Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow 2 mold?

Boolit Master

Shadow 2 mold?

Hey all, been a long time since I posted last.

I've had zero issues with a Lee RN powder coated through my P01, but this new Shadow 2 is giving me fits. The leade is definitely shorter. Aside from reaming the chamber, what bullet mold have you all had luck with that chambers reliably?

I was looking at an Arsenal truncated cone powdercoating version but open to any suggestions.

I am shooting the MP 357125 hollow point through my cz P09 at 1.085 overall length.

Soon I may start testing with an MP 147 grain powder coat hollow point.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like the MP 359-135 SWC Round nose. It feeds in everything I have tried it in, including my older Canik-made CZ clone (T120) that has a super tight chamber.

Boolit Master
    The Elco mold from NOE is the one I champion for short leades, especially in my CZ. You can do solid or hollow points. Accurate makes a nice one called the 358 120B. It’s a truncated cone mold that feeds nicely.

Boolit Grand Master

The bullet my WWII Walther P-38 likes best , not only for cycling but accuracy ...
    The Lee 358-105-SWC ... although it says SWC it is really more of a truncated cone .
    Since it is a short boolit it can be deep seated and taper crimped on the top driving band , This boolit is great for anyy 9mm luger with little or no leade / throat .

Another good one is the Lee 356-120-TC , being a short boolit it can also be deep seated for pistols with little or no throat/ leade
    NOE 358-124-TC GC is similar in design to the Lee design but 4 grains heavier and with the gas check allow +1000 fps velocity with a softish (8 or 9 bhn) alloy .
    It is also available from NOE as plain base and hollow point !
    It is a Sweet mould , I use it in 9mm luger , 38 super , 38 special , 38 special +P and 357 magnum loads ! this is one versatile boolit !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Deleted - Duplicate Post
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-26-2023 at 10:38 AM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Accurate 35-115Y. I got a 5 cavity aluminum. Light weight, and good production rate. I'm using RCBS handles. Truncated cone and no lube groove.

So - I have a Shadow 2 and have not yet tried cast through it. One reason is I did slug the barrel and it was between .356 and .3565. Not quite to .357 but enough that I know it is gonna be problematic with the 9mm cases. My biggest sizing die in that range is .357 and I know it is gonna bulge and the brass is likely to size my boolits down a bit when seating...

My first thoughts are that it is going to be a problematic gun to shoot cast in but it is on my TODO list.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Well, you've already identified your two choke points! You need a 358 sizer and bigger expander plug for the brass! Easy peasey

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Well, you've already identified your two choke points! You need a 358 sizer and bigger expander plug for the brass! Easy peasey
    Yessir - and I need to cast a bunch of boolits.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    Don't wr all! Never seem to have enough!

Boolit Master

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...5-hp-pb-4-cav/

Works like a dream in my P-01. It has the typical non existent CZ throat.

Good morning, I don't shoot with a cz, but I use a tanfoglio/EEA stock II also with the chamber reamed.
    There are two molds that are seen very often among those of us who do IPSC.
    RNFP and TC. The one that works best in my pistol and in most that I have tried is the RCBS 124 cn, unfortunately it comes in mould of two cavities
    Since I shoot a lot, it's much easier to make my boolits with 6-cavity moulds, so even though the mp rnfp 359 135 grain isn't as accurate as the rcbs, for practicality I end up using that boolit design for training, and the rcbs to compete

Boolit Mold
    I've had good luck with the NOE HTC356-135-RF-AH2. It's designed for HTC or powder coating and I've done both with the bullet. OAL for my Shadow 2 is 1.115". If you have a Shadow 2 there's a chance you are also into the shooting sports. I've settled on 3.6gr of N320 which gives me an average velocity of 958fps, or a power factor of 129.

Boolit Master
    As an update I'm still having problem, even with a very nice 357 Arsenal mold. It's a 125gr truncated cone and I've tried everything I can think of with powders, sizing dies, pre/post sizing at either 356 or 358. I also played around with lead hardness, not getting below 15bhn.

I'd say one in five either goes in sideways or gets thrown way off target, making a weird sound when it fires.

I remember years ago having the same issue with a Lee TC in my 75bd, half went in sideways so I switched to a LRN design. I'm at my wits end though, neither design work in this gun.

Oh a side note I'm having to seat these at 1.04" so the bullet shoulder doesn't jam into the chamber, locking it up. I literally do a plunk test on every single round to make sure it'll chamber. I have zero problems with Hornady HAP and they are very accurate.

I ended up getting the MP mold:
    356/359-125 Flat Round Nose, Flat Base, 8 Cavity AL No Lube Groove Mold - .358
    Caliber (As cast):.358

I have cast about 800 of them, PC'd and BLL'd. Need to resize I've got a die to .358. Then I got an expander die from NOE that should expand my case to .357 (.358 Pistol Powder Through Expander - 35Cal (P) .361 x .357). Then we'll see if it'll chamber and where the boolit needs to sit in the case... Should be interesting.
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    Good morning, I don't shoot with a cz, but I use a tanfoglio/EEA stock II also with the chamber reamed.
    There are two molds that are seen very often among those of us who do IPSC.
    RNFP and TC. The one that works best in my pistol and in most that I have tried is the RCBS 124 cn, unfortunately it comes in mould of two cavities
    Since I shoot a lot, it's much easier to make my boolits with 6-cavity moulds, so even though the mp rnfp 359 135 grain isn't as accurate as the rcbs, for practicality I end up using that boolit design for training, and the rcbs to compete
    Update, a friend bought a cz shadow 2, without doing anything to the barrel, the boolit mp 135 grains rnfp worked very well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a cz 75bd, and managed to sort my issues out. Here is what I found.
    .358'' bullets will not fit the chamber, and .356'' bullets will lead up the bore. With my alloy, and after sizing, the bullets are at .3574, which eliminates the fore mentioned problems.
    If you are trying to run .358'' bullets which have to be seated at 1.04'' to avoid shoulder jam, and are sure its not nose jam, then the bullets are getting damaged as they pass through the shoulder area of the chamber when fired.
    I use a MP 124 grain rn mold, lead hardness does not seem to matter. I expand case necks to 0.356'' to prevent additional sizing of the bullets. Its all very exacting, but everything works as it should do.
    Try bullets sized to .357.
    Last edited by Bird; 11-13-2023 at 05:56 PM.

Boolit Master

I have 2 CZ's and 2 Caniks. The "European " chamber has little leade in it. I can not get any cast boolit to shoot accurate in them. I did have the throat reamed in the CZ 75 so it would shoot cast but the tolerances are so loose that it is fairly inaccurate. My best groups were around 2 1/4" at 20 yards out of a Ransom Rest. The best powder I found was AA No. 7 at 6.5 grains. The boolit was the Lee 124 TC that I powder coated. Much faster and accuracy fell off. Good Luck. After 3 molds, 3 sizing dies, powder coating and a Dillon aftermarket powder funnel, I have resorted to shooting jacketed bullets in my Canik guns.
    My problem was when I got the bullet big enough for the CZ bore, The chamber was scrapping off lead/powder coating and after about 10 rounds the pistol would not return to full battery.

Boolit Master
    That's very interesting, I didn't think about the chamber face scraping off the PC. I did pull some of my rounds that have a mild crimp, the case has scraped off the coating where it was crimped so I will try no crimp with 357 and see how that goes. Now would it be better for me to cast, size 357, PC and resize 357 or cast, PC and size 357? The coating measures .002" thick, the bullets drop at 358.

I also noticed the pulled bullets measure .355 up to the scraped part so looks like they are getting sweged down a bit when seating.

It's frustrating, it shoots jacketed like a laser.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast