Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Unknown Flat Base Hollow Point Lever Bullet

Unknown Flat Base Hollow Point Lever Bullet

This is my first post so if I have done this wrong or posted in the in correct location please forgive my ignorance. I have a Bullet (well several) but all of the same type that I am trying to identify. It is a jacketed 173 +- grains, 30 cal bullet. I have had a lot say looks like an old speer, some say Barnes, but I would like to know exactly. it was loaded in some original 300 Wisper Brass and some original 30-30 brass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4466.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	317045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4467.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	317046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4469.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	317047

Boolit Grand Master

Just a guess but it looks like a home swaged bullet to me. I have seen some bullets from the 50'd that had a straight taper verse most modern bullets with an ogive shape but this one looks homemade.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-14-2023 at 08:16 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

It has that "home made" look to me too. The cannelure looks like it was put on with a cutoff wheel. I don't recall seeing anything similar before.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

It looks a lot like some Berry's plated 30 cal hollow points I bought at one time.

Not sure about the 173 grain weight, but appears to be a plated bullet, the "cannelure" looks like a really heavy crimp pressed into the bullet.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 08-14-2023 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The hollow point does have the die stamped look I've seen on some plated hollow points.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I vote home swaged bullet. It has small dimples all over it and that suggests home cooking. Also it is not polished very well and that also says home. Not a bad looking bullet but I don't think a company that expects to make a name for itself would allow bullets with that low polish and finish out on the market before making a few adjustments on the production line.. But I have been wrong before and could be again. james

Boolit Grand Master

I vote homemade also.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned
    Yes my vote is home swaged and I don't believe Speer would use a cannelure such as that. Now that doesn't mean your bullets aren't any good, they may shoot very well.