WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looks like another loser from Winchester

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    I think I read the comment you read. The cartridge makes sense taking that into consideration.

Here’s a “million dollar idea” for the people complaining about ammunition unavailability for the new cartridge. Build something like a Lee factory crimp die that will squeeze 22 long rifle down so it will chamber in the smaller bore...
    Now you can have endless ammunition options.
    I want to stand back and watch you swage a rimfire cartridge.....

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I want to stand back and watch you swage a rimfire cartridge.....
    I’ll do it all day with a tool build similar to what I described. You probably don’t know how the Lee FCD works...

I’ll do it all day with a tool build similar to what I described. You probably don’t know how the Lee FCD works...
    Since the case is the same size, you'll only be swaging the bullet. How long will a 40 grain bullet be after swaging? Will it fit into the .21 Sharp chamber? Will the twist stabilize it? Inquiring minds, and all that......

Better maybe to pull the LR bullet and replace it with a .21 caliber one? Would have to be gas checked if cast.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Build my tool and send me a barrel and I’ll try it out for you and report back.

What’s the twist rate for 21 Sharp barrels? I didn’t pay that much attention. I have no need for one. There are more options than 40 grain for 22LR.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Since the case is the same size, you'll only be swaging the bullet. How long will a 40 grain bullet be after swaging? Will it fit into the .21 Sharp chamber? Will the twist stabilize it? Inquiring minds, and all that......

Better maybe to pull the LR bullet and replace it with a .21 caliber one? Would have to be gas checked if cast.
    Bullet pull and replacement might be better.

I found the twist rate as 1:12 and the Berger stability calculator showed marginally stable with a 40 grain bullet with 0.210” diameter fired at sea level. I entered the bullet length as 0.55” just as a guess. 1200 FPS entered in the calculator.

33-36 grain truncated cone bullets at higher velocity might not grow in length as bad. Might actually stabilize?

None of this really matters though does it? The people that will benefit most from the new cartridge will be getting it to comply/conform and the rest of us are happy with lead and 22s.
    Last edited by Barry54; 09-07-2023 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added FPS above

Boolit Master
    I live in MT. I think I'll be dead by the time MT bans lead. Probably sooner than I'll run out of 22lr.

Boolit Master
    How many rifles in .17 Winchester Super Magnum have you seen? The one made on the 27 caliber nailgun brass. They had them on the shelf in Academy a few years ago when you couldnt find any of the ammo people really wanted.
    Also, wasn't there another round called the 22 AMAC or something, which was basically a 22 WMR shortened to 22LR length for use in one of the full auto American 180's? That would lend itself to non heeled bullets as well, but would require a 22wrm boltface and possibly a mag swap.as well as a rechamber.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    Well, the FCD needs some upwards force on the die to work. There's nothing on a 22LR to press against, other than the bullet itself. So you might have an issue with the bullets being setback into the case by the time you swaged them to the inside diameter of the case.

Of course you could activate it some other way, but seems like you might end up with 4 flanges around the bullet, trying to swage it with a collet.

You could pull the bullets and reseat new ones. 22 Reloader already sells a 22LR shellholder and crimp die. Just need a bullet mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    Well, the FCD needs some upwards force on the die to work. There's nothing on a 22LR to press against, other than the bullet itself.
    The Lee collet crimp die only puts pressure on the cartridge at the crimp line. That is to squeeze the cartridge neck to crimp it.

The pressure to activate the collet FCD is between the shell holder and the die body. Which is held by the top of the press. A collet FCD can be activated without even having a cartridge in place.

45_Colt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234