RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing old disgracefully

Growing old disgracefully

Today, despite cancer, heart disease, motor accidents and stupidity, I reached 79 years of age, wow!
    For those who know they ain't gonna make it, it's not everything it's cracked up to be, for those others who will good luck to you all.
    I don't know what it is but my joints are all 79 but my eyes are still 16, I mean every good looking woman gets my xray vision. I just wish I could see my targets as clearly.
    I don't know what the rest of you old guys think but often I wonder what would have happened if I chosen alternatives to the decisions I've made in my time. I've no regrets, I have 3 kids and I love them equally several wives and partners and I loved them too.
    But I also got a win 94 in 30/30 and I want it buried with me!

Well, just saying.

Boolit Master

I think about the same stuff - Just keep put'n one foot in front of the other. God Bless
    Being human is not for sissies.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Braddock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you have many more.

As the old saying goes "growing old ain't for sissies" and it's "no bowl of cherries". Some have said that these are the "golden years". No. They're the metallic years " silver in our hair" that is if you have any, "gold in our mouths" and "lead in our butts". I remind myself that if you wake up in the morning the day is off to a good start.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Happy birthday to you. Every day is important.
    I am also looking at end of life stuff only because none of us have a choice in the matter.
    Cataract surgery scheduled early next year.
    Pinched nerve in T4.
    Sore joints.
    But my systems (heart, lungs, kidneys, digestive, etc.) are all strong and healthy....it's just the supporting systems that are falling apart.
    Getting the property into a trust so the kids can have an inheritance.
    Getting the guns inventoried and paperwork done so my son can get them (he can't wait for me to croak ). He can't wait to get his hands on the NFA stuff.
    My late mother made it to 96 so I hope I have some time left.
    At 75, I look at other guys my age that were rode hard and put away wet, and i don't think I am doing so bad.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I agree with everything that's said. I'm one of the fortunate few to have had few health issues. Cataracts fixed last year. Disconnected bicep last year also fixed. Missed last hunting season. Good to go this coming season. Was 80 last month. Have been truly blessed.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Heavens above, good to read the responses, I'm well past the age both my parents reached before dying, my elder brother is in his 80s now and still working up near Seattle he suffers the same heart condition as me, so, perhaps, this AF is under control.
    I love that analogy of metal years, in my case the lead is in my legs.
    I keep discovering that only one thing doesn't get harder as you age .

Boolit Grand Master

Happy Birthday!

Moderator Emeritus

Happy birthday. My gf and I are both in a bit of pain today from weather, etc. Both have bad backs, neck, and even had almost the exact same L4-5 surgery two months apart. Tried nerve burnings and such but oh well. Like you I thought would indo anything different. Nope. I've had a good life so far (63), two great kids, divorced but met a phenomenal woman. Pain sucks but beats the alternative. Just wish I could travel more than a out two hours so I could see me kids more. Oh well. Enjoy your day. You earned it.
    Ron

Happy Birthday! And I hope you have many more.

Happy Birthday and a toast to those that fell too early!

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Happy birthday braddock !! 🍺 Wishing you many more!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you have many more.

As the old saying goes "growing old ain't for sissies" and it's "no bowl of cherries". Some have said that these are the "golden years". No. They're the metallic years " silver in our hair" that is if you have any, "gold in our mouths" and "lead in our butts". I remind myself that if you wake up in the morning the day is off to a good start.
    You left out the titanium in our joints LOL I have enough metal in me to set off airport scanners... and the one at the local social security office where the guard rolls his eyes and waves you in because many of the old people do it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Happy birthday. My gf and I are both in a bit of pain today from weather, etc. Both have bad backs, neck, and even had almost the exact same L4-5 surgery two months apart. Tried nerve burnings and such but oh well. Like you I thought would indo anything different. Nope. I've had a good life so far (63), two great kids, divorced but met a phenomenal woman. Pain sucks but beats the alternative. Just wish I could travel more than a out two hours so I could see me kids more. Oh well. Enjoy your day. You earned it.
    Ron
    Pain is a reminder we are still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by braddock View Post
    I don't know what the rest of you old guys think but often I wonder what would have happened if I chosen alternatives to the decisions I've made in my time. I've no regrets,
    I sometimes wonder about that too.
    I've concluded that there are a few things I'd have done differently, but I ain't got no big apologies to be handing around either.

Happy birthday, and I hope you can confidently keep buying green bananas for a long time to come.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

77 myself - fwiw if i thought that i'd make it this far i would have taken better care of myself -

live fast - die young - leave a good looking corpse - majority achieve at least one of the three -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Happy 79th.
    Just returned from the vampires, 11 vials of juice. You can always tell how good you are doing by the # of vials they draw. Like the # of pills, better living, or maybe still living, through chemistry.
    Hope you have a good internist. They are gold at or near 80.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

GeeeeZ......We are all geezers here.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Happy Birthday Braddock. Congratulations. May your future be blessed with smooth roads, and your suspension be adequate.
    Wow, I must be one of the young'uns here. I'll be 74 in November. Never really thought of myself as being old, just older. There is a difference. Lots of things I don't do anymore. Lots of things I can't do any more. I feel guilty watching the young ones in the family do what I used to be able to do. Used to do a brake job on my vehicles with both legs folded under neath my butt. I used to be able to put both my legs behind my head. Now I'm lucky if I can get my legs to bend past 90°. Oh, did I mention every joint in my body? I will be very blessed if my Lord takes me in my sleep.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy
    I am 82 plus, and yeah we are too soon old and too late wise.................my eye's still work too....tho they've had internals replaced........hey, beats hell out of the alternative......sides, I am still 17...in my mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast