc filled in, recoil pad added and refinished. Quality rifles and pricey if in nice condition and original. Usually very accurate. See if the bolt matches the receiver and check the bore. That would have brought a premium price with the figure the stock has. Still might make a good shooter.

6.5 mauser

i sent him a message. asked about the bore. he said he’s open to trade maybe we can work something out. with it being a mauser it should handle modern 6.5x55 loads with jacketed bullets? will they shoot cast ok ?

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 08-27-2023 at 01:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    They shot cast just fine. I wish I could find one for that price over here. The 6.5x55 is a great caliber to shoot. I have two of them.

Boolit Master
    being a mauser it should handle modern 6.5x55 loads with jacketed bullets?
    If you plan to reload, be aware that 6.5 SKAN load data is for modern rifles and should not be used in a M96 Mauser.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading.../?cartridge=70

ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    The Swedish is not a 98 Mauser it is a 1896. Loads are held to 45,000 psi, although a quality rifle it is not designed to shoot the higher pressure loads that a 98 will handle. You can find published loads for the 96 Swed.

Boolit Grand Master

Too bad the disc is missing it would give the throat dimensions (assuming the stock wasn't changed), although a slug would do the same.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    The Swedish is not a 98 Mauser it is a 1896. Loads are held to 45,000 psi, although a quality rifle it is not designed to shoot the higher pressure loads that a 98 will handle. You can find published loads for the 96 Swed.
    That "45,000" is the old measurement with the C.U.P. method. With transducer/strain gauges the SAAMI MAP is 51,000 psi and the European CIP is 55,00o psi.
    Yes, those are for M1896s also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    That is a nice looking rifle at a good price. If you're not knowledgeable about 96 Swedes, here's some things you should know. Most reloading manuals have two sets of reloading data; one set for the '96 Mauser, and the other set for modern rifles. The pressure and velocity is kept lower for the Swedish Mauser. These rifles are known for having very good accuracy (if in good condition). They were designed to shoot long heavy bullets. The barrels have a rapid rate of twist. Because of this, when shooting cast bullets the accuracy is best at around 1600 fps. If you load to higher velocities with cast loads the accuracy might start to drop off. With jacketed bullets, long for caliber 140 grain to 160 grain bullets are usual for the Swedish Mauser. If it will shoot lighter bullets well depends on the individual rifle.

The Swedish Mauser was the first of the Mauser rifles that had a guide rib on the bolt. This feature was carried over to the 98 Mauser, and contributes to smooth operation when cycling the bolt. The 96 Mauser is a small ring action, and though usually made from the best steels that were available during the time it was built, it still requires that it's pressure limitations and gas handling capabilities be respected. It's not a good idea to hot load a 96 Mauser, or to push it's limits, but it's not a good idea to do that with any gun. As a hunting rifle, the Swedish Mauser was introduced 127 years ago and generations of hunters have used it successfully to hunt moose, deer, and bear. As a marksman's rifle it has been used equally as long in target competitions. It is a classic rifle. As far as if this firearm is a good fit for you, that's your choice. However, if you let it slip through your fingers you will very likely wish that you hadn't, and end up spending years looking for a deal like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    That is a nice looking rifle at a good price. If you're not knowledgeable about 96 Swedes, here's some things you should know. Most reloading manuals have two sets of reloading data; one set for the '96 Mauser, and the other set for modern rifles. The pressure and velocity is kept lower for the Swedish Mauser. These rifles are known for having very good accuracy (if in good condition). They were designed to shoot long heavy bullets. The barrels have a rapid rate of twist. Because of this, when shooting cast bullets the accuracy is best at around 1600 fps. If you load to higher velocities with cast loads the accuracy might start to drop off. With jacketed bullets, long for caliber 140 grain to 160 grain bullets are usual for the Swedish Mauser. If it will shoot lighter bullets well depends on the individual rifle.

The Swedish Mauser was the first of the Mauser rifles that had a guide rib on the bolt. This feature was carried over to the 98 Mauser, and contributes to smooth operation when cycling the bolt. The 96 Mauser is a small ring action, and though usually made from the best steels that were available during the time it was built, it still requires that it's pressure limitations and gas handling capabilities be respected. It's not a good idea to hot load a 96 Mauser, or to push it's limits, but it's not a good idea to do that with any gun. As a hunting rifle, the Swedish Mauser was introduced 127 years ago and generations of hunters have used it successfully to hunt moose, deer, and bear. As a marksman's rifle it has been used equally as long in target competitions. It is a classic rifle. As far as if this firearm is a good fit for you, that's your choice. However, if you let it slip through your fingers you will very likely wish that you hadn't, and end up spending years looking for a deal like this one.
    i’m going to get it if the bore is actually as good as he says it is. i’m messaging the guy right now about it. i’m not one to really negotiate if it checks out i’ll give him the $300 or what ever trade that he wants at $300.

i want to start putting in for the drawing for a michigan elk tag. A bull elk tag is the equivalent of hitting the lottery here in michigan and is basically a once in life time event.

rifle looks good and not often any more you find a $300 rifle in good shape. the more i read about it the more i like it.

thanks for the loading info

I have 12 Swedes, it appears that you are looking at M-38 Swede with a 24" bbl, most data on a Swede is not correct. Example; every Model 94, 38 or 96 rifle, before sale to the public, was proofed by the Swedish government to 78k, by Swedish law. They are made from Swedish steel, regardless. PO Ackley rated the Swedes as the very best of all the 95 style Mausers for conversion. Many people have begain their journey into Bench Rest shooting with a Swede 6.5x55. The Swedish Mausers are well worth reading about and the vast majority of owners love them.

The M-38 is capable of MOA accuracy with factory 140 grain ammo. It should not to be loaded as a 30 cal, it takes a lighter bullet to get similar effect due to the ballistics of the 6.5 bullets. The 140grain is the better combination of case capacity / velocity / energy. However, the 6.5x55 is surpringly accurate with the 85gr Sierra JHPs using 4831, even with the log lead of the short bullet.

The Swede loves the 140 grain Hornady Flat base spire point interloc. The powders like 4831 and 4350 do very well. RWS makes loaded ammo and has for years. Beware of the yugo remanafactured ammo, says non corrosive, but has corrosive primers. Europeans do not consider that combo as corrosive. Not cleaned properly will eat up a good barrel.

The 140 grain cast can shoot well, if cast hard and sized properly. The twist is 1-7.5-8 and spins up for the heavy jacked military bullets. The early Sweds used 156grain cupronickel nickel RN bullets, later changed to 140 grain spire points.

If you get a new Timney trigger, the 94,38, 96 trigger, you must elongate the sear hole in the receiver by at least 1/8" towards the chamber for that trigger to work properly, included instructions are not clear.

This is my wife's modified 96 Swede.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0014.jpg  
    Last edited by Rapier; 08-28-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I have had 2 MOdel 96's in the past and have a Ruger MK II in 6.5x55 currently. The rifle in the picture is a Model 96 cut down a bit. The Model 38 stock would be shorter and have a bayonet lug. The one in the picture has no bayonet lug and the barrel and stock are cut down. That is still a bargain for a rifle IF the rifling is very good or better. I would not pass it up. The stock also has beautiful grain in it and well worth a little effort on refinishing. My .02 anyway, james

6.5 mauser

i’m meeting the guy at 3:30pm to buy it as long as everything is good.

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 08-29-2023 at 06:48 AM.

6.5 mauser

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    I have 12 Swedes, it appears that you are looking at M-38 Swede with a 24" bbl, most data on a Swede is not correct. Example; every Model 94, 38 or 96 rifle, before sale to the public, was proofed by the Swedish government to 78k, by Swedish law. They are made from Swedish steel, regardless. PO Ackley rated the Swedes as the very best of all the 95 style Mausers for conversion. Many people have begain their journey into Bench Rest shooting with a Swede 6.5x55. The Swedish Mausers are well worth reading about and the vast majority of owners love them.

The M-38 is capable of MOA accuracy with factory 140 grain ammo. It should not to be loaded as a 30 cal, it takes a lighter bullet to get similar effect due to the ballistics of the 6.5 bullets. The 140grain is the better combination of case capacity / velocity / energy. However, the 6.5x55 is surpringly accurate with the 85gr Sierra JHPs using 4831, even with the log lead of the short bullet.

The Swede loves the 140 grain Hornady Flat base spire point interloc. The powders like 4831 and 4350 do very well. RWS makes loaded ammo and has for years. Beware of the yugo remanafactured ammo, says non corrosive, but has corrosive primers. Europeans do not consider that combo as corrosive. Not cleaned properly will eat up a good barrel.

The 140 grain cast can shoot well, if cast hard and sized properly. The twist is 1-7.5-8 and spins up for the heavy jacked military bullets. The early Sweds used 156grain cupronickel nickel RN bullets, later changed to 140 grain spire points.

If you get a new Timney trigger, the 94,38, 96 trigger, you must elongate the sear hole in the receiver by at least 1/8" towards the chamber for that trigger to work properly, included instructions are not clear.

This is my wife's modified 96 Swede.
    what do you mean by not load it like a 30? don’t hot rod it ?

so when i put a timney on my mosin. i bought the ATI stock and milled that stock out to accept the new trigger. but, i left the original stock as is in case i ever sold it.

i’ll have better pictures after i get it. would it be better to buy a new stock mill it out to accept a new trigger and keep the orginal with out being milled out? than i could swap them back and forth if i sold the gun. i just would hate to modify the orginal stock if it’s an older gun. newer gun i could care less about or i guess value wise would it even matter ?

Boolit Grand Master

"what do you mean by not load it like a 30? don’t hot rod it ?"

With the 6.5x55 [Swede], if shooting farther than 50 yards and don't want to do a lot of load development with cast bullets, it's best to keep the velocity in the 1400 - 1700 fps range. Most "30s" have 1 in 10" or 12" twists and can be driven faster with best accuracy. The 6.5s twist is 1 in 7 1/2 [mine measure closer to 1 in 7.8"]. I've tested cast thoroughly in several different rifles over the years and have found the Lyman 266455, 466469 or the 6.5 Kurtz cast bullets give the best accuracy.

Personally, I found the 6.5 caliber to be too small a caliber with cast bullets for hunting any bigger game [deer specifically] where I hunted them. Yes, they will kill alright but just not as efficiently as I want. Now with jacketed 129 or 140 gr bullet at 2800 and 2700 fps the 6.5 Swede is a very fine big game rifle.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "what do you mean by not load it like a 30? don’t hot rod it ?"

With the 6.5x55 [Swede], if shooting farther than 50 yards and don't want to do a lot of load development with cast bullets, it's best to keep the velocity in the 1400 - 1700 fps range. Most "30s" have 1 in 10" or 12" twists and can be driven faster with best accuracy. The 6.5s twist is 1 in 7 1/2 [mine measure closer to 1 in 7.8"]. I've tested cast thoroughly in several different rifles over the years and have found the Lyman 266455, 466469 or the 6.5 Kurtz cast bullets give the best accuracy.

Personally, I found the 6.5 caliber to be too small a caliber with cast bullets for hunting any bigger game [deer specifically] where I hunted them. Yes, they will kill alright but just not as efficiently as I want. Now with jacketed 129 or 140 gr bullet at 2800 and 2700 fps the 6.5 Swede is a very fine big game rifle.
    thanks for the reply for using cast.

if i used it for michigan elk i would be using jacketed bullets.

6.5 mauser

here it is. i feel good about for $300. bore looks really nice. numbers match on the receiver and the bolt. it could use some steel wool.

he must have lubed it in wd-40 aa it reeks of it. plus he’s downsizing and getting rid of reloading stuff so hopefully that turns out good.

Last edited by michael.birdsley; 08-29-2023 at 10:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast