Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musing, thinking of a CCW wheelgun

Musing, thinking of a CCW wheelgun

I am a sometimes-older fashioned guy, have been known to carry a round gun a time or two, but I started thinking of a CCW wheelie that I just can't seem to find, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Specifically, a 3-inch barrel, 357 mag, but in a J frame size, 5 or 6 rounds, bobbed hammer or concealed hammer, reputable quality manufacturer, and no Hillary Hole. I can go to just 38 Special.
    Thoughts?

Boolit Buddy
    S&W Model 640. Around $800

Boolit Master
    642 S&W Airweight is what I carry. Light and small profile.

My response to your question is: Smith & Wesson model 60 or Ruger SP101. Both guns can be had in 357 Magnum and both of them use the same HKS 36a five shots speed loaders. Holster would be pancake with a thumb snap or inside the waistband with the underbelt retention clips. There's been a bunch of snub nose revolvers made in between 2 1/4-3 inch barrel that I could see meeting your criteria.

What gun do you have in mind?

Well, like the criteria I posted above, no Hillary Hole, 3 inch barrel, 5 or 6 shot, (I think 6 would be better) 357 mag, or 38 Special. i have had many Smith and Wesson revolvers in the past, very familiar with them.
    The 640 comes close, but the barrel length isn't what I want.
    The 642 has the same problem, barrel length is under 2". Both are excellent revolvers, just not what I am looking for.
    I could go to a K frame size, but I don't think anything in that size can be found with a factory bobbed/concealed hammer, and all new Smiths other than the 340 types come with the Hillary Hole. Honestly looking for opinions, thank you!

Boolit Grand Master

My thought is, I’ve shot an Airlight S&W 360 with factory .357 Magnum self defense ammo. 1 box convinced me that .38 +P was the way to go in a light snub nose.

I carried a 360 Airlight for years. Now I carry the M38 Airweight that I bought for my Father before he passed. Pocket carry is super convenient. The sort of convenience that ensures the gun will be with you and not on the dresser. I like Mika holsters. They aren’t pretty like leather, but they keep sweat off the gun and stay in your pocket when the gun comes out.

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    Colt king Cobra, $899; Ruger Sp101, $919; Taurus 605, $479. As far as I know, those are the only 3 inch small frame .357's that don't have the Hilary hole.

Doh! I forgot the Kimber K6 DASA. MSRP $1,091.00. (Price is probably why I forgot it.)
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-27-2023 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add info
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Well, like the criteria I posted above, no Hillary Hole, 3 inch barrel, 5 or 6 shot, (I think 6 would be better) 357 mag, or 38 Special. i have had many Smith and Wesson revolvers in the past, very familiar with them. ...
    ...I could go to a K frame size, but I don't think anything in that size can be found with a factory bobbed/concealed hammer...
    I've a pre-lock 19-4_
    19 or 66 combat magnum can be equipped with a pair of Bianchi Lightning grips, ugly as they are, which make it unnecessary to custom-bob the hammer, and hammer still remains fully usable_
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIANCHI 1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	317381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIANCHI 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	317382
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 08-26-2023 at 12:39 AM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

My first ever carry gun was a S&W Model 19 2 1/2" Round Butt and I wish I never sold it. Nowadays, I get by with my 642, model 36 and 325PD AirLite.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Have you looked at a Kimber K6S STAINLESS 3”? Not a revolver guy though I do have a few.

Boolit Master
    Heavier handguns tend to be left home. I vote for a hammerless Smith J frame airweight or Ruger LCR. You won't fire many magnum rounds through a small revolver. A 38 Spl loaded with wadcutters might work for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the S&W model 60 five shot J frames were offered with 3-inch barrels in both 38 and 357. They have the advantage over the shorter barreled versions of the full-length ejector rod.

Boolit Buddy
    Charter Arms Professional is also a 3", 6 round, .357 Mag with a lifetime warranty. I've found their customer service to be very good.

Been my experience that "small, lightweight, and 357" don't go together real well. "small, lightweight, and 38 special" works pretty good. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

I have a Taurus 85 (5 shot). Its 38+P not 357Mag....but I love it as a carry gun. You might want to check out their 605 model https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...ers/taurus-605

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taurus85.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	317394

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have a S&W Airweight 638. I tried a lot of pistols over the years and finally found this one, I am done. I have tried small autos and I am not comfortable with them for several reasons. I like the ability to carry a snake shot in the cylinder. Everything is a trade off, just have to figure what you are willing to give up.

I don't like the Hillary hole either but I just ignore it and go on. I have a Taurus Ultralite I carry while working outside and a Taurus 605 when I want a little more. The Taurus revolvers don't have a lock in the frame but do have a lock on the hammer.

I like the 2" barrels, I usually carry inside the waist band appendix. A 3" would be a little long for me. Pocket carry would be different but I don't like pocket carry because it is hard to draw setting down.

Everyone is different and have different situations. There is one that will fill your needs, just keep looking.

I don’t think that TauRossi makes a 5 shot .38 snub anymore; but I sure like this one. Even with its steel frame it carries well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Have you looked at a Kimber K6S STAINLESS 3”? Not a revolver guy though I do have a few.
    That’s what I carry. There is one thing about the K6S, which is that they put grease inside the clockwork that is known to dry up and seize the action. I experienced it first hand, read about it, and fixed the gun myself (why have Kimber apply more faulty grease?). The grease literally dried to a powder after a year & 500 rounds. It was a very sudden failure, and could have entirely manifest itself at the worst time with no forewarning.
    It’s a beautiful gun, no exposed hammer, accurate, and is the lightest .357 that holds 6 rounds. If you can’t resolve that bad grease issue yourself, I would not recommend the Kimber K6S for SD.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Been my experience that "small, lightweight, and 357" don't go together real well. "small, lightweight, and 38 special" works pretty good. jd
    Yeah, my experience as well, but a 357 mag version will have a little bit more weight to hold down recoil.
    I looked at the Kimber, currently out of my price range, though that may change.
    I have had good luck with Taurus over the years - is their new stuff reliable? I haven't bought a Taurus in 30 years, but the revolvers I had back in the day were quite nice.
    Is Charter Arms the same management as when it was Charco or Charter 2000? I wouldn't walk across the street for one of those guns; they ruined a fine name.
    wilecoyote, that 19-4 with the Lightning grips looks interesting - how do you carry it? It appears those grips are out of print?
    Thank you all for the ideas, much appreciated.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for a Taurus. I have a Model 85 snubby that I have had for about 10 years and it has never given me an ounce of trouble. .38 Special, but it will handle any +P or +P+ ammo on the market.
    Taurus makes one now that is the same frame but with a 6 shot cylinder, and it can be had with a 3" barrel too. Model 856. Bud's has them in stock for about $350.
    They also have basically the same gun in .357 Magnum, 5 shot only, also available with a 3" barrel, for the same price. Model 605.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast