MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyholes from my Forty

Keyholes from my Forty

What is causing this? The Lee 40/175 TLTC bullet is PC’d as cast then loaded.
    The lower seven clean looking holes were made with 165 gr plated bullets.
    Both were loaded below maximum with AA#2 powder and CCI SPM primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some have said a few designs of cast & coated boolits just don't like going through a Lee factory crimp die.
    Over crimping can do it. If one or two cases were longer than others, it'd give that round too much crimp.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I can't see the Lee carbide FCD being responsible for this, or over crimping. To cause a bullet to tumble/keyhole means something much more dramatic is happening.

Have you measured the diameter of your PC'd bullets vs the plated ones?

Were you holding the pistol like a gangsta when those two rounds were fired? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Gp

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Were you holding the pistol like a gangsta when those two rounds were fired? Sorry, couldn't help myself. Gp
    No, I “sling them overhand” like Jingles did on “Wild Bill Hickok”!
    Just a bit of normal seating die crimp on these, and I have not measured them for diameter.

Boolit Buddy
    How far below maximum?

Banned

When I had keyholes it was related to hard alloy, undersized bullets.

This is strange.
    I fired 6 shots from the smaller magazine and things seemed ok.
    Then it went bonkers from the 7 shot magazine….
    I got .402” measuring a bullet and the load for this batch was 4.7 grs Bullseye.
    Perhaps one cavity is bad?
    I’ll do some high magnification study on the bullets and mould later on.
    In the meantime my .40 is gonna eat Berry’s (I have a bunch!)

If you're using a Lee FCD it may be sizing your boolit. Load a boolit as normal except without powder then pull the boolit and measure it.

Every time I have had keyholing a larger sized cast bullet cured it.

Ie 9mm .356 keyholed. Bullet 1 grain heavier in .358 or .359 had zero keyholing and a much better pattern.

I've seen this in both pistols and rifles.

The old rule of thumb for cast is 1-3 thousandths bigger than groove. I like 2 or 3 thousandths.

To get big enough in some bullets may mean your going to have issues with the cartridge feeding all the way forward.

As a result I lean towards Truncated cone type bullets or bullets with a significant radius. Giving you the room on the side to chamber without jamming into the rifling.

Chamber cast can be very helpful.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    yep, yep, yep.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Yep, too hard and too small are most common causes of destabilizing bullets. And yes, a Lee FCD for handgun calibers can and swage bullets down to undersize diameter (BTDT)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had and XD40 that I cast a bunch of the same bullet in the Varmint 9mm and Hunting 357 , and 45 Colts Rugerish loads alloy at .403 in the .401 groove they key holed well below the 5.8 max load of Unique . Naked and greased that is . I went to WQWW and stopped it . I don't know what the difference is from 35 cal at 35 kpsi and 45 cal at 21-23 kpsi and a 30 kpsi 40 is but the results were round holes all the way up to max loads .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

So- if the bullet is too hard and under size- would the instability be constant or at random like I’m seeing here?
    I don’t use FCD dies at all.

Boolit Master
    In post #8 you say 6 shots went OK, then changed mags and things went bonkers. If too hard and undersized (specifically undersized) you probably were depositing fouling in the barrel that eventually resulted in wild shooting. Please examine the barrel for lead fouling.

Vendor Sponsor

OP if you don't have enough throat in the barrel to use whatever diameter boolit you want to use, seated out where it will feed reliably, might want to send the barrel and get it throated. I don't know what model your pistol is, but my 40/10mm carbide reamer still has some life left in it if you have a hardened barrel I could throat it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I just got thru shooting a bunch of those same boolits thru my Glock last weekend. 5.4 gr of W231 they all ran fine and I had no problems with keyholing. they did smoke the place up though. Mine were sized on the high side of .401 +.0005 because the Lee 6 Cav mold was warping and dropping boolits from .401-.406 and the biggest ones wouldn't even go into the sizing die. It wouldn't swallow any that were bigger than .403 so I had to measure them all, and 50% went back in the pot.

I am going to shoot all these up as soon as my range gets opened again hopefully by Labor Day. I have got a Mihec .402-175 mold that will be used from here on out. Making sure these seal the barrel completely is where I'm at, and also the Berry's 165 gr bullets I've been shooting don't work that well in my Ruger PCC .40 so a little tighter fit might help that?

You never said what gun you were shooting these in?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Undersize as cast.

I’m using my only .40 pistol; a Shield 40 2.0 that shoots jacketed very well.
    I’ll measure the remaining bullets that I have and give them another PC coat perhaps.
    Thanks to all.

Undersized and/or soft. You have to look at the bore before firing the sideways one to see the leading. Had that problem yrs ago, shoot several, then oops, several more good then opps again. Bad one cleaned the junk out till it accumulted again. XDm40.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast