Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP Molds

Boolit Mold

MP Molds

Hey guys, joined here a while back, but have been more active with muzzleloaders than cartridges. I hope I posted this in the correct place.

I've been cleaning out the ol reloading room, getting tooled to build some cartridges for a few calibers I'm having trouble getting factory ammo for.

.35 Remington is one of them. I have a good supply of once fired brass. In searching for projectiles, I ran across this company, MP molds. They offer a really nice looking rig that can cast three different types and weights of GC boolits. It also seems rather pricey.

Does anyone use one? I'd like to hear your opinion of it, if so. I don't plan on making any hot loads. Just need a good supply of ammo for hog control. The hollow point options are a plus, too.

I have four MP molds, two of them are hollow point. I think they are outstanding and they get to you pretty quick.

Boolit Master

MP molds are pretty good molds and they ship quickly. I do have 2 of Mihecs molds that the gas check shank is too large to get a gas check on. This is kind of frustrating. The "Gold Standard" bullet for the 35 Remington would be the RCBS 200 grain bullet. Several manufacturers make a copy of this mold. I believe mine is from NOE which is a reasonably priced mold. The original RCBS shiould be a good mold also. If you are loading for a Marlin lever gun I would suggest a bullet that drops at at least .360" and size to that diameter. Accuratemolds.com (Tom) is my favorite mold maker and I personally would try to order one from Tom. I don't know what the wait time is now but it's usually pretty reasonable. You can specify diameter when ordering from him.

Good Luck to you!
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    I have four MP molds, two of them are hollow point. I think they are outstanding and they get to you pretty quick.
    Great. thanks!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    MP molds are pretty good molds and they ship quickly. I do have 2 of Mihecs molds that the gas check shank is too large to get a gas check on. This is kind of frustrating. The "Gold Standard" bullet for the 35 Remington would be the RCBS 200 grain bullet. Several manufacturers make a copy of this mold. I believe mine is from NOE which is a reasonably priced mold. The original RCBS shiould be a good mold also. If you are loading for a Marlin lever gun I would suggest a bullet that drops at at least .360" and size to that diameter. Accuratemolds.com (Tom) is my favorite mold maker and I personally would try to order one from Tom. I don't know what the wait time is now but it's usually pretty reasonable. You can specify diameter when ordering from him.

Good Luck to you!
    Rick
    It is indeed a 336 Marlin.

Boolit Master

MP molds are nice. I use a lee mold to make a wide meplat cast and gas checked bullet for 35 rem.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    MP molds are nice. I use a lee mold to make a wide meplat cast and gas checked bullet for 35 rem.
    Forgive my ignorace. Meplat?

*Edit* AHH a flat nosed boolit.
    Last edited by Dusty_Traveler; 08-16-2023 at 12:07 PM.

I have most of the mainstream molds, and the ones from MP are my favorite!

Boolit Buddy
    Don't buy an MP mold.....once you have the first one the next thing you know you have a half a dozen or more. Using the four cavities you can make a pile of bullets fast.

Boolit Master

I have Miha's replicas of the MKII and MKIV hollow base .455 Webley bullets. Top notch molds using a really excellent system for hollow bases or hollow points. Exceedingly reasonable pricing considering all that goes into that design.

Not having any of his basic solid molds, I can't make a statement as to how they compare to others. My default setting for solids has become Accurate Molds, since Tom lets you order individually to set diameter for your chosen alloy, tweak dimensions, or design entirely new molds. Only drawback is his hardware only allows flat point noses of 0.18" or larger.

But if nose or base cavities give you the warm tinglies, MP, no question.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I prefer aluminum molds. Only problem with brass is the weight.

Mp molds = top quality.

Ive only bought molds that were used, but I read here he ships fast!

Bought over 20 molds from mp, still have 14 of them.

Fantastic molds that hold their value.

Boolit Master
    Every bullet has a meplat. Some are small and some are the same size as the bullet diameter.

Boolit Bub
    I love my MP hollow-point molds for my 9 and 9.5mm Mannlicher. Unfortunately, he doesn't make a HP mold for 8mm

Boolit Buddy
    I have the four cavity 35 caliber and 44 mag molds from Mihec and absolutely love them. Both molds produce accurate projectiles that have performed very well so far. They are my favorite molds. Personally I find them easier to use than NOE when casting hollow points. Accurate molds has some nice and interesting designs also but I have never owned one. My second favorite molds are Lyman molds.

Quote Originally Posted by nannyhammer View Post
    Don't buy an MP mold.....once you have the first one the next thing you know you have a half a dozen or more. Using the four cavities you can make a pile of bullets fast.
    I know the feeling. I purchased a HG 50 8-cavity mold from someone here. It is a great mold so I bought another mold from MP. It is also 8-cavity this time in HG 275. These molds drop bullets incredibly fast. I ordered the mold on a Saturday and received it on the next Wednesday via FedEx. I cast over 1,000 bullets within the next couple days with it. It is also a very good mold. I don't need another one but if I did, I'd seriously consider getting another one from him.

Boolit Master

MP molds are as good as gold!

Boolit Master
    back to the op's original question. three different bullet styles in one mold.
    my experience. for years I tried all kinds of different bullets and powders in different calibers and have come to conclusion that in many like the 35 rem the 200 grain RCBS 35-200, which has now been duplicated by lee and miha of mp molds. it just plain works well and is ideal for that caliber and it it also works great in the 35 whelen. its very similar story with 357 mag. 158 grain bullets are the sweet spot.

Boolit Buddy
    The machining on MP molds is fantastic. Sadly the dimensions are not. They burned me twice and I wont ever buy another one. Gas check shanks are oversize and no one will return my email. I am not the only one here that has been burned by them. Try an Accurate mold and you wont go back as long as it is not too small.

Boolit Master

+1 on Mihec’s molds & quick shipping (across the pond!)
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast