Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a "transfer"?

What is a "transfer"?

I just had to send a revolver back to the factory for repair or replacement. Did it legally, by contacting an FFL who will ship and receive it back.
    I've never done this before, so I was asking the FFL some questions. I was under the impression that an NICS background check was required to receive the pistol back. He told me this was not the case--as long as the person who dropped it off (ie, me) is the same person to pick it up.
    Is that correct? I'm just curious how it works.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master

You do not need an FFL to send a gun back to the factory for repair/replacement. You do not need to do another BATF form to receive it back. At least that was the way it was a couple of years ago when I had to send a revolver back to Ruger. I mailed it to them and they sent it back to my door.

It depend upon both your state's laws (which may require such), and the fact that GCA-68 (US Federal Law) specifically states that anyone can send a firearm to an FFL-holder (which the factory holds) and receive back the same firearm for a repair or customization w/o having to go through another NICS check.

However, if said firearm is replaced (different serial number), then it may be sent for a NICS check.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/atf-...paired-firearm
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Last time I sent a pistol back to the manufacturer for repair UPS picked it up at my home and returned it there too. I had to sign to receive it. Things may have changed in the past three years but as I understood it a transfer was only required if you were surrendering ownership to someone else.

Boolit Grand Master

That is correct for Federal requirements. State laws vary. Legally an FFL is not required to ship to a manufacture for repair. The currently is finding a carrier that will ship it, so some find it easier to just us an FFL. I've done it once with Taurus and once with S&W. The S&W was about five years ago. They sent a prepaid shipping label and they paid for the return so it was free. With the Taurus I had to pay both ways. That was about 15 years ago.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/atf-...paired-firearm

https://www.taurususa.com/support/shipments-returns
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-12-2023 at 04:01 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Hmm, well then maybe it's something particular for Rock Island. They were very specific about giving it to an FFL, and shipping from there. I also read that if the factory replaces it, with exactly the same model, that it was also not considered a transfer.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John in WI View Post
    Hmm, well then maybe it's something particular for Rock Island. They were very specific about giving it to an FFL, and shipping from there. I also read that if the factory replaces it, with exactly the same model, that it was also not considered a transfer.
    Just a guess but it appears they don't want to have to deal with the CA style State requirements.

Rock Island Armory Warranty RMA Form

https://559399.fs1.hubspotuserconten...20Fillable.pdf
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-13-2023 at 06:48 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

This was on the NSSF website: Finally, if the defective firearm is sent back to the manufacturer for warranty (or non-warranty) repair and the manufacturer chooses to replace that firearm with one of the same kind and type, 27 CFR 478.147 allows the transfer of that firearm to the individual who originally brought the defective firearm in for repair without a Form 4473 or background check. Both the acquisition and the disposition of the replacement firearm must be recorded in your acquisition and disposition records, however.

I guess either the repaired, or replaced revolver just gets recorded locally, and returned to me. I was just curious how it all works. Obviously want to be careful and 100% legal.

Boolit Master
    Yep. Kommiefornia doesn't just ruin it for us poor unfortunate residents, they take a dump in the swimming pool so that they can share the misery with everybody else.

What's the deal with Cali? You have to jump through some different hoops?

Banned
    The anti gunners, the Democrats, and the anti gun Republics are makeing a HUGE push right now to strip our guns from us. That terrible gun ban in Illinois when to the state's supreme court and they upheld the ban. Looks like the residents are going to have to take it to the Supreme Court. Also the ban that Biden (Obama) put on 80% guns was upheld and back in effect so that too is going to have to go to a higher court.

I say Lexington Bridge and Fort Sumter.

Boolit Master
    One of the reasons I moved out of California was.
    The gun laws are so detailed that it is best if you hire someone that is a " Hopi " indian to do anything with your guns.
    Remember the dance that Hopi Indians do.
    That shows you that they are the only ones who can jump thru hoops enough to satisfy the states requirements.

John in WI:" Where are you getting your info? All of it is wrong! You don't have to go thru an FFL to ship a gun for repair to any one, and you can receive it back without any BS as well. If the Mfg. Replaces the gun it will have a different SN and then you will have to DROS it again cuz it is a different gun. ( 4473 the Hunter Biden Form!)

DROS in CA runs anywhere form $65 to $100 so it kind of matters that you know the law. And You don't find out about the Laws by listening to your buddies or idiots at gun shops. You find out by Talking to your AG's office. And make them tell you EXACTLY what you need to know. Also make sure to record the call because if they won't tell you what you need to know, you are not liable if you get it wrong and get caught, and you've got the evidence that you tried to comply and they refused to help.. They are legally required to explain a Law to you because they are the top LE Office in your state. We are not all lawyers,,,Thank God!!!

Also if an outfit misunderstands the laws in your state and won't ship to you or whatever. Don't deal with them, they are idiots and you shouldn't deal with idiots because it makes you stoopid!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I was told--very specifically--by Rock Island armory that they would only accept the return through an FFL. They clearly said it would be refused and returned if I sent it myself. So I went the FFL route to make them happy. I was just curious what the return process was. From reading, it looks like as long as I am the one to pick it up, it is simply recorded in a log and returned to me. I was just trying to figure out what the law actually said about all this.

I'm not sure what DROS is? that's a Cali thing? I'm in the midwest.
    Also, the person I spoke with is the owner of the shop and FFL holder.

Perhaps RIA being headquartered in New York has something to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Correct me if I'm wrong; I thought the Supreme's struck down the 80% percent uppers confirming they are in fact Illegal.

I didn't know that. I didn't even look. They sent a shipping label, and I handed it off to the shop. It's not a big deal, I was just curious how the rules work. I was half-heartedly thinking of pursuing an FFL. In my case, it seems like a heck of a lot of work I don't have time for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    You do not need an FFL to send a gun back to the factory for repair/replacement. You do not need to do another BATF form to receive it back. At least that was the way it was a couple of years ago when I had to send a revolver back to Ruger. I mailed it to them and they sent it back to my door.
    This is how it works in my state.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Are you sure Ruger did not send you a shipping label?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast