Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 9mm brass with serrations

Boolit Master

9mm brass with serrations

I picked up some 9mm brass after a local USPSA match. Some of the brass has vertical serrations on it. It reminds of .308 brass fired in a H&K rifle. The serrations are not very deep and almost undectable by feeling the case. The noticeable lines are from the escaping gas that causes a dark lines down the brass.
    My question Is there a pistol or pistol caliber carbine that uses a fluted chamber? Or could it be caused by roll sizing the brass? This was reloaded cases.
    Just curious as I have never seen this before on 9mm brass. Any percautions about reloading the brass?

No problems with reloading it, as there is none with brass from HK rifles. What made it on 9mm is a mystery to me also, but a wild guess, could it be an HK submachine gun like the MP-5?

DG

Boolit Master
    USPSA has a Pistol Caliber Carbine Division, where the dominant chambering is 9 x 19. Lots of fluted chambers, blow back actions and soft loads (pushing a 124 grain slug at just over 1000 fps passes muster) means dirty pinstriped brass is very common. I personally don’t reload it, but others don’t seem to mind (maybe no 9 major type loads , though).

The case mouth on such brass isn’t different that I know of; the marks are all on the case exterior: soot from lack of obturation and, as the OP described, maybe some marks from the fluting.

HK made more than a few designs with fluted chambers. The MP-5/HK-94 series is the most likely, but even the P-7 "squeeze-cocker" handgun also has this.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master

Kevin C, your answer makes since. There was a competitor with a PCC in 9MM. I did not know anyone fluted the chambers though. The serrations extend about 2/3 down the case. I resized some of the cases and the resizing removes all serrations.