Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Little gem found

Boolit Buddy

Little gem found

Today, I went to a yard sale advertising reloading stuff. I bought a NEW (NEVER USED) LYMAN 35887 70 GRN WAD CUTTER MOLD. In the orginal cardboard box with the orginal instruction sheet. I'm of two minds about using it. I'd like to have some 70 grn wad cutters to load, but it new never used.
    Anyway that's my little gem.
    James
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master

Molds are to be used. The Lyman 35887 should be 140 grains. Mine is.

http://www.three-peaks.net/Lyman_and...llet_Molds.pdf
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Use it.
    I got a .357 DEWC like that everyone raved about for S&W model 52s off ebay with new handles for $40. in the original carboard box.
    I'm trying to wear both of them out.

If you don't already have one, this is the perfect reason you 'need' to buy a gun to shoot 'em with.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Life is to short to not enjoy it , either casting with it or make a nice picture frame around it and hang it on the wall of your shop

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 08-06-2023 at 08:13 AM.
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Cast at least one boolit and weigh it ...
    Chart says #35887 and #358087 can be either a 125 gr. or a 140 gr. Wadcutter with no change in number .
    There is also the chance Lyman used this block to make a 70 gr. WC on a special order and just left the number on the block ...
    Since you didn't post any photo's , it's hard to tell exactly what you have ...
    how long is the boolit ? 70 gr.= short , 125 gr. = long , 140 gr. = longest
    This design should be a button nose , not a double ended wadcutter ...

Whatcha' Got There !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies.
    On one side of the mold is: LYMAN 35887 70 gr. On the other side is LYMA with a screw where the Y should be and the number 70. This is a double ended button nose wad cutter.
    And ya'll are right!!! At nearly 75yrs., life is getting reeeeeaaaaallllll short.
    James

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is not double ended. It looks just like this one. https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.p...an-35887.9012/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I thought you were going to say you found a GEM #222 dial indicator.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Use it and enjoy it - it will outlast you and a number of generations to come.

Many years ago, I was acquainted with fellow who had shot N-SSA for a number of years and had gotten out of it as he retired and got older. He had shown me some of the molds he had accumulated and related items. Lomng story short, he passed away and I waited a respectable length of time before skiing his widow if she would be interested in selling his molds. Her reply was that she knew nothing about "his hobby" and she needed the room in the garage so she had gotten a neighbor kid to help her clean out "all of that junk" and it had gone to the dump. Unfortunately, this type of thing happens often. My wife knows very little about the things I have and have collected, she just doesn't have any interest in it. That's why, at my age and the health issues I have, I am downsizing, selling a number of things and passing on things. That's why I say "use it and enjoy it".

Boolit Master

If it is a 70 gr. bullet you could load two of them in a case. Might be interesting.

Boolit Master
    bedbugbilly: Your story illustrates an interesting delema. If you don't let your wife know what your stuff is worth, if you pass away she'll think that it's junk. But if you tell her what you spent on it she'll kill you!

Boolit Master

Like that famous somebody that I don't remember who he was said: " My biggest nightmare is that when I'm gone, my wife sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it."

Boolit Buddy
    M-Tec, mine looks like the picture referenced. I'll try to get some pics posted. I'll cast some and weigh them. Probably will not shoot many. I bought this because I had never seen one of these molds and well, just wanted the mold.

As for the wife and kids, although they are not interested in reloading, I'm impressing on them the fact that my equipment and components represent real MONEY to them when I'm gone.
    I told my wife I was thinking about selling some of my stuff. She replied "Why?? It's paid for keep it."

I read an article about loading two of these in 38spl and I may try that. I'll post the results if I do.
    Thanks for the replies
    James