Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When did you fall in love with the SKS?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Bought one for 7 cent ammo that I didn’t need to reload. That was love. Then some idiot chambers a handgun for it and the 7 cent ammo is gone overnight. Now it is a somewhat less than elegant knock around rifle that doesn’t do anything that something else I own doesn’t do better. It comes out of the safe every couple of years. We have fun and then back into the safe she goes.
    That sums it up nicely for me too.........
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thumbs up

TD1886, Thanks, TD. The other CB in the photo is a Lee 8mm 175gr. Mau. bullet sized to .3155" to fit the aforementioned SKS. It is a tack driver as well, but resizing is hard on the die and the operator (LOL) so I don't recommend it or do it regularly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    TD1886, Thanks, TD. The other CB in the photo is a Lee 8mm 175gr. Mau. bullet sized to .3155" to fit the aforementioned SKS. It is a tack driver as well, but resizing is hard on the die and the operator (LOL) so I don't recommend it or do it regularly.
    Yes I know what you mean on that sizing. I've also shot the 311284 and 314299 out of my SKS. I was surprised how well they shot.

Thumbs up

I've used Ly. #314299 in the Norinco SKS as well: You're right TD, it shot almost as well as the Harris CB.

At the time I bought my new Norinco for about $100, there were no new semi auto center fires anywhere near that price range, let alone a real battle rifle. Ammo at $2 per box of 20 was also a deal.

I don’t know know if I love it, but I certainly like it a lot for what it is.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't call it love, but my fondness started in the late 80's. I personally like them better than the AK and the AR. Based on the fact you couldn't buy a gun rag for several years that didn't have an AR on the cover I'm in the minority. To each his own.

Boolit Master

I never loved it but I can tell you precisely when I learned to hate that piece of Chinese junk.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    The day I sold it for $350.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    The day I sold it for $350.
    That's the best answer yet.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    I enjoy mine a great deal but love? Eh. Probably more in love with other rifles in my "arsenal."

--Wag--
    I'm in the same boat...or should I say "Was in the same boat."
    I don't currently own one, but have had many throughout the 90s.
    My SIL currently has the only Russian I owned, that one was pretty sweet, but it was still an SKS.
    Honestly IMHO, the best functioning/shooting examples, were the older Chinese ones with machined trigger groups.

Oh, I had 2 or 3 of the AK variants...Now those were JUNK. One of them was bought from a small town Pawnshop run by a friend of mine. He said, if I bought a case of x39 ammo (1100rds) for $100, he'd throw in the AK for free.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

My Brother and I both bought one in the 90's. Mine will shoot as good as I can. Put Tech-sights on it and we are good to go. 921 compliant with the Tapco stock, mag, floor plate and other US upgrades it's a cool little gun. My Brother just passed away and now I have a stock SKS and my compliant SKS. I can't sell either. I fell in like when I shot under an inch with cast boolits, but fell in love when it felt like my brother was shooting with me.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    My Brother and I both bought one in the 90's. Mine will shoot as good as I can. Put Tech-sights on it and we are good to go. 921 compliant with the Tapco stock, mag, floor plate and other US upgrades it's a cool little gun. My Brother just passed away and now I have a stock SKS and my compliant SKS. I can't sell either. I fell in like when I shot under an inch with cast boolits, but fell in love when it felt like my brother was shooting with me.
    I believe 922 R compliance is for importers only, I'm sure someday it may become common law. But as far as I know, this is not the case.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

Section 922R comes into play the moment you swap out any part for another. Having thoroughly 'Tapco'd' mine, I learned just how dumb 922R is.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

[ love ] - has not ever happened to me, even when they were selling for $59.95 -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    [ love ] - has not ever happened to me, even when they were selling for $59.95 -
    Wish I seen them at that price.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

About the time Obomba got elected, I snagged a few of them and began to appreciate them for what they are. I joined Survivors SKS Forum and pretty much lived there for quite awhile. I've done about everything you can do to modify one Norinco, including a pretty slick scope mount that fastens (drill and tap) to the receiver, and still allows disassembly.

I had two nice Russian refurbs, and just gave one of them to my best bud. I guess I've still got three of em. I reload for them, and cast bullets also. Got plenty of the old Yugo, and Russian Tula ammo, and prolly enough brass to load a thousand or so.

The last time I popped in over at the Survivor Forum it was a ghost town. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    About the time Obomba got elected, I snagged a few of them and began to appreciate them for what they are. I joined Survivors SKS Forum and pretty much lived there for quite awhile. I've done about everything you can do to modify one Norinco, including a pretty slick scope mount that fastens (drill and tap) to the receiver, and still allows disassembly.

I had two nice Russian refurbs, and just gave one of them to my best bud. I guess I've still got three of em. I reload for them, and cast bullets also. Got plenty of the old Yugo, and Russian Tula ammo, and prolly enough brass to load a thousand or so.

Everyone got banned.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

I just checked it out.
    There's some signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I just checked it out.
    There's some signs of life.
    Yeah, I checked it out just now. Not like the old days. Do we know each other from over there? jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Yeah, I checked it out just now. Not like the old days. Do we know each other from over there? jd
    Nope. Never been there before.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast