WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Percolators

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Electric Percolators

In the Corps I had a 30 cup percolator. I made a fresh pot every Monday, plugged in daily. Once I was asked why I didn’t remove the grounds. I reheated it Monday, drank the mud while awaiting fresh. My Joe did keep me awake!

In the field I used 4 packs of the instant with 3 hot chocolate packs and 4 creamers. Good stuff! High test!
    Sterno rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fiberoptik; 08-13-2023 at 12:11 AM.

Reminds me of Dad's old all metal Craftsman drill. Made back in the 50s, and has never stopped working. I still use it today, even though the cordless drills are much more usable. But I've busted 3 of those things in the last 10 years.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by atfsux View Post
    Reminds me of Dad's old all metal Craftsman drill. Made back in the 50s, and has never stopped working. I still use it today, even though the cordless drills are much more usable. But I've busted 3 of those things in the last 10 years.
    Dad and my grandfather both bought a Craftsman drill in 1949. I was given my grandfather's in 1965 and wore it out a couple years ago, still have the chuck on another drill. Using it to drill all the holes in the walls of the block house I built was hard on it. I bought a hammer drill but wore it out and went back to the Craftsman.

Boolit Master

Electric Percolators

Our chrome Craftsman drill had a short or something in it. If we used it outside in wet grass our hair stood up. Really didn’t like that thing & stepdad never fixed it.
    I have 1 now and it doesn’t zap ⚡️ me. Much better.

Boolit Grand Master

Just got back from vacation at out camp. Nothing like making coffee in a stovetop percolator before bed then getting up at dawn and turning on the gas. That mellow coffee smell is Nirvana as you watch the sun come up and hear the Loons on the pond. Takes you right back to deer hunting camp as a kid.

Dawn on the deck with chickadee's and loons. 50 degrees and a nice fire drinking coffee just last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	317108
    Last edited by jonp; 08-16-2023 at 04:11 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

I have a blue granite ware stove top percolator I got from Grandpa... I keep it for when coffee drinkers visit... I had to give up coffee, gives me massive heartburn!

Boolit Master
    I can't vouch for electric percolators as I haven't used one of those in so many years that I can't even remember when the last time was. However, a regular percolator makes the best coffee ever. But for this to be true it needs to be made in a special way. First off, the coffee pot needs to be placed on the rocks at the edge of a campfire so it perks gently while you're fly fishing in the nearby creek. When you return with three trout the coffee should be done perking, so set the pot aside to let the grounds settle to the bottom. While that's happening put a frying pan on the fire and pour in some olive oil (from the tiny bottle you sneaked into your backpack). Slice up a potato and get it frying. Clean the trout and place them in the skillet too. About the time you need to flip the trout, take the pint mason jar out of your backpack that you have previously cracked three eggs into and pour the eggs into the skillet. Season everything with some salt & pepper and cook til done. Pour a cup of the best steaming hot coffee in the world (pinch of sugar optional) and take in the scenery as you enjoy an equally good breakfast. The best coffee in the world is made with a percolator and a campfire.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    In the Corps I had a 30 cup percolator. I made a fresh pot every Monday, plugged in daily. Once I was asked why I didn’t remove the grounds. I reheated it Monday, drank the mud while awaiting fresh. My Joe did keep me awake!

In the field I used 4 packs of the instant with 3 hot chocolate packs and 4 creamers. Good stuff! High test!
    Sterno rules!

I was high-tech I carried a whisper lite. There was always room in my pack for it. I never went to the field without it, once I bought it. The coffee recipe was about the same!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    +1 more for the Farberware Superfast. I sorta collect those with the gold badge, I give them to friends as wedding gifts, housewarming gifts, etc. I have used one every day for years and years. Every bit as bold as a brew from the French Press, but 75% less sediment in your cup.

The originals, made in Brooklyn, the best ones are the early ones, look for

Gold Badge, 2 line address on bottom that reads:

S.W. FARBER, INC.
    NEW YORK, N.Y.

These tend to have the longer brew times, and my favorites are the "knockers" some knock harder than others when they brew.

Farberware was sold numerous times, other gold badge units have 3 line addresses on the bottom, stating they are a division of LCA made in Bronx NY or Kidde corp. made in Yonkers, NY. These were later units, the components had started their decline in quality, made cheaper, and the pots aren't as consistent as the early models.

I don't even bother with the black/red badge units, or any of the gold badge units with 3 line address. You can still find pristine examples of the gold badge, 2 line address percolators on auction for less than $50 most times.

EDIT: Here is a link to one exactly as I describe, cheap and Gold badge, 2 line address, they don't get any better than this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/14523854140...Bk9SR5youoe9Yg

In the years I have used them, I have probably gone through 15 or more of the small model 134 4 cup models, one quit working, and another time the power cord gave it up and these are the only two failures out of probably 30 or more vintage gold badge units that I have owned and used at some point. The rest of them are still brewing the best coffee after what 60+ years? This is the kind of quality that won WWII, that gave us the 1950s Chevrolet classics, made good back then.

Cleaning these is a piece of cake if you use a lye bath. Mix up 1/4 lb of Roebic (100% lye crystals) drain cleaner (Lowe's) with 1gal water, soak the internal parts in this lye solution, fill the body of the pot with the lye solution and let it sit for a couple of days. Your internals will come out looking like BRAND NEW! The lye will clean all the nooks and crannies where coffee oils hide and turn dark. The lye will clean places conventional soaking and scrubbing can't reach. Just DO NOT immerse the bottom of the pot in water or any cleaning solution.
    There was a thread about these a couple years ago, where you talked about them, so they have been in the back of my mind ever since. One day, about a year ago, I seen a couple at a garage sale. One was in the free bin (without a cord) and another on marked $1 (with a cord). I brought both of them home...they are sitting on the shelf. Maybe someday I try them out?
    Why I have never been in a rush to try them out? I am use to the coffee from a Gevalia coffee maker with cone style filter, except I use the reusable brass filter...or maybe it's SS?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    +1 more for the Farberware Superfast. I sorta collect those with the gold badge, I give them to friends as wedding gifts, housewarming gifts, etc. I have used one every day for years and years. Every bit as bold as a brew from the French Press, but 75% less sediment in your cup.…

Cleaning these is a piece of cake if you use a lye bath. Mix up 1/4 lb of Roebic (100% lye crystals) drain cleaner (Lowe's) with 1gal water, soak the internal parts in this lye solution, fill the body of the pot with the lye solution and let it sit for a couple of days. Your internals will come out looking like BRAND NEW! The lye will clean all the nooks and crannies where coffee oils hide and turn dark. The lye will clean places conventional soaking and scrubbing can't reach. Just DO NOT immerse the bottom of the pot in water or any cleaning solution.
    Thanks for the info on how to clean them. I only remembered the little sheet metal “finger” that was twisted in the center hole to scrape it clean.
    Worked great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I can't vouch for electric percolators as I haven't used one of those in so many years that I can't even remember when the last time was. However, a regular percolator makes the best coffee ever. But for this to be true it needs to be made in a special way. First off, the coffee pot needs to be placed on the rocks at the edge of a campfire so it perks gently while you're fly fishing in the nearby creek. When you return with three trout the coffee should be done perking, so set the pot aside to let the grounds settle to the bottom. While that's happening put a frying pan on the fire and pour in some olive oil (from the tiny bottle you sneaked into your backpack). Slice up a potato and get it frying. Clean the trout and place them in the skillet too. About the time you need to flip the trout, take the pint mason jar out of your backpack that you have previously cracked three eggs into and pour the eggs into the skillet. Season everything with some salt & pepper and cook til done. Pour a cup of the best steaming hot coffee in the world (pinch of sugar optional) and take in the scenery as you enjoy an equally good breakfast. The best coffee in the world is made with a percolator and a campfire.
    I'm not certain on some of your details, so would appreciate a field demonstration if I could come down ?

Boolit Master
    I use a 4 cup Faberware every day . perfect for me only
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

My 8 cup keeps me in java all day.

I have a 40 cup electric that we've used for a couple weddings. I have 2 stove top ones that basically only get used in the woodstove months. Awesome coffee but I did buy an electric drip for ease of use when company comes. Usually I have hot water on the stove and just use my Cilio pour over to fill my 4 cup mug for the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    The older electric pots make coffee hotter than anything on the market now. The lawyers replaced the design guys.
    The drip makers never get the water as hot as a percolator. It seemed to me that the perc I used for a while was at least as fast as a drip maker when making a full pot.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Dad used one for many years bit when it went he moved to a "modern" newfangled filtered pot. Unfortunately we haver a regular brew pot on the counter and Mama banned Kcup cup a while ago. I am on the lookout for a camp stove percolator for the camper to move some mundane heat stuff outside. Most around here call them "antique" and want a fortune for them.

This does bring back a sad memory though, in my early crayon eating days. The Company Maintenance shop had a coffee mess centered around an old large 40 cup perk pot of dubious sanitary condition. The Maintenance chief (Viet Nam Vet) ruled the mess with and iron fist and it was the duty of the one who opened the office every morning and a second pot was brewed at lunchtime and don't be coming by with a thermos or 6 cup mug. It was brewed strong and severe punishment (and scorn) was given to the individual who made it too strong or too weak since the old chewed up Styrofoam cup was perfectly hacked off to the correct and exacting quantity and the number of scoops clearly written in sharpie on the side. Several years later we made the fun vacation trip to Kuwait for the first dust up and the pot and several cans of coffee accompanied us to the warm sands along with the other priority office supplies. Unfortunately after all those years of faithful service it expired one morning and kept tripping the breaker on the generator. Attempts were made to resuscitate it, since we were a maintenance shop but apparently the multiple moves were too much for it. Word quickly spread thought the Company and that evening the beloved pot was given a full and proper military funeral with the Entire Company in a box formation around the grave (well burn pit) and the Maintenance Officer provided the eulogy, the Bn Chaplain said a few kind words of condolence and taps and a 21 gun (blank) salute was performed as the sun set.
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Bub
    Suitable replacements for the old tried and true appliances of yesteryear are few and far between these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12