Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Collect old presses????

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I just picked up an old CH single station H press. Seems like a very strong press. Need to actually load something on it,
    swamp
    I have one of those. I've used it for seating cores into jackets, when swaging bullets. There isn't much mechanical advantage, so it's a challenge to FL size certain calibers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

My presses aren't too old but I have a few, the oldest is an original Rockchucker that's probably nearing 50. I do collect and use vintage stuff other than presses. I snagged a really nice old Herters scale a while back. I would like to find an old Savage Super 8 press one of these days though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Savage Super 8 press
    Is that the same as a Savage Straight 8 press????

Boolit Master
    I've got some oldies but goodies and use everyone of them except for a C&H 12ga press that somebody gave me when he cleaned up after his father got out of the auction business. I ain't gonna do anything with it. Needs a new home.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have an old Herters "C" press that I kind of like, and will use one in a while.
    I recently seen someone post a photo of an old rusted tight Herter's "C" Press they seen at a fleamarket. I thought that would be a neat thing to use as a Boat anchor...seriously a boat anchor. Problem is I don't currently have a boat.
    They can be used as Door Stops ... you must have doors that need stops
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Wasn't there a poster on here,Pressman or something? He used to post about some really cool old stuff. Hope he's ok?

Boolit Master
    yep, good old press I say well they can be used as an anchor/doorstop/weightlifting moving them around. I with the rest I can't pass up a 20.00 / 30.00 press and if there's other items with it so much the better.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    Wasn't there a poster on here,Pressman or something? He used to post about some really cool old stuff. Hope he's ok?
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/mem...?5491-Pressman

He is OK.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I, for one, VERY MUCH miss his posts. I hope his "ban" is not a "forever one"! -- and, if not -- he returns!
    geo

I use one of these to break down (bullet pull) old reloads.

There is an old Forster turret (progressive?) press on evilbay right now.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I just picked up an old CH single station H press. Seems like a very strong press. Need to actually load something on it,
    swamp
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I, for one, VERY MUCH miss his posts. I hope his "ban" is not a "forever one"! -- and, if not -- he returns!
    geo
    YES! I miss the Pressman! Back to the original poster. Yep, I collect old tools and presses. Interestingly I kept hearing of a legendary press collector that had hundreds of presses and virtually every version of every press made. Sometimes Texas would be mentioned. As I proceeded on my Hollywood collection journey over the years I would pick up little bits of info on him in various places and chat pages, but I was sure it was urban legend, and of course, it would be a Texan. Many years go by and I happened to be in Texas picking up a couple of Hollywoods. I was just drifting off to sleep and my cell rang. It was the very legend I had been trying to track down all this time and it was all real! I was lucky enough to be invited to see his collection so on my way back from spending a few days with Hollywood Bob in Arizona. That collection was the stuff legends are made of! Hundreds of presses and the rarest Hollywood of the all, The "Progressive" in mint condition. I'm still in awe and remain good friends with him today. He is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. I won't mention his name to protect his anonimity. Sometime I'll tell you of the Hollywood Senior horde of 30 some presses I have been able to track down. This is getting too long.
    My best wishes to each and every one of you!
    John Wayne
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

My stepfather gave me an old Pacific (?) C press for which I could not find shell holders. It went to the boneyard, for which I will surely have to answer when I reach the pearly gates.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Yes, I have well over 50. When I try to brag on them or show them off I always get the " why don't you junk them and buy a good press?" I have good modern presses. I started just as an interest in old , long gone companies. Then you cab see the progression as reloading get more popular or refined, like from black to smokeless powder. Then I realized that a real comprehensive collection will include 100's or presses and get expensive.

Boolit Buddy
    I have Herters and old Lyman but the CV Schmitt #24 makes them look modern!!!

Only have the press, no dies or shell holders, but looks to be either an engineering marvel or nightmare.

I have:

RCBS A2
    Pre-War Pacific C
    Post-War Pacific Super C (black)
    Three Lyman AA Turret presses
    Two Lyman True-Line Jr. presses
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    I’ve got old presses, three Hollywoods, two All Americans and two Stars but I use them so it’s not about collecting. There great reliable presses so why not use them

Rick

Boolit Man
    What do you consider old?
    Because my son thinks anything over 5 years is old, anything over 15 is antique…….needless to say I don’t ask him what he thinks about me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    There wasn't much Pressman didn't know about reloading presses .
    On his advice I bought an Eagle Cobra 300 press , got a shell holder adapter from CH4D and put it back in service ... great advice and a neat little press ...
    I was hoping he would write a book on Presses ... I find the subject quite interesting .
    I think he may have been active on an Antique Tools forum/site but I can't find the link to it . I wish I could find him and ask about that book !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    My stepfather gave me an old Pacific (?) C press for which I could not find shell holders. It went to the boneyard, for which I will surely have to answer when I reach the pearly gates.

Wayne
    CH4D didn't have an adapter for the shell holders ...Bummer !

So far they've helped me get three presses adapters to use snap-in shell holders
    but none were Pacific ... Oh well you tried !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Well if anyone here needs an obsolete part made to get an old press up N running,PM me... we can get you fixed up. And no,this isn't a solicitation,a for sale,or anything more than to help folks out...just sayin. Danged disclaimers.

You will be required to make a dimensional drawing(dosen't need to be to scale).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast