MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: The pickup accessory you didn't know you needed.

Boolit Master

The pickup accessory you didn't know you needed.

I switched from a newer 4Runner SUV to a newer Tundra pickup. I wanted more room, more comfort, and more towing capability.

Now, I will be the first to admit that I don't use my pickup for traditional pickup duties. I don't haul wood, or lumber, or hay, or need an 8' bed. I have a 10' utility trailer with 3' walls for hauling my ATV, lumber, yard waste, etc.

My Tundra has a canopy and a 5'7" bed. I can throw in an air mattress and sleeping bag and be comfy(if I sleep diagonally since I'm 6'2"). My dog can ride back there (when it's less than 80 degrees out) and keep his hair out of my fancy cab.

What I use my pickup most for is exploring and road trips. And I like to be prepared. in my 4Runner, I had a 4'x2'x2' cargo box stuffed full of chains, tow gear, winter gear, survival pack, first aid kit, straps for cargo, maps, atlas, food, tools, water, and a ton of other stuff that comes in handy when in the middle of nowhere.

It was a bit of a pain to dig through it to find what I was looking for, and it was extremely heavy. In the new pickup bed, it was dangerous if I had to brake hard or avoid a collision. It was also difficult to access, and I soon realized that my knees no longer like crawling in the back of a truck.

So when I saw this accessory advertised on Facebook, I was fascinated.

It is the Decked pickup bed drawer system. And it is wonderful!

Attachment 316692

Imagine having all of your gear and tools stored in a waterproof drawer system in your bed! On top of the drawer system is a composite bed that can haul loads up to 2000lbs. That exceeds the payload of most trucks. You could haul an ATV or cord of wood on top of it if you wanted.

For my application, it is perfect. I will just be hauling my dog back there, or random items. I can still sleep in the bed and my dog can still stand up.

When I first saw the system, I immediately wanted one. But, I got sticker shock at the price; $1449! However, they offer a veteran discount and free shipping, and will throw in a couple of very nice tool boxes designed for their system. My delivered price was just under $1400, I believe.

I got it in the other day and spent today installing it. Took me 3 hours, and some cursing. It is a job best done by either two old farts with wisdom, or one younger guy with energy.

But, I now no longer have to climb into the back of my pickup to retrieve a tool, or dig through a box to find what I need. Everything is now easily stored and accessed and kept safe.

Attachment 316693

Attachment 316695

Attachment 316694

Attachment 316696

Oh, and they are 100% American made in Idaho, or a couple of other states. The quality of the hardware is very good. Clearly superior to typical Chinese garbage.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    Is this the one you got?

https://decked.com/products/decked-drawers

I looked at one for my F150 to carry my guns in but was worried about how waterproof it was. I do not have a cap on the bed. They say it is "act of God" waterproof but what is your opinion?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

i built my own in my old contractors truck out of plywood. put shovels and what not in the space under and cords and supplies went on top
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned

i could see it in a sport utility but i haul stuff in my pickup and wouldnt want to give up the bed space and the back seat area in my pickup is big enough for two people to sleep on the floor with the seats folded up. also has two storage bins on the floor in the back seat area. if i needed more id just get one of those under back seat organizer bins

Moderator Emeritus

Interesting idea. Looks like you have about 6" of sidewall height left for carrying on top of the drawers. That would be the limiting factor for me but if you don't need to worry about that then it could come in real handy. That price is a bit steep BUT it is made in America and worth the extra bucks. Good luck with it.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    ive looked at that web site, those storage systems have become a standard for law enforcement vehicles. I would not mind having them in my truck but the cost is up there.

Boolit Buddy
    Neat idea, but I like my shell with the opening side windows. NOTHING get exposed to the element when I am searching for something. As for the knees on the bed, how about a 'horse trailer mat'? I made a plywood storage/bed (single) for my Tacoma and it worked for many years in combo with a campshell tent. Living in buzzworm and griz country it made for a peaceful nights rest!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Is this the one you got?

https://decked.com/products/decked-drawers

I looked at one for my F150 to carry my guns in but was worried about how waterproof it was. I do not have a cap on the bed. They say it is "act of God" waterproof but what is your opinion?
    I've heard a couple of people complain that they leak, but most say that they are waterproof.

I noticed that when I was building mine, that the waterproof gasket where you joined the two halves together fell out of place easily. You couldn't see or tell that it was unseated unless you were specifically looking for that.

I suspect those who are having leaking issues didn't get that gasket in properly.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Mold
    Looks great.

Boolit Master

The are very nice! The one I had in the back of my patrol vehicle (truck) was made of plywood! Never ever leaked!

I miss it and what was stored in it. M-4 and UMP-45 both full auto. Not good for duty but fun at the range!!!!!

Very nice but not new, been around in several forms for years.

Pretty cool!!!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Very nice!

I do not have a 4Runner any more, had a Suburban Z71 4WD for a few years now. I have been thinking about building something like that for a while.

Boolit Master

They also make a nice pickup tool box. I bought one and it is far superior to others I have used. In addition, it has a little folding ladder integrated into it which flips out and drops down on the passenger side that is really slick. It allows easy access to the center of the toolbox.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

If you're using that Gucci Tundra like you say, that looks like just the ticket.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Use my pickup as a pickup, so need access to the entire bed.

Boolit Master
    Looks like an updated version of a Pack Rat tool box we had in a lot of company work trucks. I didn't like them too much as they tended to leak after a few thousand miles of oilfield roads. They also raised the bed of the pickup about 5" which made it even harder to throw a spool of wire or generator in the back. Some of the guys loved them and had to have one in his truck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Interesting idea. Looks like you have about 6" of sidewall height left for carrying on top of the drawers.
    Ron
    It is actually 10".

For someone like me who likes to be prepared and carry a lot of gear and equipment, it seems like the perfect solution. I looked at the DIY versions out of plywood and such, and the amount of time and extra weight and such was just not worth it to me.

Moderator Emeritus

We had an 18" deep drawer on a weld truck. A co worker went to the back and while coming out caught his foot in the bin and fell. Really odd injury but he ended up having his foot amputated about 6" up from the ankle. Be very careful that no bins are open if you go back to the front of the bed. Yes freak accident but it shouldn't happen twice.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze