Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vintage 32-20 revolvers

Boolit Grand Master
    Rodfac,
    Oddly enough, I have a boxful of Pachmayr grip adaptors I picked up at a gun show about 20 years ago. IIRC, most are for S&W I frames and various Colts. I’ll have to check again for one to fit a K frame Smith.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230801_205736_Photos.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	316809
    Loaded some up and went to the range.....settled on a mild load of W231......thanks for all of the input, greatly appreciated.
    The More I Think I know, The More I Realize I Don't Know Nothin'

Boolit Buddy
    Rodfac is right about outpost's load recommends, I use 3.8gr of HP38 , size the 3118 to .314 for use in my 1931 Colt OP. It also wears the Pachymire grip adaptor?, spacer?, thingy.

Boolit Master
    I have owned two 32-20. They were a pleasure to shoot except fort their bark. Five grains of Unique behind the Lyman 120 grain bullet made my ears ring, even with muffs on.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Resurrecting an old thread…….

I’ve had a family heirloom for a while, a S&W 1905 3rd Change in 32 Winchester Cartridge, aka 32-20. Serial number is 54XXX and is a square butt, 4” barrel. Long history with this pistol as it was given to a great aunt around 1911. We’ll leave it there. Anyway……

Completely disassembled and cleaned. Smooooth. Forcing cone still has original blue on it. It had shot black powder and has some reminants of that in the barrel, but rifling is well defined. Very little end play in cylinder at .001 or less and gap is less than .005. Lock up is tight. Timing looks good. Exterior is a bit common for that old of a pistol. I, along with my dad, shot this pistol some 30 years ago.

I now want to shoot it again and see where it lands and figure out if I want to use it for a ranch pistol when out walking. My forte is all powder coated bullets in lead. I’ll be using 231 powder but haven’t chosen a bullet mold yet. Want to shoot first then decide if I move forward with casting, etc. I would look at reloads at or under 850fps. Point of aim, easy on pistol load, but still lethal.

Any insight you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Boolit Master
    My insight would be to head post 23. Outpost75 is an old guy that has had a career in the firearms industry and knows his stuff.

Sounds like you’re right on track. 850 fps with a wadcutter or 311008 should be fine in your early gun. I don’t use 231. Only because I have lots of Bullseye, Herco and some 4756.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread…….

I’ve had a family heirloom for a while, a S&W 1905 3rd Change in 32 Winchester Cartridge, aka 32-20. Serial number is 54XXX and is a square butt, 4” barrel. Long history with this pistol as it was given to a great aunt around 1911. We’ll leave it there. Anyway……

Completely disassembled and cleaned. Smooooth. Forcing cone still has original blue on it. It had shot black powder and has some reminants of that in the barrel, but rifling is well defined. Very little end play in cylinder at .001 or less and gap is less than .005. Lock up is tight. Timing looks good. Exterior is a bit common for that old of a pistol. I, along with my dad, shot this pistol some 30 years ago.

I now want to shoot it again and see where it lands and figure out if I want to use it for a ranch pistol when out walking. My forte is all powder coated bullets in lead. I’ll be using 231 powder but haven’t chosen a bullet mold yet. Want to shoot first then decide if I move forward with casting, etc. I would look at reloads at or under 850fps. Point of aim, easy on pistol load, but still lethal.

Any insight you guys can give would be much appreciated.
    FWIW, I use 4.0 grs 231 with a 120 gr flatnosed lead bullet in my Colt Army DA. Never clocked it on the chronograph but no signs of excess pressure.

Thanks Shootingonashoestring and Hwooldridge. I have read Outposts posts. From Centex, too.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    As FYI for those considering which .32 mold to buy, Accurate 31-105T is my design which resembles old factory bullets in the .32 Colt NP and .32-20. Seat bullets out using the rear crimp groove to reduce jump of .32 S&W Long in H&R Mag chambers. Use the front crimp groove to maintain factory OAL.in .32-20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-105T-D.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	323358
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks Outpost…..

Just got back from running some HSM ammo (115gr RNFP) through it. Shot to POA at 12 yards, very consistent. Hit everything I was aiming at; clays. I guess I will be packing a 1905 32 at the ranch pretty soon! I cannot measure a slug from the barrel due to 5 grooves. I did pull a bullet from the loaded ammo and it was .314. I think I’ll try here first with a 115gr. and Win 231 powder. No nuclear loads, just accurate. I will also powder coat the bullets.

Any help or insight is very much appreciated!

Last edited by Cast10; 02-12-2024 at 07:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123