Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 9mm and 45 not worth reloading?

Boolit Master
    Reading some of the posts here where some can't reload their cast bullets for less than factory ammo....I think they are doing it wrong. Why some don't have the foresight to buy a bit of powder and primers when the shelves are full and sale prices are available is beyond me...and if you don't enjoy it, why are you doing it?? Maybe take-up a different hobby. I find reloading a very satisfying use of my time.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Well, my alloy WAS free, given to me by a buddy who was doing a range cleanup, given to another buddy who smelted it down into useable ingots for plinking loads. So maybe someone else paid for it, it was free to me. Same with brass, same buddy gets range pickup .223, .308 and 9mm for me in a bucket. Free to me, I didn't pay for it. My primers, well, some I paid for, some my wife paid for, some a buddy gave to me, so the ones from those two are, again, free to me. Checking, nope, not delusional. I see you don't reload for fun, that's cool - I enjoy it, a productive and fun hobby that is relaxing to me. Also, I don't cost my time - if I want to make money, I'll go work overtime. Otherwise, time I spend reloading would be wasted watching TV, playing computer games, cooking, (never a waste of time, love cooking, too), or something else that doesn't make money. But hey, everybody has their own thing, of course. And no, I don't have a lot of business experience - I work for the state. My job has nothing to do with business.
    i once bought a ton of lyno for a buck a pound. i have never spent another penny on lead. even my tin has all come free from a saw mill. ive traded pure for lino a few times. i was given two tons of pure for free for the work of stripping it off of electrical underground cables. it was a messy tedious job because that lead encased conductor was injected full of grease but the good thing was that three of us did it to split the cpper conductor inside and they had no use for the lead. so my share of the copper was about 600 bucks and i gave each of the other guys a hundred out of my share. i dont have a clue as to poundage of ww and never paid a dime. ive slowed down in my old age and at the rate i shoot now will have powder and primers till i die and some one will be inheriting a bunch of lead. so why should i have to consider it all at todays prices when factoring cost of ammo. i didnt pay todays prices . not even close. when i buy a truck and have a 600 dollar a month payment for 4 years do i keep paying that when the loan is paid for. just paid off my latest truck and i see interest rates through the roof but does it make my truck cost more? Nope i was lucky to buy it when dealers dealt and interest rates were low. just like i was smart enough to stock up years ago. if i hadnt id be doing it today because one things for sure it wont get cheaper and factory ammo? if you think thats the answer then youd best be buying cases of it because it probably wont be long before thet cant sell it or its taxed so high that nobody but the rich can shoot. i have to question why some of you are here. if i shot 50 rounds a year i sure woulnt waste money on molds casting pots sizers ect. i sure wouldnt waste my time hanging around a reloading or casting forum. id say 95 percent of us cast and load to save money so we dont have to only shoot a box or two a year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Agree. I keep about 500rds max of any caliber i shoot often. Stock piling 1000s of rds is reducing my primer supply for no real good reason. Shtf, i can only carry so much & then if staying in place, plenty of time to reload.
    what did you buy those primers for? to throw at someone or to show them to your buddy? there only use is in loaded ammo. dont know about where you live but around here i can count the handloaders on my fingers so they wont be worth barter where loaded ammo sure will. 500 rounds is a brick of 22s. ive sometimes shot more then that in a day. again i have to ask why someone that shoots like you do even bothers to waste his time and money on casting bullets. heck ive got a good friend who loves guns. even owned two gunshops at one time. still buys guns all the time but hasnt hunted in over 20 years and id bet my house he hasnt shot more than 50 rounds in a year in that 20 years. but i guess he doesnt hang around casting and loading sites giving advice either
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 09-13-2023 at 05:22 AM.

I say for being stock up on primers and brass and powder, When you load different cartilages you have it all on hand . You at times will not shoot more of one then the other. but to have it on hand then , you can do what you want with what all you got , each person can choose how they want to use what they got there is no set thing to do. also when you load different boolits for some that for testing takes up the primers and powders. What ever works for one dose not mean will work for another . As for shtf , this been said so many years that it to push panic when no one knows if it will . If it ever dose, most on here will not take long to stock up on what they need at the time because you will not use all the cartilages of the different guns you have . also you will have all you need on hand already .That is how I see it , enjoy how it works for you and go from there .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    It is becoming interesting to see that there are so many different priorities for individuals. Unfortunately there are those that are critical of others without having a clue what that individual actually needs. Individuals with limited storage will not have the space to store vast quantities of loaded ammo, but can store a substantial amount of powder and primers and casting materials. I do not intend to barter away any of my reloading supplies. If I intended on barter, I would get a few cases of liquor in half pints. That is some serious bartering material.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Reading some of the posts here where some can't reload their cast bullets for less than factory ammo....I think they are doing it wrong. Why some don't have the foresight to buy a bit of powder and primers when the shelves are full and sale prices are available is beyond me...and if you don't enjoy it, why are you doing it?? Maybe take-up a different hobby. I find reloading a very satisfying use of my time.
    Even buying at todays inflated prices, casting & coating my own I can reload any service caliber or revo round for about 10-11c each with range brass or brass I have kept over the years. There isnt any ammo out there for $110/1000.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    what did you buy those primers for? to throw at someone or to show them to your buddy? there only use is in loaded ammo. dont know about where you live but around here i can count the handloaders on my fingers so they wont be worth barter where loaded ammo sure will. 500 rounds is a brick of 22s. ive sometimes shot more then that in a day. again i have to ask why someone that shoots like you do even bothers to waste his time and money on casting bullets. heck ive got a good friend who loves guns. even owned two gunshops at one time. still buys guns all the time but hasnt hunted in over 20 years and id bet my house he hasnt shot more than 50 rounds in a year in that 20 years. but i guess he doesnt hang around casting and loading sites giving advice either
    I think you misunderstood my post. I have supplies so I can shoot cheaply. I just dont load up 1000s of rds of a given caliber because then I dont have supplies for another caliber if I switch over. I had been shooting 9mm almost exclusively for the last 3y, but in Jan went back to 45acp *& now recently a 40. So if all my ammo primers were put up in 9mm & I wouldnt have them for the 40. I have about 1200rds of 45colt loaded up but I am not shooting CAS anymore so I dont have those primers for the 45acp.
    As far as casting, I actually enjoy the process & the ability to have any bullet I want for a couple hours in the shop. If I cast a bunch I dont end up using & wanted the alloy, I could just repurpose.
    FWIW, I have a squad of shooters, about 10 I shoot with every month, they all reload. Yet most shooter do not, which is fine, thats where I get my brass.

Boolit Master
    Even buying at todays inflated prices, casting & coating my own I can reload any service caliber or revo round for about 10-11c each with range brass or brass I have kept over the years. There isnt any ammo out there for $110/1000.
    There is some 9mm I see for $220/1000. but then what is your time worth.
    Nemo Arms Branded PPU 9mm 124gr FMJ 1000rd Case
    Nemo Arms
    $219.99

Boolit Master
    I think reloading depends on how much you like reloading, it is hard to put a price on good time.

I like to reload as much as like to shoot, so I do a lot of both.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Went to this site, Nemo Arms, now priced $320.00. No mention of shipping cost. I like to cast and reload and shoot what I make.

Boolit Master

Before ammunition got so incredibly expensive in recent years it made no economic sense to hand load 9mm. The cost of a primer and any factory made bullet exceeded the price of the loaded round. I shoot cast in my beautiful old Hi-Power so it was economical to load for by my Glock has a factory barrel so I mostly just don't shoot it. Now that ammo and components are both so expensive it's more attractive to hand load 9mm.

Loading any flavor of .45 cal handgun ammunition is another story entirely. I can cast and load .45 Colt or .45ACP for about $2.50/box of 50 with components that I have on hand. Factory loads seem to be about $0.42/round and up ($21.00/50) for 45ACP. That's over 8 times the cost of my hand loads. Winchester 45 Colt LRN is $28/box of 20; over 10 times what it costs me to make my own.

I value my time but only within myself. I would not spend my time making money so it's a matter of what I would rather be doing; not any real dollar value to the time as long as whatever I'm doing is for me.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Just a thought on the argument of "what's your time worth?"...
    I enjoy my time reloading. I was showing my stepson how to reload and after running a dozen cases through the press he looked at me and said "that's pretty therapeutic isn't it". Therapy and enjoyment, what a combination.

I also like to golf occasionally. 18 holes can take 3-4 hours and the greens fees are upwards of $100. If I was reloading that $100 would stay in my pocket. So maybe I should be subtracting the $100 from my "cost of reloading" since I used that time doing something I enjoy and didn't have to pay for the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    If I valued my time exclusively, I would just work 12hrs, 7 days a week until I died, never shoot at all.
    Show me a current link to quality 9mm for $220 delivered, not on sale. Keep in mind that some of us can NOT order & receive ammo on line.
    Even adding a time cost. I can reload 1000 rds of 9mm start to finish in about 90min. If I bought bullets, my cost would be $180. So I save $40 for 90 min work. Not a terrible tax free wage. That assumes the mythical $220 is even available to me. I enjoy casting, really not fond of reloading anymore, way past 400K rds, so casting is a hobby, not unlike shooting. Plus I get ammo I want, not what I have to buy.
    Last edited by fredj338; 09-14-2023 at 03:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I valued my time exclusively, I would just work 12hrs, 7 days a week until I died, never shoot at all.
    Show me a current link to quality 9mm for $220 delivered, not on sale. Keep in mind that some of us can NOT order & receive ammo on line.
    Even adding a time cost. I can reload 1000 rds of 9mm start to finish in about 90min. If I bought bullets, my cost would be $180. So I save $40 for 90 min work. Not a terrible tax free wage. That assumes the mythical $220 is even available to me. I enjoy casting, really not fond of reloading anymore, way past 400K rds, so casting is a hobby, not unlike shooting. Plus I get ammo I want, not what I have to buy.
    But if you bought ammunition you can sell the cases for $25/k. You end up saving $15 on blasting ammunition. Looks like $10//hr. Which is why I will not waste my time making 9mm blasting ammunition.

I understand you cannot order online so you must reload to get a decent price. I am not similarly constrained.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I am in the same boat as fredj338. I figure I save around $140 to $150 per 1000 9mm reloading.
    If there was no background check and fee, no extra store fee, and having to travel 12 miles each way to a gunshop, then I would consider buying ready made ammo.
    Also the indoor range here does not allow steel or aluminum cases.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    But if you bought ammunition you can sell the cases for $25/k. You end up saving $15 on blasting ammunition. Looks like $10//hr. Which is why I will not waste my time making 9mm blasting ammunition.

I understand you cannot order online so you must reload to get a decent price. I am not similarly constrained.
    You can parse it anyway you want. If I am selling to someone I have to pay $10 for uspsfr shipping for about 500rds & the gas to drive that to the PO. Not worth my time & aggravation. AS noted, IF I could get blasting 9mm, its really about $275 delivered, & I can make it at my current component cost for less than $75.
    Start to finish for casting/coating 1000 bullets & reloading 1000s rds, call it 5hrs. That would be $40/hour cash savings. Meaning I would have to make about $70/hr gross to buy the same amount of ammo. I dont make $70 an hour. If I did, I might just buy all my ammo, as well as a ranch in texas.
    Now I wouldnt only cast & reload for just 9mm. Since I have gear & reload for like 24 diff calibers & cast for 8 diff handgun calibers & 3 rifles, I see no downside to doing it for 9mm but the time element & that is pretty small if you enjoy it at all. I hate my job so reloading & casting, even if I didnt love it, I at least enjoy it over work.

Boolit Master
    jeez guys!! do you think anyone is still reading this?? everything has been said over and over!!

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    jeez guys!! do you think anyone is still reading this?? everything has been said over and over!!
    I heard a good phrase a couple months ago; "people don't listen to you to hear what you have to say, this listen to you to hear you say what they already believe."

Reading a lot of posts it seems like people often talk 'right past' each other. It's feels like a lot of people get a lot of social interaction fulfilled by posting online. This is why I posted my earlier comment about nobody caring. The bulk of posting is just to get affirmation of what they already feel. I love reading, but reading a book is so much more deep, and satisfying. If I did not have the easy access of a phone, I doubt I'd read much on-line anymore.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

I'm convinced that ammunition, powder, and primers are nowhere near as sensitive as many claim. I have handloads from the early 70's, (50+ years old), that go bang today, just as they did a half century ago when I loaded them. I'm currently shooting Trap with shotshell handloads using powder I bought in the early 90's, (over 30 years old). Same deal, perfect performance.

I currently have 3 cases of Greek, CMP .30-06 ammo, (HXP 67), that was produced in the 60's, (60+ years old). And it performs like the day it was made. Most of my ammo is stored in my attached garage that is in the upper 90's in the Summer, to the low 50's in the Winter.

Banned

I think you misunderstood my post. I have supplies so I can shoot cheaply. I just dont load up 1000s of rds of a given caliber because then I dont have supplies for another caliber if I switch over. I had been shooting 9mm almost exclusively for the last 3y, but in Jan went back to 45acp *& now recently a 40. So if all my ammo primers were put up in 9mm & I wouldnt have them for the 40. I have about 1200rds of 45colt loaded up but I am not shooting CAS anymore so I dont have those primers for the 45acp.
    As far as casting, I actually enjoy the process & the ability to have any bullet I want for a couple hours in the shop. If I cast a bunch I dont end up using & wanted the alloy, I could just repurpose.
    FWIW, I have a squad of shooters, about 10 I shoot with every month, they all reload. Yet most shooter do not, which is fine, thats where I get my brass.
    i try to keep a 5 year supply of any pistol calibers or 556 and 309. hunting rifle ammo i try to keep 200 of each load for specific rifles. pretty simple. i keep all my brass and come winter reload it and rotate it to the back of my stash so ita at least getting freshened every 5 years. the argument it takes up moe space doesnt fly. an ammo can of 9s or even 556 on stripper clips put in the can neatly probably takes up less room then 2 bricks of primers a 4 1lb jugs of powder and 2000 bullets. if your like most of us you have 8lb kegs in the cabinet wit 2lbs of power or less. ive probably got a dozen myself and how many boxes of bullets with 10 or 20 bullets in it. heck you can get 2-3000 9mms in a coffee can thats about the size of an 8lb keg of powder. imo if im bored and want to switch to another caliber its much easier to grab a differnt coffe can of 40s or 45s then it is to stop shooting and waste summer time shooting weather stuck in the shop loading. then in a shtf senerio are you ask whos trying to kill you for your food for a 2 day truce so you can load more ammo.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast