Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Power Rifle

High Power Rifle

Hello Folks,

I'm thinking of shooting local high power rifle competitions with cast bullets in a bolt action match rifle. Two clubs near me shoot 100-yard reduced targets. For the 200-yard and longer matches I'll stick with jacketed bullets. Anybody else doing this?

Tom

Boolit Grand Master

I did a lot of 100 yard reduced HP and NMC match shooting in the past using cast bullets. Back in the day I mostly used 1 311291 in either the 308W or the 30-06. However, for the last few years I've found the NOE 30 XCB [310-165-FN] to be a superior bullet in both cartridges. With a match load in my 308W M70 Target rifle less than moa accuracy at 100 yards is the norm. Thys Master or even High Master scores would be possible.

In 30-06 I mostly would use my M1903A1 National Match TypeII. It also is very Master level scores with cast. Here is a 100 yard reduced target with a 100/8 X score.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1903A1 NM png.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	317088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XCB 20gr 2400 wdac  png.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	477.9 KB 
ID:	317089

Keep in mind such levels of accuracy with cast bullets requires additional care in casting, bullet selection and preparation than than is normally done.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Hi Larry,

The NOE 310-165-FN is available in GC and PB forms. Which were you using?

Thanks, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

I'm using a GC XCB as my loads run 2140 fps out of the 12" twist M70 and 1890 fps out of the M1903A1.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    My brother shot the 311294 at 1000 yards once in a match lol. They went subsonic at about 850 but still hit the target sometimes sideways lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shot a vintage military match with a 96 Swede. Targets were at 200 yd. During the 20 shot prone slow-fire, the line officer noticed i was shooting cast bullets. He said it would be a race between me and a guy with an M1 carbine to see who gets blown off the target more. I ended up winning. So go for it with cast.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

The 7x57 Mauser has great potential also

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Hi UpnorthWis and Wallace,

What powder and mold design are you using?

Thanks, Tom

I used the RCBS line of Silhouette bullets, they are bore riders, to shoot 200 yard matches with the J bullet shooters. I used the 145 grain FP 7mm bullets with H-4227 and spherical buffer compressed. Used the RCBS Silhouette 165s and 180s in a 30 cal guns. The 7mm was built by Sinclair with a 1-9 twist barrel, the 30-30 had a 1-10 twist. All were with GCs with LBT Blue or Rooster Red lube, all sized to the groove diameter all cast very hard, water dropped and separated by weight.
    If you get consistent pours by weight and fill, then find a light bullet, it has a void, a void with throw the rotation off, 9 of 10 times it will be a flier.

The 7mm TCU shot 1/2" at 100, the 30-30 shot 1" at 100. I had in mind to build a 300 Savage to use for the cast competition, but got interested in the 6.5s. Never did get the 6.5 cast bullets to shoot as well as J bullets in the 6.5 BR or the 260 or the 6.5x55. No doubt there is a combination that will work.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

NOE has renamed some of their molds. Is this one of the molds that has been recommended?

310-165-FN-H3

Name:	310-165-FN_GC_H3_.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	317156

Boolit Master
    That is the one Larry recommended (XCB) and is one I like as well. I have a few hundred ready to load.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post

Thanks, Tom
    145gn RCBS silly-wet boolit with 29.0gns of 3031!

Boolit Master
    B A Wallace:

What twist rate and land/ groove diameter is your 7x57’s barrel? Is it throated long, and are you seating the boolit out to touch the leade into the lands? Is your rifle a Mauser or a commercial action?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Twist rate is standard 7x57 - 1:8.66" (Standard FN Mauser on a 1909 Argentine action ). The nose of the boolit just touches the rifling

Boolit Master
    The RCBS silhouette bullets are bore riders and they do very well. I liked the 165gn .30 cal I tried a few years ago. Sorry the pic is sideways. Rifle was a Savage 12BVSS and range was 100yd.

Name:	20190830_102447.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	317209

Boolit Master

Thanks, Tom
    SAECO #264 cast of WW. Sized .266 over 19 gr. 4759. Primer WLR
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    NOE has renamed some of their molds. Is this one of the molds that has been recommended?

310-165-FN-H3

Name:	310-165-FN_GC_H3_.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	317156
    . I just acquired that mold recently. My 308 bolt carbine shoots like a new rifle with outstanding accuracy compared to any other boo lit I have tried from 130 gr to 210 gr. in that short 16+ inch barrel. After hunting season I am looking forward to testing it in my "accuracy 308" which is already sub-MOA.

Boolit Mold
    Hello Folks,

I'm thinking of shooting local high power rifle competitions with cast bullets in a bolt action match rifle. Two clubs near me shoot 100-yard reduced targets. For the 200-yard and longer matches I'll stick with jacketed bullets. Anybody else doing this?

Tom
    This season I decided to use cast exclusively in a 1903A3 with Lyman micrometer sights for the reduced high-power competitions we do here. I have been using them at the 100 yard and the 200 yard reduced matches we shoot.

As Larry stated, shooting Master scores are very do-able - even using mild loads - as long as you are on your game.

I've come oh-so-close to Master a few times, but something always seems to go wrong in the rapids for me, which knocks my score down some points.

For the 100 yard matches I've been using a load with the Lyman 311291 sized to .311" with GC and 12 gr. Unique.

For the 200 yard matches I've been using a load with the RCBS 30-150-FN sized to .311" with GC and 16 gr. 2400.

The rifles I use seem to like these loads pretty well.

It is a ton of fun shooting these at the local matches, and you start to feel quite good about yourself when you are getting better scores than some of the other shooters using their scoped AR service rifles.

If your rifle will shoot within 2 MOA with your cast loads, that is good enough for Master scores. A 1.5 MOA load is good enough for High Master. The rest is up to you. Good luck!

Thank you John.

Name:	20230822_200109.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	317290

This is the Lee. 309-200 gr. at just over 2000 fps at 100 yards. Rifle is a .308 match with a 1 in 14 Bartlin barrel. Shot prone with aperture sights and single point sling. Shot off a rest with a big target 'scope groups are half that size or less!

Also I've used this bullet out to 500 yards without a problem.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast