RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Mk6 Webley memory

Boolit Master

Mk6 Webley memory

I lucked into this from a fellow collector. The cylinder latch spring was broken but Numrich had them new made so I bought 2 of them. Drop-in perfect function. The cylinder is faced off to allow .45 acp in moon-clips. That's probably why I was able to buy this for under $200 at the time.

The original 6 digit serial number was lined out and a new N-prefix number stamped in, which I was told indicated "navy" issue in WW2. Its dated 1918.

How did it shoot? Unimpressed with a bullet so slow you could throw rocks at the target faster. But its a Webley and a bona fide collectable, to a degree with the cylinder modifed. I loaded .45 AutoRim with Hornday cowboy 250 gr .454" swaged with a light load of Swede gallery powder (similar to Unique).

This was not my first Webley. My first was a Mk1 back in 1966. Cost me $27. I shot WW2 jacketed military ammo through it.

I must like Webleys as I have the Webley Story by Dowd. Expensive book on the subject but has everything in it.

Dutch

Very nice. Like them too. I compete with them as my cas club allows DAs. At this shoot I shot them single action duelist just to be fair. Have a .455 MkIV, standard barrel MkVI and a rare short barrel Irish Constabulary [I think] MKVI. Great revolvers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7356E090-1CF9-49CA-A826-3E17DB82982D.jpeg  

Boolit Master
    Very nice-- Mine is RAF 1918. Since you have some of the books, I assume you know that the 45 acp that you use with moon clips should not be full 45 acp loads. Full 45 acp is rated at 21,000 psi and The Webley Mk VI is rated to 13,200 psi. Some people will tell you they have shot regular 45acp with no problems, which is only true for limited loads. The problem is that the stress from 45 acp is very similar to the proof load test used for the Webley's, but way above the long term max fatigue limit. Over time the cylinder will start to crack-- and then kaboom. Depending on the type of 45 acp load the failure point comes somewhere around 1000-15000 rounds, which makes it very unpredictable. The Webley factory rating of 13,200 psi puts the cylinder stress at a point where there is pretty much no limit to the number of rounds it can take.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Very nice-- Mine is RAF 1918. Since you have some of the books, I assume you know that the 45 acp that you use with moon clips should not be full 45 acp loads. Full 45 acp is rated at 21,000 psi and The Webley Mk VI is rated to 13,200 psi. Some people will tell you they have shot regular 45acp with no problems, which is only true for limited loads. The problem is that the stress from 45 acp is very similar to the proof load test used for the Webley's, but way above the long term max fatigue limit. Over time the cylinder will start to crack-- and then kaboom. Depending on the type of 45 acp load the failure point comes somewhere around 1000-15000 rounds, which makes it very unpredictable. The Webley factory rating of 13,200 psi puts the cylinder stress at a point where there is pretty much no limit to the number of rounds it can take.
    Fully aware

Dutch

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Fully aware

Dutch
    Oh--excellent (you'd never guess I'm an engineer-- we tend to get into lecture mode on occasion ). Great revolver!
    Hick: Iron sights!

Love my mk.vi. there's a lot of fun in lobbing big chunks of lead at low velocity!
    I got some autorim brass; its really fun to let the ejector pop the cases out like God intended.
    Known traffic menace

Boolit Master
    Nice revolvers with a long history. Thanks for sharing.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master

Cool………
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek