Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Message from Rigby

Boolit Grand Master

Message from Rigby

Working on a Gibbs Far what's on S S
    And got a message from Rigby that they used Gasoline Oil as stock oil. Any one know what this is?

I have been using Renaissance wax.

Boolit Master

found this, might be what he was talking about

I visited some family of mine in the deep countryside in Europe and they were in the middle of a project to install some flooring. I saw them applying gasoline on the pine boards to stain/antique them before applying linseed oil and then varnish. They said they were told by some of the local craftsmen that this was the technique they used for not only the color, but also for bug resistance. They were to apply the gasoline outside of course, let it air out for a day, then go on with the application of the linseed oil then varnish if desired.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Hopefully someone that is experienced with English woodworking will see this and respond.

Even though both countries are supposed to speak the same language i.e. English, there is a lot of variation in the local dialects.

Somehow I don't think Gasoline Oil is simply a mixture of regular gas and linseed oil.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Wonder if they were talking about the old leaded red gasoline that's no longer available. It would work to thin linseed oil, even if hazardous as hell...

Boolit Master
    When I first started out carving gun stocks, I will admit that I made a couple that could have benefited from some gasoline.... and a match.

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Wonder if they were talking about the old leaded red gasoline that's no longer available. It would work to thin linseed oil, even if hazardous as hell...
    If it were 1/10th as hazardous as they claim it is, I would have been dead many years ago.
    We used to wash our hands in it after greasing the farm machinery when I was a kid.

Boolit Master

I thought the English called gas Petrol. It might be better to use Diesel, not so likely to get burned.

Boolit Master
    sorry but i can't buy gasoline of any kind for a wood finish. other than the bug resistance part. it just dosen't make any sense.

A can of gas, a paint brush, and a cosmoline packed milsurp rifle are the only times I’ve used gasoline on a stock.
    I doubt that I’ll get another chance to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    It was originally called 'Cazaline Oil' and it was a very clean burning Lamp Oil made from crude petro. The guy was named Cassell that pat it (1860's).

In Ireland, particularly Dublin, there was a counterfit Cazaline Oil being made and sold under both the Trade name but also
    as 'Gazaline Oil'.
    A long drawn out legal battle over the name and the rights resulted.

But the clean burning Lamp Oil was the commodity that was likely used for many purposes at the time.