Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ka-Boom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I wonder if it was a real 03a3 or a national ordinance receiver parts gun? Finding the bolt with the lugs intact makes me wonder as I've heard the nationals were brittle.
    I had never heard that, and would like to hear more discussion on the subject. Got a 1903A3 Frankenfield sitting here waiting for me to get my youngest back to employed independence with an NO action in it. Already wasn't planning on using full-house military rounds in it. Just wanted a nice CB shooter for MilSurp matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I had never heard that, and would like to hear more discussion on the subject. Got a 1903A3 Frankenfield sitting here waiting for me to get my youngest back to employed independence with an NO action in it. Already wasn't planning on using full-house military rounds in it. Just wanted a nice CB shooter for MilSurp matches.
    GarandsAndTokarevs · #4 · Jan 3, 2022

“Penney arranged for Rimer Casting to manufacture a test run of cast receivers for research into the feasibility of using them to manufacture National Ordnance 1903A3 rifles in 30-06 caliber. After receiving the test run, machining, and hardening, Penney submitted the receivers for ballistic strength testing to H.P. White Laboratory, Incorporated of Street, MD. White Laboratory determined these cast receivers were more than strong enough to function safely with 30-06 ammunition. [The Springfield 1903 Rifles by Colonel William S. Brophy].”

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/na...eeded.1209334/
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Over my may years of reloading the only mistakes I have made is failure to put powder in the case. The only problem occures if you fail to remove bullet from the barrel and believe me a primer can drive the bullet pretty far up the spout.
    I've had this happen. In the heat of the moment, I extracted the case that didn't fire after waiting a full minute only to find it had fired. I thought I hadn't reloaded after the last shot so I chambered a fresh round but the bolt wouldn't close.

At that time, I was using a loading philosophy of using a load density that would prevent a bullet from being pushed back into the case far enough to chamber the round on top of a bullet stuck in the throat. So, that philosophy saved the day. The incident led to a whole rethink of loading and shooting practices. I've never had an unpowdered case again.

Another practice I used was for reduced powder charges. The charge would always be more than half the case volume so a double charge would overflow, or a double charge would still be within the usable range for that powder. Now I also shine a light into every sing case before seating a bullet/boolit. No exceptions. So far so good.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I've had this happen. In the heat of the moment, I extracted the case that didn't fire after waiting a full minute only to find it had fired. I thought I hadn't reloaded after the last shot so I chambered a fresh round but the bolt wouldn't close.

At that time, I was using a loading philosophy of using a load density that would prevent a bullet from being pushed back into the case far enough to chamber the round on top of a bullet stuck in the throat. So, that philosophy saved the day. The incident led to a whole rethink of loading and shooting practices. I've never had an unpowdered case again.

Another practice I used was for reduced powder charges. The charge would always be more than half the case volume so a double charge would overflow, or a double charge would still be within the usable range for that powder. Now I also shine a light into every sing case before seating a bullet/boolit. No exceptions. So far so good.
    I shoot a lot of .22 rim fire for bullseye pistol shooting. If a shot does not sound right I stick cleaning down the barrel. This is not for safety but to prevent bulging a barrel from a bullet struck in the barrel. .22 rimfire blowback semiautos do not blow up or kaboom from obstructed barrels in my experience, but the bulge does ruin the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I shoot a lot of .22 rim fire for bullseye pistol shooting. If a shot does not sound right I stick cleaning down the barrel. This is not for safety but to prevent bulging a barrel from a bullet struck in the barrel. .22 rimfire blowback semiautos do not blow up or kaboom from obstructed barrels in my experience, but the bulge does ruin the barrel.
    That reminds of a story I heard. This person had a revolver that fired an anemic lead boolit. Every year, he would fire this thing on New Years Eve. Then for some reason he took it to a gunsmith who discovered that it had years worth of bullets stuck in the barrel, stacked up behind each other!

I have had it that I fired my suppressed rifle and just heard a click. The shot went off normally but the conditions were such that there was no noise reflected back. If I recall, I did actually hear the bullet strike in the distance. But one can see how easily it could happen that a bullet gets lodged in the barrel without notice. In this case I was suspicious but I don't remember what I did about it. I may have checked the bore. In fact, thinking about it, I'm sure I did.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-29-2023 at 01:35 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    This reminds me at age 78 to double check everything. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ums/kaboom.24/
    Thank you for posting that, I will forever crimp all my pistol loads now.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    This why I talk out loud to myself when reaching up to my powder shelf to retrieve a can of powder when starting a loading session. I hold the can and read the powder manufacturer and name, then look down at the load data and read the Powder name, then repeat this a few times. It may seem over cautious but the consequences of being wrong justify it. Once I'm totally convinced that I have the proper powder, ONLY that 1 can of powder is allowed on the bench until I am done with it and then it goes back up on the powder shelf which is high enough that I have to really stretch to reach it.
    That is a great idea that I am going to copy. I label my powder measures, but forcing myself to read the label out loud will reduce the chance of a error on my part.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234