Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Black Powder Substitue in a Powder Measure

Boolit Master

Black Powder Substitue in a Powder Measure

Is this possible? Can you use a powder measure like a uniflow or Lyman 55 to measure a black powder substitute? I know static builds up with real black powder, but didn't know if the same was true for Hodgon's 777 or Pyrodex RS. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Black Powder of any type should be safe in a Lyman 55. I am fairly certain that It was originally designed for Black Powder. It even has Black Powder equivalent markings on the brass adjustment slide.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master

I think the Lyman needs a steel or glass reservoir to be safe with Black due to static build up with the plastic hopper.

Boolit Master
    I have one of each Lyman 55’s and they are different. The BP version is specifically made for that purpose, but I’m not sure whether the smokeless model will also work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    i think the lyman needs a steel or glass reservoir to be safe with black due to static build up with the plastic hopper.
    do not use a uniflow for any kind of bp. Steel and iron are ferros metals and can spark sending your house into the stratusphere.

I've seen a video of an attempt to ignite BP with an electric current and the BP would not ignite. The current went right through the grains. I believe the BP Lyman 55 has brass bushings rather than steel.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    I have done it, and my cartridges all went BANG, but when WEIGHING the black powder dropped from a powder measure, it was very inconsistent with actual VOLUME measure. In other words, the weight of the black powder in a 1.9cc dipper will not weigh the same from one dipper full to the next, no matter how careful I am to make sure each dipper full is the same as the previous.

Boolit Master
    Yes, have done it a lot. Substitutes are all made to mimic the volume measure of BP, eg, 80gn (volume) of Pyrodex would perform equally to 80gn (volume) of BP. If you weigh that charge of Pyrodex it will only be around 60gn (weight).

Your best tool here is a BP powder measure marked in grains.

I take the BP measure and set it at the volume load I want, eg, 100gn. Measure out a charge of Pyrodex. Weigh it. Will be something like 65gn(weight). Then I set my weight scale at that number and start to make charges.

Caution. At one time Hodgdon said that lot to lot variation of Pyrodex meant that each lot had a slightly different density. That just means you should do the above process every time you sit down to make up some charges.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yes, have done it a lot. Substitutes are all made to mimic the volume measure of BP, eg, 80gn (volume) of Pyrodex would perform equally to 80gn (volume) of BP. If you weigh that charge of Pyrodex it will only be around 60gn (weight).

Your best tool here is a BP powder measure marked in grains.

I take the BP measure and set it at the volume load I want, eg, 100gn. Measure out a charge of Pyrodex. Weigh it. Will be something like 65gn(weight). Then I set my weight scale at that number and start to make charges.

Caution. At one time Hodgdon said that lot to lot variation of Pyrodex meant that each lot had a slightly different density. That just means you should do the above process every time you sit down to make up some charges.
    This is exactly what I was planning.

Yes the old orange Lyman 55s are just fine with black powder and substitute.
    They need to be cleaned after use as both will seize the brass drums up in the bore as the cast iron bore will rust.

Ignore the snake oil salesman myth. It is a sales tactic like oil vs butter or cotton vs polyester.