Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FREECHEX Gas Check tool

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    John,

I make my own gas check making tools. So far I have them for 22, 6.5, 7mm, 30, and 45. I use aluminum flashing from the hardware store for 22's up to 6.5, and thicker aluminum for 7 up to 30, and flashing again for the 45's that take a thin check. With that said my target backstop, which is railroad ties stacked to form a big letter C, filled with dirt, and one inch oak front. I have recovered many bullets with my checks still on them in all those calibers. I think the reason may be as the cup is formed in the forming tool the bottom of course is very true and clean, but the lip will get wrinkles or serrations if you on it and I believe these crimp onto the bullet. Another member said those serrations help clean/wipe lead out of the bore better.

Joe
    I have the tool in the .22 & the 6mm caliber. I noticed that the 6mm gaschecks come out more even, with smoother edges than do the .22...using .009" aluminim flashing. Do you get the same results with yours? Seems it takes more effort to form the .22 check than the 6mm as well. I plan on experimenting with lightly wax lubing the aluminum to see if that helps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    I have the tool in the .22 & the 6mm caliber. I noticed that the 6mm gaschecks come out more even, with smoother edges than do the .22...using .009" aluminim flashing. Do you get the same results with yours? Seems it takes more effort to form the .22 check than the 6mm as well. I plan on experimenting with lightly wax lubing the aluminum to see if that helps.
    Mine come out all the same regardless of caliber. I don't find much difference in effort. I'm working on a new tool that cuts the disc and forms the cup all in one operation.

Joe

Smile

A tool that would make the check in one step from the sheet would be awesome.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Glad to pass information along.

Frankly, that video was the deciding factor for me. I have received my Free Chex II for .44 Caliber and will be making some checks in a couple of days for my recently acquired Lyman 431244 bullets.

I'll compare these with the old Lyman checks I had left from another project on the target...

Dale53
    Was wondering how they worked out. I have the same mold and plan on getting the tool in the .44 Calaber. The 431244 gives me bullets at .430" from WW metal...a bit too small for my RugerSuperblackhawk w/it's chambers throats at 431".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    A tool that would make the check in one step from the sheet would be awesome.
    I have it all drawn up. Waiting till I get some metal stock to make one. Few tweaks to do yet too.

Joe

Boolit Master
    I'd sure like to know how it would be possible..to be able to punch out the disk and form it into a gascheck cup with one stroke...I cannot fathom how that could be done.

I make my gaschecks in a small batch at a time, about 100..takes 15 minutes while I watch TV. In less than two weeks you have 1,000..that's as many as I'd use in a year.

Boolit Grand Master

Wally;
    I am out of town for a few days or so. When I return, that'll be my first project (just after trying out my "soon to be here" NOE 454424 mould). I WILL report my progress, however.

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I'd sure like to know how it would be possible..to be able to punch out the disk and form it into a gascheck cup with one stroke...I cannot fathom how that could be done.
    I'd like to know as well, so as soon as one of you guys figures it out put me down to buy one. lol
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Bub
    Does he make a .45 caliber one? I'd like to make checks for my .45/70.

Boolit Master
    The video for me was reason not to get one. One hour to make 400! I would much rather buy them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    The video for me was reason not to get one. One hour to make 400! I would much rather buy them.
    Funny, the video was why I DID get one. I seldom make more than 100 at a sitting. Buying a thousand didn't make much sense for a caliber that I will probably never shoot over 500-600 rounds of. Besides that, I couldn't find 44 checks at the time and I needed some right away.

I can probably sell the Freechex off quicker than a partial box of checks.

Boolit Master
    No big deal to spend a few hours making gas checks while watching TV... Since the tool costs roughly what one box of Hornady gas checks cost (full retail price)...if one uses a lot of gas checks, the tool will pay for itself in short order. I also think than many use bullets w/o gas checks to save on the cost. I am guilty of that and will be using them more now that I have the Freechex tool.

In my mind there is no doubt that a gas checked bullet is about as accurate a bullet as a acster can make. It may be true that a non-gas checked bullet can equal the accuarcy of a gas checked one, I think most would agree that you cannot go wrong using a gas checked bullet, particuliarly in the Magnum pistol caliber (.357 & .44) with full loads. I have proven to myself that for rifle loads, gas checked bullets are always more accurate in the .22, .243, 7mm, .30, & the 8mm rifle calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

>>>I have proven to myself that for rifle loads, gas checked bullets are always more accurate in the .22, .243, 7mm, .30, & the 8mm rifle calibers.<<<

A number of Schuetzen bench rest shooters would disagree with you and they have the evidence to prove it:

This target was shot by the retired Schuetzenmeister (Jim Borton) of the American Single Shot Rifle Association at 200 yards with a plain base bullet (a requirement of ASSRA). He has since had several better groups during registered matches. He is not the only one who has shot great groups at registered matches in the past couple of years.

I will go this far. I believe it is EASIER to get results with gas checked bullets and using rifles, you can certainly shoot higher velocity with target results but better? I don't think so...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Not a fair comparison Dale 53, since those guys breech seat and therefor there can be no gas blow by. I'm inclined to agree with the man because you will note that even the blackpowder cartridge shooters, who are shooting some very fine groups, use base wads under their bullets (a type of gas check).

Boolit Grand Master

Piedmont;
    No one said anything about a FAIR comparison. The facts are, that plain base bullets CAN be as accurate as gas checked bullets. You just have to know how. Of course, if you are hunting, and need the velocity, then gas checks have it all over plain base bullets. Even then, if you are hunting deer at woods ranges (up to 150 yards or so) a 45/70 plain base bullet will do quite well for ANYTHING up to and including the big bears and Bison (ask the fifty million buffalo that were eradicated to "pacify" the Native Americans).

Don't discount fixed ammo and plain base bullets, either. There are those good people have learned how to do this, also. However, that is another thing all together.

I shot BPCR for 15 years in competition (Silhouette) and I shot both with and without a base wad. I decided that the base wad (my choice was LDPE) did help to eliminate flyers but it is NOT a gas check. The base wad did help to eliminate damage to the bullet base by primer driven powder particles (by actual bullet recovery tests - not theory). That is, if the base wad was at least .060" thick (thinner wads did NOT protect the base sufficiently in my tests).

We'll just have to agree to gentlemanly disagree

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I have no doubt that many do as well with plain base cast bullets as gas checked ones; however with my loads and in my guns, I find that the gas checked bullets are more accurate. I did say that I have proven this to myself..and never meant to suggest that I did so for everyone else as well.

For those who have obtained acceptable accuarcy with plain base bullets all I can say is to keep up the good work!

Boolit Master
    Years ago Richard Hoch (the mould maker) wrote a series of articles on shooting plain base bullets in fixed ammunition in his custom rifles. He ended up having special tight-necked reamers and using base wads and I still don't think he equaled what his rifles would do with good gas checked bullets.

So if plain base are so good I challenge you to start winning cast bullet competitions with them against those using gas checks. And if plain base are so good why aren't they winning in the Cast Bullet Association matches? Competitors will use any advantage they can get.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Anything less than breech seating, such as shooting a complete cartridge, gas checks cover up and/or partially prevent ignition and boolit exit problems. Give me a checked boolit anyday, BR gun or not. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

Piedmont;
    I merely pointed out what IS being done at the ASSRA matches NOW! I am no longer going to challenge ANYONE with a rifle. Glaucoma has precluded me from ever again competing with a rifle (nearly blind in my right eye). My shooting is done with a handgun using my left eye and shooting right handed these days.

However, I WAS (the emphasis on WAS) a first tier rifleman in my day and thoroughly enjoyed a good competition. Oh, my past efforts ARE on record as my scores were "Shot in front of God and everyone" not with a word processor nor typewriter.

My last competitive shots were fired with single shot rifles at ASSRA matches and I never did quite reach the hallowed levels of a 250x250. However, there are several older gentlemen who ARE doing this with plain base bullets at the ASSRA matches on a fairly regular basis (yes, they are breech seated but the performance IS there).

I am not interested in continuing in a "pissing match" and merely reporting what IS being done in competition.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Gas checks, Piedmont, are just another parcel besides the boolit that must make up the projectile. Now you have two things that must be perfect together as one ejecta. So, in all probability, the odds favor the naked boolit in the perfect gun. ,,, felix
    felix

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast