Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 32-20 load for older guns

Boolit Buddy

32-20 load for older guns

In another post I was advised not to use Trail Boss (TB) in in old guns due to weaker metals used.

Checked with some reloading buddies and they all agreed.

So I知 researching my 32-20 load for a S&W 1902 revolver.
    I have a Lee TL314-90-SWC if I powder coat I size them back to .314 if I tumble lube I load them as is. These Boolets will drop through the cylinder the bore slugs at .3135 to .3134
    I went to Hodgdons reloading page and now I知 confused.
    They list for 90g boolets

HP38 3.2g 11,900CUP 3.5g 16,000CUP
    Titegroup. 3.0g 12,300CUP 3.4g 15,800CUP
    Trail Boss. 2.5g. 11,400CUP 2.8g 13,900CUP
    Trail Boss has the lower CUP. Am I misunderstanding CUP?

Looking at my reloading book
    RCBS #1
    Speer #10
    Hornady #4
    Hodgdon #痴 21 22 26
    Lyman #痴 3 46
    Only 3 listed loads for pistol (not contender or rifle) all were for HP-38

Other Powders I have on hand:
    HP-38
    Red Dot
    Unique
    Blue Dot

Thought about picking up a lb of Bulls Eye and I can get it locally.
    It is $46 per lb while others are around $34.
    I値l buy it unless I have something that will work without putting too much pressure on the gun and still get fair accuracy.

This revolver left the factory around the end of 1904 and my Grandson was born the last part of 2004 (100 birth year revolver. I plan on passing it on to him and I want have a nice load to pass along with it.

Thanks

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you have HP38 that is fine with the listed loads, 3.5 grains with 100-grain bullet is well established.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition p.173 lists loads with Unique for 90-, 100- and 115-grain bullets 3.5-4 grains is a safe range to start.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I use Bullseye in a orgional 32-20 '73. 2.8 gr with an acme 115 hcpc. Superbly accurate...1050 fps
    Also in a Ruger BH 30 carbine.... reformed 7.62 nagant brass
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230627_182356-2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	317301

Boolit Master

https://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

Good article on the 32-20 and and reloading information at the end of the article!

While the .32-20 was designed as a black powder cartridge, nearly everything it was ever chambered in has meaty extra steel around the cartridge, because it is so small in diameter. With the exception of the early S&W revolvers designed for .38spl., almost all the other weapons it came in were designed to handle .44-40 or similar power chamberings. My Winchester 1873, for instance, made in 1902, easily handles "magnum" level loadings of .32-20 that make it sort of a rimmed .30Carbine, ballistically. However, at least in the case of my Winchester, the steel used for the barrel is rather soft in comparison to more modern steels. This in no way means the barrel is weak, because it is plenty thick. But it does mean that the rifling is also rather "soft", and intended for plain lead projectiles. Although it will shoot modern copper-jacketed projectiles, this more rapidly wears on that rifling. Except for the last 20 years, this rifle spent 70 years digesting jacketed bullets, and as a result, the rifling is not as sharp and distinct as one would prefer. I now feed it exclusively polymer-coated hard cast handloads. Because I'm not using gas checks, I keep the velocity down around 1500 fps, even though it will easily handle pressures producing 300 fps more than that.

But those are rifle-rated loads. For the old S&W Hand-Ejector model I have as a companion for it, I keep the loadings more sedate and in line with the idea in mind that these revolvers, while capable of withstanding smokeless powder pressures, were not yet designed to handle +P type pressures. So I keep the velocities out of the 5.5 inch barrel to just over 1000 fps. For me, I load 6.0 grains of BlueDot under a 115 gran. poly-coated cast RN, which produces almost 1100 fps in the revolver and about 1350 fps in the 24in. 1873 rifle.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    Another reason not to push hot rod loads thru an older revolver is that the sights are typically regulated for lower velocities. I use 4.0 gr WW231 with 120 lead bullet in my Colt and it hits POA at 25 yds.

Boolit Grand Master
    4.0 grains of WW231 works well with a 311-008, 4.5 grains of unique is very good with the RCBS 32-98 SWC. My Colt Army Special dotes on this load. My S&W is a heat-treated cylinder 1920's gun, but it gets 4.0 grains of Unique with the RCBS boolit.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.