WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting in In-Line Can you use a cast boolit with a sabot?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Maxi Bullet mold arrived and I poured a few handfuls of boolits with it. They turned out quite nice and weigh a bit over 360 grains. I don't think this mold was used much at all. Wonder what a good charge of T7 would be? I was thinking 60 grains to start out and go up in five grain increments. If I could get Trapdoor .45-70 speed level and decent accuracy I would be happy
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 10-29-2023 at 10:09 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    As I said earlier the maxi shoot great in my inlines and sidelocks.You will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The Maxi Bullet mold arrived and I poured a few handfuls of boolits with it. They turned out quite nice and weigh a bit over 360 grains. I don't think this mold was used much at all. Wonder what a good charge of T7 would be? I was thinking 60 grains to start out and go up in five grain increments. If I could get Trapdoor .45-70 speed level and decent accuracy I would be happy
    One thing for sure cast them of as close to pure soft lead as you can get. They get way too hard to push down the barrel with anything harder. I used that bullet for a while and have to say it did the job well. I used 80 grains of 3F in a TC Renegade. I would bet 60 grains of T7 would kill and shoot just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    I just shot two last Thursday in early muzzleloader season. A buck and doe and the bullet on both entered the left side and stopped on the skin at the right side with no exit wound. I use the Lee 452-255-RF 6 cavity mold to cast my bullets and I size them to .452 and I tried it without sizing and no consistency. I figured the sabot would make up for that, but no. Once sized they fly great. The pure lead kills great, but no exit hole and less tracking blood.

I cast some more test bullets from wheel weights (10 bhn) and some half and half mixed allow (7-8 bhn) and plan to try them in December and water test them to compare against what the lead did. The one I shot into a barrel looks just like the one recovered from my buck. Story and pictures are here. https://archeryrob1.wordpress.com/20...e-loader-2023/ and data on expansion of new alloys to come later on.
    Loading some of these up to use this year. Need a light load as I broke a rib and can't take much of a rocking from recoil. May even use only 60 grains which is my practice load. Casting mine from range scrap.

Boolit Grand Master
    FWIW, I use 80 grains of FFg Tripple Seven with the maxi. No problems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    So I filled the barrel up at lunch time and shot off a few round.

Previous lead bullet - .933 wide on largest spot - 252.44 grains
    1/2 and 1/2 bullet - .807 widest spot - 257.72 grains
    Wheel Weight bullet - .769 widest spot - 254.66 grains

So below,
    Left - Pure lead and what I use that did not exit.
    Center - 1/2 and 1/2 lead 7-8 bhn
    Right wheel weight allow - 10 bhn
    Attachment 319296
    I cured my issues with penetration by lowering the powder charge to 70 grains. That bullet shoots great in my rifle for sure.

Boolit Grand Master
    pretty much make sabot's for most 54, 50 and 45 cal bp rifles
    you can use what ever type of bullet you want as long as the fit in the sabot is correct
    personally I use a 40 cal and use no sabot
    I shoot an Accurate Molds design and powder coat and have had good luck as long as I don't push it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123