Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood lead levels.

Boolit Buddy

Blood lead levels.

I'm unsure if this is the proper area to post this question. Out of curiosity and because I already had to have blood work done for other reasons I asked my Dr for a requisition to test for lead levels. Got the results and was wondering if anyone else ever had higher than acceptable levels and what was done to get those levels back to normal. The reference range is max .10 and mine is.14.

Have you done a search of the Forum's archives? There have been extensive threads on this subject in the past.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dearslayer View Post
    I'm unsure if this is the proper area to post this question. Out of curiosity and because I already had to have blood work done for other reasons I asked my Dr for a requisition to test for lead levels. Got the results and was wondering if anyone else ever had higher than acceptable levels and what was done to get those levels back to normal. The reference range is max .10 and mine is.14.
    I am not sure what you physician told you, but if needed there are ways to lower metals in the blood. friend of mine that had worked as a contract toxicologist at a local EPA facility in gulf Breeze Florida all of a sudden got real sick and what were obviously incompetent MDs could not diagnose what was wrong.
    Out of desperation she went to someone that was a practitioner of traditional Chinese medicine and they told her she had a problem with metals. She lost her voice and all of her hair fell out. She had since regained most of her voice, the hair never grew back.
    What had happened is that she lost her ability to detoxify metals and so now with blood chelation they lowered the metals and she avoids what is likely to expose her to metals.
    Chelation therapy uses special drugs that bind to metals in your blood. You get the chelating medicine through an intravenous (IV) tube
    If concerned, wash you hands after shooting or handling lead. Also adequate ventilation when needed and common sense.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 08-12-2023 at 08:17 PM.

You might want to try chewing on spirulina tabs every day for a while.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    You might want to try chewing on spirulina tabs every day for a while.
    So I looked Spirulina on google and found
    The Role of Spirulina (Arthrospira) in the Mitigation of Heavy-Metal Toxicity: An Appraisal

Abstract

Heavy-metal toxicity imposes a potential worldwide threat to the environment and humans. Cadmium, mercury, lead, and arsenic are nonessential toxic heavy metals that are most frequently involved in environmental and health hazards. Conventional chelating agents are unsuitable for subchronic and chronic heavy-metal toxicities. Scientific literature reveals that Spirulina (Arthrospira), a photosynthetic filamentous cyanobacterium that is generally known as blue-green algae, alleviates experimentally induced heavy-metal toxicity. The present review attempts to summarize such studies regarding cadmium, mercury, lead, and arsenic toxicity. A total of 58 preclinical studies demonstrate the alleviative effect of Spirulina against experimental arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury toxicities. Five clinical studies reported protective effects of Spirulina against arsenic toxicity in humans. Clinical studies against three heavy metals were not found in the literature. The present literature study appears to show that Spirulina possesses promising heavy-metal toxicity-ameliorative effects that are mainly attributed to its intrinsic antioxidant activity.

The reference range is max .10 and mine is.14.
    If that is your blood's BHN Hardness, then you are in trouble.

Boolit Master

At a .14 BLL I wouldn’t start shopping for a burial plot. We went for BLL testing when hired and every six months after. My highest was .17. That was after it was discovered the air filtration system secondary filters were defective. At the next draw my level had went down to .11.
    Your BLL isn’t your biggest concern. The lead in blood migrates to calcium like your skeletal system. Thus a person with prior chronic lead exposure can test a low BLL and still have a high concentration of lead in their bones. Chelation is pretty effective for removing lead from the bloodstream. Not so much for lead in the skeletal structure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    At a .14 BLL I wouldn’t start shopping for a burial plot. We went for BLL testing when hired and every six months after. My highest was .17. That was after it was discovered the air filtration system secondary filters were defective. At the next draw my level had went down to .11.
    Your BLL isn’t your biggest concern. The lead in blood migrates to calcium like your skeletal system. Thus a person with prior chronic lead exposure can test a low BLL and still have a high concentration of lead in their bones. Chelation is pretty effective for removing lead from the bloodstream. Not so much for lead in the skeletal structure.
    There is an exchange or turn over rate. I would discuss this with someone that is a toxicologist MD
    about 2% per year for lead
    The bulk turnover rates for compact bone are about 2% per year and 8% for spine. Turnover activity varies with age and health. Even though lead approximates calcium, radium, strontium, barium, fluorine, and other bone seekers, the rates for each are different.

Boolit Buddy
    Because I melt my own lead and cast my own boolits I was just curious so I asked the Dr for the test. When he told me the level he just asked how often I handled lead and I said only once in a while. He didn't seem overly concerned about the level and suggested I just take a break from it and not handle it too often. His words not mine. It was a phone apt so I'll talk to him more about it when I see him in person in a couple weeks. I only asked here because I'm not familiar with what might be considered a high level and how to get it lower.

I had mine tested last summer, it took a couple of years for me to get a test, my (ex)doctor is a moron. I started asking for a blood lead level test and for 3 years she wrote it as a urine lead test, that doesn't exist. Finally convinced her to write it as a BLOOD test and did manage to get a test. It tested at 5. The doctor went into panic mode. SOMETHING HAD TO BE DONE AND DONE NOW!

I chose to call my best friend, a retired consulting pharmacist for geriatric patients. PHD from University of Chicago, his response was to not sweat it. He did some research, came up with the fact that virtually every teenager in 1970 had a blood level of 5 from the lead in leaded gas. Big city resident higher that country residents. At my age, it was not a big deal. At 5 years old it would be a concern.

Mine, I'm convinced comes from shooting pistols in a 1940's vintage indoor range that has horrible air circulation. Still shoot there once a week. And eat a donut while I'm shooting. Pretty sure the sugar will kill be before the lead dust in the air.

Or the Harley, or the iceboat.

Or the wife for me hanging around too many gun clubs, boat clubs and various places where I can practice the lessons I learned in a misspent youth.

Boolit Master

Always took the usual precautions over the years (I'm 83 plus now): do not smoke so that was not a problem, tried to stay upwind of a heating pot with lead melting as well as when using wax or sawdust to clean alloy, stand waaaay back when melting stick-on WW, wash well before eating, etc. Asked the dr. to check my blood lead level once when he said it was time for blood work. His nurse called me afterward and specifically stated: Your blood work is all very good. I tried to specifically ask about blood lead level and she said: You don't have a problem. So I take it that unless a person is not really careful around lead or other hazardous metals, unless they are forced to work around such the dangers are minimized if a little caution is exercised. Big Boomer.

A possible cause of lead exposure & often overlooked is a vibratory tumbler, Richard Lee wrote about people who were around him, that were exposed to high levels.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

For the average non-caster leaded gas was the common source of exposure. After China banned leaded gas childrens’ BLL decreased but not a great deal. Burning coal is a big contributor to BLL.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    For the average non-caster leaded gas was the common source of exposure. After China banned leaded gas childrens’ BLL decreased but not a great deal. Burning coal is a big contributor to BLL.
    Very true for China since they don't use scrubbers in the smokestacks. They built them without any pollution control measures thinking the West was going to pay for the pollution control measures with carbon credits.

In the US due to much stronger pollution control measures it's not an issue.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    A possible cause of lead exposure & often overlooked is a vibratory tumbler, Richard Lee wrote about people who were around him, that were exposed to high levels.
    Thanks, probably best to run those outside on a breeze part of the porch.

Boolit Master
    It's amazing I am still alive. First "real" job 4yrs. Worked in a shop where when we finished a product we then sand blasted it and cadmium plated it. Left there in 1967 and went to work in a chemical plant .33 yrs later retired. Since the 90's casting/reloading and shooting. Always had the lead levels checked and was told "normal".
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

If I were worried about it, I would just quit shooting.
    Guess I'm not worried about it.

Boolit Master
    ........ The reference range is max .10 and mine is .14.
    That must be in µmol/L of lead units. From this site: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003360.htm
    It says the range for adults is less than 10 micrograms per deciliter (µg/dL) or 0.48 micromoles per liter (µmol/L) of lead in the blood

It seems most labs tend to use ug/dL which is a larger number giving <10 ug/dL as the range for adults.

Boolit Master
    Read the very extensive prior threads on this site. Boiled down: With proper etiquette and clean up, casting is not really an issue. it is the salts and oxides of lead that much more easily absorbed into your bloodstream. lead styphanate from primers and oxidized lead dust from indoor ranges are the primary culprits for most shooters. Don't eat or smoke while handling lead, wash your brass in soap and water before putting it in a vibratory tumbler and wear a dust mask at the indoor range, and you should be fine. My levels went from the mid twenties down into the single digits in about 10 years after figuring this out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast