MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting in In-Line Can you use a cast boolit with a sabot?

Boolit Master

Getting in In-Line Can you use a cast boolit with a sabot?

Hello All,
    I just drew a quota hunt for black powder and I'm looking at getting an In-Line Muzzleloader for the hunt. I have an older Kentuckey and Hawkins but they are cap and ball and haven't been overly reliable in the past. I've noticed that the bullets for modern In-Lines are $1 to $1.60 for just the leads. Wow! I've also noticed that the bullets are .452 with a sabot. So....is it feasible to get a .452 bullet and load it in a sabot as long as the weight is the same? I'm thinking something like https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...6-2-cavity-pb/ What's your input?
    yes, my gun is a 50 cal.
    I also have a Lee Real mold and may try that out. I've seen .430 and .452 sabots for 50 cal.
    Last edited by kungfustyle; 08-17-2023 at 06:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    The simple answer is yes!
    I have harvested lots of deer with a .452 cast (or swaged) dead soft boolit in a sabot. Generally somewhere around 250 grains.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Hello All,
    I just drew a quota hunt for black powder and I'm looking at getting an In-Line Muzzleloader for the hunt. I have an older Kentuckey and Hawkins but they are cap and ball and haven't been overly reliable in the past. I've noticed that the bullets for modern In-Lines are $1 to $1.60 for just the leads. Wow! I've also noticed that the bullets are .452 with a sabot. So....is it feasible to get a .452 bullet and load it in a sabot as long as the weight is the same? I'm thinking something like https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...6-2-cavity-pb/ What's your input?
    you have a 50 caliber ?

Boolit Master
    Yes;

yes i used a lee .452 250 grain mold with a black mmp sabot and 75 grain of 777 with my TC triumph bone collector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

You can shoot either 44 Cal or 45 Cal cast boolits in your inline using the proper sabots. I have a T/C Impact and have been using the RCBS 44-250-KT with good results. I already had the mold, so I just ordered up some sabots from Midway. It's a real thumper.

Boolit Master

Great thanks. When I get my supplies in I'll post my results. I have some hp plated 45 acp's that are .451 and a 300g 44 cal mold that I'm getting some sabot's for. Very cool rabbit hole.
    The BC of the Lee REAL is .366 and the .430 mold is .246

Banned

Hello All,
    yes, my gun is a 50 cal.
    I also have a Lee Real mold and may try that out. I've seen .430 and .452 sabots for 50 cal.
    If you are having reliability issues with the Kentucky and the Hawkins rifles, you will probably have reliability issues with an inline as well. Kentucky's and Hawkins reproduction rifles are extremely reliable rifles.

Boolit Master
    What type of reliability issues did you have ?

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    great thanks. When i get my supplies in i'll post my results. I have some hp plated 45 acp's that are .451 and a 300g 44 cal mold that i'm getting some sabot's for. Very cool rabbit hole.
    The bc of the lee real is .366 and the .430 mold is .246
    sending you a pm.

Boolit Master

The Kentucky and Hawkins rifles would shoot fine on a range day. No problems at all. When hunting in Florida at the end of the day I would fire off the gun to unload and would get a very week spit out of the bullet. I don't know if it was the humidity or powder going bad. I was using true black powder. After that incident, I put the gun away and haven't hunted with it. The powder shoots great if its just a range trip. I have 777 and Pyrodex RS and Black, but all I do is take the guns to the range for a shoot. I may retry and experiment with the others, but I wanted to try an inline with a scope for this trip.

Boolit Master

I've found that the sabot rounds fit very tightly and as such, require a good stiff push to seat them on the powder. I switched to Powerbelt bullets for my inline, as, or more, accurate than sabots and very easy to load. The caplocks still get a patched round ball.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

The pita is the cost of each of the powerbelt and sabot store boughts is the cost. No reason a projectile should cost more than a loaded round. My goal is to get two to three inch groups with out the powerbelt's.

Boolit Grand Master
    For sure. Check out "MPM". They make and sell bulk sabots of various types to marry up with the bullet you choose to shoot. Several types available. Just look over their web site. A cast boolit works just fine when launched from a sabot. The manufacturers rate of twist will probably be the most important factor when selecting a bullet weight / type. Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been shooting the Harvester high pressure sabots with 250 gr .429 SWC cast boolits. I haven't used them for hunting yet, but they are proving to have good accuracy at the range. They are giving me consistent 3" groups at 100 yds with 80 gr of Pyrodex RS. I assume any decent sabot would give comparable accuracy. I've tried a couple different types and can't tell a difference. I got somewhat better groups from the Hornady SST and 2x50gr pellets, but as you say, the cost keeps me from using them as range ammo. The sabots run about $.20 a shot, and I consider the cast boolits free as they're made from berm scrap. When it comes time for hunting season I'll cast up a batch with pure lead and make sure they are holding their accuracy. I'll probably also bump up the charge a little for added punch, but these smaller Alabama deer really wouldn't require it. I'm shooting a TC Pro Hunter FX.

As mentioned, the sabots can be a little tighter to seat, but not hideously so. The added benefit of using the sabot is not having to deal with lube. I hunted the last few years using the Hornady SST, and I will have to admit it's been a huge convenience being able to carry a few extra shots in my shirt pocket pre-loaded with the 777 pellets. I'm going to miss that convenience.

Here's a link to MMP sabots. I've used the green HP ones in my Knight Bighorn with either the Lyman or RCBS Keith CB and was quite happy with their accuracy @ 50 yd.

Here's the missing link: https://mmpsabots.com
    Last edited by Maven; 08-18-2023 at 07:39 PM. Reason: omission

I have a 50 caliber inline, and have taken many deer using one of my cast .452” powdercoated cup point 315 grain bullets in a sabot. These are the same bullets that I load for my 45 colt blackhawk, cast from 50-50+2%. Judging from the diameter of the exit holes, I am getting good expansion. I have not recovered any bullets.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Bub
    I shoot maxi balls from my inline and my traditional rifles as well. You may want to try them also they are very accurate in my guns

Boolit Bub
    The Kentucky and Hawkins rifles would shoot fine on a range day. No problems at all. When hunting in Florida at the end of the day I would fire off the gun to unload and would get a very week spit out of the bullet. I don't know if it was the humidity or powder going bad. I was using true black powder. After that incident, I put the gun away and haven't hunted with it. The powder shoots great if its just a range trip. I have 777 and Pyrodex RS and Black, but all I do is take the guns to the range for a shoot. I may retry and experiment with the others, but I wanted to try an inline with a scope for this trip.
    Is there any chance that your powder charge had been fouled by oil or bore cleaner from the last cleaning? You didn't have any problems at the range so I was curious. Blackpowder will attract moisture from the air but I can't see how it could foul out within a days time. Be sure and post your findings as you try other solutions. It would be great if you could get the rifles that you already have to perform reliably for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast