Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Does the lead alloy have an effect on powder loads?

Does the lead alloy have an effect on powder loads?

I have a stache of cast bullets for my 357 carbine, most of which are listed as "Hard Cast". I can just about scratch them with my thumbnail. The thing is I'm shooting that gun a lot more than I expected to and the stache is now down to about 700 or so.
    I have a Lee TL358-158 SWC mold that I've just been livening my technique on but the alloy I'm using is easily scratched with my thumbnail and it's my intention to powder coat these boolits.
    I appreciate the technology of scratching lead is a bit old fashioned but it's all I either have or want.
    Soooo my query is can I use the load I've worked up for my TC hard cast store bought boolits or will it need reducing. I appreciate that I'll start a wee bit lighter load and work up. Powder I'm using is Lovex D036 which is about on a par with unique except it's much more dense.
    What do you guys think?

Boolit Master

In part, it depends on how hard you are pushing them. With powder coating, it will reduce the effect with moderate velocities. But if you are pushing the hard cast pretty hard, you will need to reduce the charges a bit with the softer lead bullets.

Thanks for that Jimb, I thought that might be the case.

Boolit Grand Master

Normally, I would suggest a new work up when using a different major component. Start low (manual min.) and work up as needed to achieve the performance you want. I never cared for any "formula" when changing a component. I like reloading so for me it's just more fun working up a new load...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

A difference in seating depth [not to be confused with OAL] will have a greater effect than will a difference of alloy. If the TL358-158-SWCs seat deeper into the case than the "Hard Cast" then drop the powder charge back and work the load up again.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

IF your loads are not max, then alloy isnt going to affect things much. At max, everything affects pressures.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

A harder boolit will probably run faster since it'll tend to build up a little more pressure as it resists going down the barrel.

However; since cast is softer than jacketed, and even if you're working a max-ish pressure for cast,
    it will still be below the working pressure of jacketed ammo.

You might want to tinker with the powder charge for improvements in accuracy-- but I doubt if you'll shoot your eye out kid.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.