RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First lever gun, what was yours?

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin 39 Golden Mountie. Bought used in '74, still have it. Need to scope it now LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    Late summer 1972, the Destroyer I was on had our last raffle to fund a Ship's party when we returned to the Philippines after our last stint of the coast of VN. I bought one 5$ ticket and won a Winchester 64A in .30-30.

Spring of 1974 while attending college my apt was robbed and it was part of the thieves loot. 2007 I bought another, LNIB... but it was a little pricier than that 1st one!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master

Grew up shooting a Marlin 39A with my dad. That one was stolen on a B&E when I was 12, wanted one ever since. I have several Marlins now but no 39A, I can’t believe what they bring now. I do LOVE my Marlin 45-70’s though, been waiting two years for a new Ruger made 45-70 but no joy yet — I refuse to pay Gunbroker prices for this gun……..

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Well, my brother and I where both given a Ithaca Model 49 lever gun one year for Christmass! Wish I could remember the date but I have slept since then. Still have it, I wore the little ejector out!

Was shooting it one day and went to look at my target, came back to the tree we were shooting. Loaded back up looked down the barrel and my front sight was gone! Got on my hands a knees and swept/patted the grass with both hands, and found it! Half the distance to the target.

Thanks Wilco for bringing that memory back!
    The only thing I had to worry about back then, was the next box 50/100 round box of ammo!
    Good times.
    Last edited by 45workhorse; 08-24-2023 at 10:43 PM.

Boolit Bub
    My first levergun was my first centerfire.....a mid-70s Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. My father bought it new, at Walmart,
    for about $80. I have killed a truck load of deer with that gun.

Mine is an Ithaca single shot .22. Traded a Czech break open .177 pellet rifle for it when I was in High School.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Ain't that the truth!
    Attachment 316995
    veeman, that gunshop is still wondering where their levergun inventory is! My first was a Marlin 30-30 bought used at Stewarts Sport Shop in Birmingham, Al in 1969. At that time most deer hunting in the deep south was done with dogs and shotguns. Man, I though I was the Jack O'Conner of Alabama with that rifle. As per my nature, it got traded away and I was without one for 45 yrs until I bought a 1895 45/70. I just added a 338 in 30-30 and it's home to stay.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    If bb guns count, then it was the daisy 94, which looked just like a Winchester. several years later (mid 1960's) it was followed by a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem, which I unfortunately sold in 1970 when I returned from my little tour with the Big Red One. wish I had not done that, but it is ok now as I have 5, all in 35Rem. we can learn from our mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy45 View Post
    Marlin 39 Golden Mountie. Bought used in '74, still have it. Need to scope it now LOL.
    Keep the iron sights and politely ask targets to move closer.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by panhed65 View Post
    If bb guns count, then it was the daisy 94, which looked just like a Winchester.
    They count.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Since I saw this thread I have been thinking back 60 years or more and am not sure if my first lever gun was a "POP" gun or a lever action cap gun?
    I do remember the first thing I did with the popgun was cut the string to the cork that went in the muzzle a lot of flies and other bugs fell to that thing! When the cork was lost the muzzle was stuck in the mud for an effecting bug load.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

winchester 1894 in 30-30 lost in a divorce
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

Ithaca Model 49
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Ithaca 49 I had to share with my younger brother. His 2nd daughter has it now. In 1968 I got a new Winchester 150 carbine for Christmas, which I still have. Shot the devil out of it. With a scope it shoots very well for a low priced gun. Always liked the appearance of the lever action so now most of my center-fire long guns are lever actions (up to 47-70).

Boolit Mold
    Did things a bit backwards. Bought the Winchester 94 years ago in a hardware store and then, years later, the Red Ryder to match the one Santa brought to our son. I'll be taking the Red Ryder outside shortly to deal with a couple of invasive species, one reptilian and the other of the amphibian persuasion. The 94 stands a few steps away, for other things. These times.
    Last edited by PriseDeFer; 09-03-2023 at 11:59 AM.

Boolit Mold
    The first lever rifle I used much was a Mossberg 30-30 that was actually my wife's rifle. It was more accurate than my father in law's Marlin but I was a Jack O'Connor fan in those days and wanted a 270 bolt rifle.

It was years later I purchased my first lever rifle .... I Marlin 444. Wish I still had it

Boolit Master
    Having just read this thread, it’s interesting how many had a lever BB gun as their 1st. I did Tim!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy
    My first lever gun was my fathers 1894 Winchester chambered in 38-55 . I did some research and found that it left the factory in April 1897 . Most of the bluing gone but still a real good shooter . I still have it after all those years . It has been in the family for 75 yrs . Sad but I have no one in the family to leave it . Paul

Boolit Master

Bought a beat to pieces Win 94 at a gunshow when I was 14yrs old. Had to wait almost 6wks before I could afford a box of ammo.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub

Savage is a favorite

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 99 leaves.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	317902 Savage 99 in .308 has put much meat on our table across the decades of use. TR
    Last edited by T.R.; 09-13-2023 at 02:08 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast