WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Harness tester

Boolit Buddy

Harness tester

Does anyone know if this is usable for testing hardness on lead? The seller does not know anything about it or what it's worth.

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by hunter74; 08-16-2023 at 09:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yep, that will work GREAT for lead testing - "IF" it's what it looks like. A tool for testing Rockwell hardness of metals? A new penetrator will be required. I made one with a 1/2" steel ball. Then applying the 150kg weight an indention will be made. Measure the diameter of indention with calipers, and run some calculations to get the hardness of lead.

but, NO it will not work for testing lead as it's setup. I use a HR-150A for testing Rc hardness of knife blades.

On the item you posted - does it have calibration blocks with it? Can the owner operate the tool? What it's worth depends on if it's working or not.

Boolit Buddy
    It does not have the calibration blocks. The seller has not used it and does not know how to use it. The leading bid now is a tad north of 100 dollars

If I get at steel ball of a known size and use 150 kg pressure, how do you calculate the BHN number from this? Do you have a usable formula for this?

Last edited by hunter74; 08-16-2023 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy

My Lee reloading manuel describes the process with charts to determine hardness GW

This company still exist. Run the name on the front and you can get more info.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I set up a spreadsheet to do the calculations, but here are a couple of webpages with good info
    https://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/rockwell.htm

This page has a calculator included. https://www.gordonengland.co.uk/hardness/brinell.htm

I'll be happy to share anything I can. $100 is dirt cheap, almost a giveaway price "IF" it's complete and working. Can you examine it in person? As long as all the parts are there (weights, etc) it can be made to work. Price new of a HR-150A is in the $1400 to $1600 range including usual shipping. They are heavy. The unit itself will weigh around 150 lbs. The last one I ordered was a 250 lb shipping weight.

Boolit Master

A 16 hand mule is good for testing harness.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    A 16 hand mule is good for testing harness.

Boolit Master

Just buy a box of artists pencils and copy a chart found here on this forum...
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Just buy a box of artists pencils and copy a chart found here on this forum...
    Those pencil sets do an amazing good job of testing hardness. I used them for a yr or so, then got to thinking (always dangerous) since I already had the HR-150A for testing Rc hardness, perhaps it could be used for testing lead. A little research (the internet is a wonderous resource) and found the links above. I made the 1/2" ball penetrator to use with the 150 kg setting. Amazingly close to the pencil results.

Boolit Master

I have a small arbor press to which I epoxied a 3/8 steel ball bearing to the ram. From the pitch diameter of the bullgear, you can easily figure out the force multiplier, times the length of the handle, hang a known weight (I use some barbell weights) and you know the force on the ball. Plug the data into the formula and get the BHN #.
    It's really pretty simple when you get it set up.

Here's the formula;

https://www.easycalculation.com/phys...l-hardness.php

Boolit Master
    Alstep, You've got a good method there. Same theory I'm using, I'm just using a hardness tester I already had on hand for the same results.