Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of with results using Waltz die and Paco Accurizer to swage 22LR

Has anybody who asked not gotten their drawing? I think I got everybody, but the number of requests had me scrambling for a bit.

A couple of years ago I offered this to Swede Nelson at NOE to add to his line. I don't think he ever did. Maybe if he saw this thread he'd reconsider.
    Cognitive Dissident

I haven't received mine yet.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I haven't received mine yet.
    Sorry I missed you.

Remind me of your email addy.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Here is the one I found in Michigan.

https://youtube.com/shorts/DeORCt5Qc...V8_1Im1Nxaeo6Z
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

It's been a while but I finally got around to making up some prototype dies and punches to test. This is to get the sizes and shapes right.

And the results at 30m

This one is sized to take a CCI sub HN. The wax on the bullet stops it from sliding into the die which is a close fit. The idea is to hold the cartridge in alignment while the nose hollow is being opened up. There is no drive band expansion. The first test was simply to make sure they still shoot straight in my rifle and they do. I have made a second set that does expand the drive bands but I haven't tried shooting any yet. That one is intended for attempting to accurize rounds that don't shoot well. CCI shoot well in this rifle, that being my Voere, but don't perform well enough on the critters I shoot. They do seem to work better now. I only had one example but the damage made it look like the critter had been hit by something more powerful.

This particular one works best standing the loaded die on its nose like in the upright picture, then pressing the cartridge down onto the expander pin. I have an adjusting stopper to get the right stroke. Another die for expanding the drive bands works best with the case down so that the rim centers the case in a chamfer, otherwise the case is sloppy in it.

The case with the expanded nose just gets pushed out by the top punch.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-08-2024 at 04:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's been a while but I finally got around to making up some prototype dies and punches to test. This is to get the sizes and shapes right.

And the results at 30m

This one is sized to take a CCI sub HN. The wax on the bullet stops it from sliding into the die which is a close fit. The idea is to hold the cartridge in alignment while the nose hollow is being opened up. There is no drive band expansion. The first test was simply to make sure they still shoot straight in my rifle and they do. I have made a second set that does expand the drive bands but I haven't tried shooting any yet. That one is intended for attempting to accurize rounds that don't shoot well. CCI shoot well in this rifle, that being my Voere, but don't perform well enough on the critters I shoot. They do seem to work better now. I only had one example but the damage made it look like the critter had been hit by something more powerful.

This particular one works best standing the loaded die on its nose like in the upright picture, then pressing the cartridge down onto the expander pin. I have an adjusting stopper to get the right stroke. Another die for expanding the drive bands works best with the case down so that the rim centers the case in a chamfer, otherwise the case is sloppy in it.

The case with the expanded nose just gets pushed out by the top punch.
    Great results!!!
    Don Verna

So what I didn't show was the slight boo boo on the expander pin. I only discovered it when I was posting the photos as they blow up the image. So I sneakily used a smaller image so no-one would notice.

Here is the boo boo.

And here it is fixed.

I need a pair of watchmaker eye glasses for lathe work. Mmm .. I just found a pair for NZ$18 from China while I was looking up what they are called. They say $18 but it will come out at $30 after tax and shipping. But at least I would be able too see what I am doing!

Boolit Master

Impressive!

Are you selling these?

CW

Well, these were prototypes just to test the principle before getting more involved. It turns out that the nose hollow expander is so easy that I'll just use it as is. I never thought of selling them but I could make you one for fun.

Boolit Buddy

I'd buy a set if you decided to sell these. Or, would you be willing to share dimensional drawings, so some of us could make our own without having to work out the dimensions by trial and error?

Either way, great idea and nice execution!
    Running the ridges and riding the rivers of the Southwest Virginia Appalachians

Boolit Master

Well, these were prototypes just to test the principle before getting more involved. It turns out that the nose hollow expander is so easy that I'll just use it as is. I never thought of selling them but I could make you one for fun.
    Awesome!

I am interested! Just let me know! Let me know what I can do or what you need.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by Woodtroll View Post
    I'd buy a set if you decided to sell these. Or, would you be willing to share dimensional drawings, so some of us could make our own without having to work out the dimensions by trial and error?

Either way, great idea and nice execution!
    One problem is to get accurate and repeatable measurements. I can do a SOP for the hole expander which is where the measuring becomes a problem. Or a small change in design to facilitate quick change and length adjustments.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-09-2024 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Awesome!

I am interested! Just let me know! Let me know what I can do or what you need.

CW
    Will do. I'll attempt to make a replica with methods (SOP). What I am missing at the moment is an adjustable reamer in that size. I drilled then used a small single point boring tool then polished with emery paper. Anyway, I'll work on it and get back to you both.

Just an update for those interested in my 'accurizer' - I haven't spent much time on it as yet. I actually lack the suitable reamers but I'm busy on making a dremel tool holder with the idea of doing the final honing to the desired bore diameter. I have figured out a repeatable way to make the expander pin so that I can repeatedly make the pin to a desired size and shape.

Small expanding laps look like the eye of a needle.
    Cognitive Dissident

Ja - and needle eyes are getting smaller and smaller! I should just stick to the big stuff I can actually see.

Boolit Bub
    I have searched for a Waltz die with no success, but did find a phone number for Mr Waltz.

I called him this afternoon. He answered and said he was no longer making them due to age related issues - he is in his late 80s now.

He did say someone was interested in resuming making them, and that if I called again in about a month hemight be able to refer me to a source.

In the mean time I am looking for a used one.

Parts to make a "Waltz-type" tool that works very well are an easy lathe project. Look back to the first page of this thread.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I too made my own version of the Waltz tool about 10-11 years ago, and found it gave me significant improvement of commodity ammo up to CCI MiniMags fired from a stock 10/22. It did nothing but harm to higher grade competition ammo, and it made little difference when the treated ammo was used in my competition-grade Ballard. The difference being that the Ruger has a chamber the size of Carnegie Hall, while the Ballard is much tighter. (My tool expands the bullets to a uniform .225", which fills the Ruger chamber better.)

I still have the drawings if anyone is interested. The parts fit into a Lee "Universal Expander" (which it isn't) body. Very simple to make.

Phil
    Okay, I can't resist any longer!
    It is winter. The days are short and the nights, long and I have a lot of low grade 22rf ammo to play with. When you have time, may I please get a set of plans too.
    Thanks so much.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Okay, I can't resist any longer!
    It is winter. The days are short and the nights, long and I have a lot of low grade 22rf ammo to play with. When you have time, may I please get a set of plans too.
    Thanks so much.
    What's your email address?
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast