Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1874 Shiloh Sharps

Boolit Buddy

1874 Shiloh Sharps

I have always wanted one of these, having owned a C Sharps 1875 for many years. Shot BPCR silhouette with the C Sharps back in the 90's. A good friend of mine owned an 1874 Shiloh #3 sporter, nothing fancy with respect to up grades other than MVA sights and drilled and tapped with scope blocks installed. I had handled the rifle and shot it a few times with the Crossno 22 liner while up at his ranch. He had not fired the rifle himself in years and it languished in the safe. I would pester him some about selling me the rifle when I was at the ranch deer/hog hunting. A few weeks ago, out of the blue he calls me up and asks if I still want the Sharps. Of course yes was the answer. I drove up to his place and after a cursory cleaning and inspection fired a few rounds through it at 50 yards. 4 rounds went into a group of 5/8" with 3 virtually through the same hole. This was with a few of the rounds I had left over from the Q that had been loaded for my 1886 Browning. Good enough, wrote him a check and brought the rifle home. Recently I was able to shoot it at longer range during a practice session at a local club. After getting zeroed at 100 I adjusted the sight for 400 yards and fired 3 rounds. My spotter informed me the shots were at 1 o'clock at the edge of the bull and in a group of about 4-5 inches. Really impressed with the rifle and the accuracy. Smokeless loads BTW.

Boolit Master
    Awesome rifle, will last a lifetime and a joy to shoot and look at as well. Now you know what they say around here, if you aint got pics it did not happen. Would like to see it. Thanks for sharing.

Shiloh Sharps are extremely nice rifles. I just got mine this year and it is something else. Not anything fancy in the way of extras, but I really like it.
    RudyN

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up a new Shiloh Carbine in 50-70. Art in steel and walnut.

Shiloh Sharps has for decades set the standard for new reproduction Sharps rifles. It's what every non Shiloh is always compared to whenever anyone talks quality if fit, function, and accuracy. Fortunate that the quality has sustained itself for so long.

Boolit Buddy
    We all got lucky when Wolf sold to the Bryants.

I have three Shilohs with # 4 on order, last one a 1877 in 45-70 in English Walnut , 1874 #1 45-70, 1874 #1 40-70 SS. Next one a Carbine Pack Hardened round polished 24” barrel chambered for 40-50 SBN . I do semi fancy wood upgrade on all but one the 40-70 SS the Bryan’s build the best 1874 Sharps rifles built by anyone at anytime.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had my 1874 Shiloh-Sharps Cavalry Carbine for a number of years and can honestly say that it will be one of, if not the last gun I sell. It easily prints within 1.5"@ 100 yds. and has resulted in over 60 one shot kills on hogs.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    I have a 74 lre with semi fancy wood in 45-90 and fit and finish second to none.
    Great rifle

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Rough Rider in 45 2.1 and it is a great rifle and I will get to use it this deer season here in Illinois. 405 hollow base with SR 4759 powder.................Curdog

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the club .

I have a number of single shots made by a number of people/companies. If I ever had to just choose one, it would be one of my Shiloh Sharps rifles.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    WARNING: Shiloh's are like peanuts you're not going to stop with one. Please don't ask how I know

Boolit Master

I ordered my Sharps Shilo in 1985 before Quigley went down under $961 & 6 week wait I ordered the 50-3 1/4" with 34" Number 1 taper barrel .
    It is a great shooting rifle I have never shot competition with it just target and hunting Michigan deer .
    It has taken a deer at my longest range only 150 yards standing off hand ,450 grain 50-70 bullet at 1725 f/s over SR-4759 . The load is from a older Lyman book . I have the Lyman adjustable paper patch mold it will make bullets from 440 - 712 grains . Last loads I worked up with Swiss 1 1/2 FG was 150 grains over powder wad grease cookie and the 712 grain bullet paper patched . This load is not real stabile and is doing a consistent 1617 f/s the bullets have some YAW at close range I have not fired them past 100 yards yet.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    Firefly, just reading about those loads makes my shoulder hurt! I shoot a lot of 45-70 loads with 340 grain boolits over Unique at 1100-1150fps. Recoil of these in a 10-12 pound rifle is next to nothing. My long range load drives a 525 grain boolit at 1300 and those buck quite a bit. Going to shoot my first gong match with the 1874 this weekend. Hope to better my previous scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt H View Post
    Firefly, just reading about those loads makes my shoulder hurt! I shoot a lot of 45-70 loads with 340 grain boolits over Unique at 1100-1150fps. Recoil of these in a 10-12 pound rifle is next to nothing. My long range load drives a 525 grain boolit at 1300 and those buck quite a bit. Going to shoot my first gong match with the 1874 this weekend. Hope to better my previous scores.
    Makes my shoulder hurt just reading the .50-3.25" loads too!
    I own an 1880 vintage Sharps done by Freund Bros. and in .50-3.25 also. It's a 15 lb. rifle, and I have never fired it with full power loads that came with it. They are 1650 fps, with a 678 gr. bullet, and it scares me to even think what they'd feel like!
    I load reduced charges for my Sharps using 450 gr. bullets and a 100 grain charge of Swiss 1.5 fg, with filler over powder to eliminate air space. It's a very tolerable load in my heavy rifle, and easy on the shoulder. I think I could up it another 10 grs. to 110 grs. 1.5 fg, and still be easy to shoot.

Boolit Master

Now you know WHY I never fired the 50 in a match! I have a P.A.S.T. strap on recoil shoulder pad I shoot with on the range for hunting I only need one shot.

Sgt H I have a Marlin 1895 that I shoot the Lee 340 grain mold in with modern loads . The powder coated bullet of soft alloy weighed 354 grains the load averages 2168 f/s and groups under 2" at 100 yards . I have no real use for this much energy here in Michigan but it is a good load that has taken deer .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

[QUOTE=firefly1957;5612956]I ordered my Sharps Shilo in 1985 before Quigley went down under $961 & 6 week wait I ordered the 50-3 1/4" with 34" Number 1 taper barrel .
    It is a great shooting rifle I have never shot competition with it just target and hunting Michigan deer . QUOTE]

I have a friend who just ordered one, $4,000 and a two year wait. Worth it, though, from the ones I have seen.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=scattershot;5614033]
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I ordered my Sharps Shilo in 1985 before Quigley went down under $961 & 6 week wait I ordered the 50-3 1/4" with 34" Number 1 taper barrel .
    It is a great shooting rifle I have never shot competition with it just target and hunting Michigan deer . QUOTE]

I have a friend who just ordered one, $4,000 and a two year wait. Worth it, though, from the ones I have seen.
    They Sharps Shilo is well worth the money I am not sure about the wait but at 66 years old...

come to think of it I have gotten a couple good deals at honest gun shops because someone has never picked up a ordered item!
    Last edited by firefly1957; 08-21-2023 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Addition

Boolit Buddy
    Firefly, the twist rate in that older Shiloh is probably 1/36". Too slow to stabilize a bullet that long. Best stick with the 450s.

I no longer have a Shiloh, but having owned a few, there is none better! My last one being a 40 cal plain jane business rifle that was so much fun to hunt with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast