Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Lux Scopes

Boolit Buddy

Hi-Lux Scopes

Does anyone have an informed opinion on these Wm. Malcolm scopes?
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Buddy
    I do, I have had one on my pedersoli sharps for years. The glass and the optics are great. There older mounts are not so hot. I have the older mounts. I can not say how great the new ones are but just looking at them they seem to be about the same quality. The screws and very soft that came with mine. Lock tight every one of them except the ones that you will need to make adjustments. Once sighted in they hold true. Just getting it sighted in was key.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rig snipin!!

I have two 6X and a 3X. Good scopes for the money. Mounts need some tweaking if you are going to use other than their bases I have found. The cross hair could be finer, but it works on my 22 BPCR silhouette rifle. I will be putting one on my 40-50 Sharps next month. The 3X sits on a 1910 Ross sniper clone for 200 yard matches.

Cheers,
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

The one I saw at the last Goon Show was Made In Communist China?

Is this still true?

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snipin101 View Post
    I do, I have had one on my pedersoli sharps for years. The glass and the optics are great. There older mounts are not so hot. I have the older mounts. I can not say how great the new ones are but just looking at them they seem to be about the same quality. The screws and very soft that came with mine. Lock tight every one of them except the ones that you will need to make adjustments. Once sighted in they hold true. Just getting it sighted in was key.

Thank you, I'm looking at one for my Winchester (Miroku) 1885 in .32-40. Screws are easily replaced... At nearly 73, my eyes ain't what they used to be...
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

If you can afford it, an MVA is much better. At least the mounts are.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive heard a lot replace the mounts with MVA or DZ mounts.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW I looked through one at the Q this year, I believe it was a 6X. As far as clarity/sharpness it seemed as good as the MVA's. Crosshairs are much coarser as already mentioned. I don't own either at this point but as my cataracts worsen this may change.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    If you can afford it, an MVA is much better. At least the mounts are.
    Man, those MVA mounts are more'n the scope... Guess I'll know after it gets here if I "need" 'em!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Yes, I tried to compete with the factory mounts for a bit and got so frustrated with them coming loose and breaking that I bit the bullet and bought the DZ Arms mounts. It works great now though if I ever buy another scope I'll just get one complete from the start.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Ive heard a lot replace the mounts with MVA or DZ mounts.
    I was just going to ask about replacing the mounts. I have an orphan set of Winchester A5 mounts that need a good home. These came with the “grasshopper” spring and a groove riding mount instead of the later Pope rib (but this last would be an easy swap). What think ye?
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Yes, I tried to compete with the factory mounts for a bit and got so frustrated with them coming loose and breaking that I bit the bullet and bought the DZ Arms mounts. It works great now though if I ever buy another scope I'll just get one complete from the start.
    I have a feeling that I may have to get some better mounts for the 40-50sbn. I have been looking at Steve Earl's mounts as well as the MVA. MVA's mounts also have the option of right or left hand thread. I do like the idea of having clockwise is up/right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I was just going to ask about replacing the mounts. I have an orphan set of Winchester A5 mounts that need a good home. These came with the “grasshopper” spring and a groove riding mount instead of the later Pope rib (but this last would be an easy swap). What think ye?
    Froggie
    It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, and I was going to install it right away, so I might know that they'll need to be replaced very soon. But, to be honest, I don't know enough about any of these to know which will be serviceable on my application.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Grand Master

I would decide first on if your going to replace rings the CZ and MVA both use unertal posa blocks just drill ans tap 2 holes I believe there is some mill work for the other.

I have a couple of the old Tasco made full length scopes which had even worse mounts than the Wm Malcolm scope mounts. I have a friend who does scope repair, and he went through both scopes to clean, replace crosshairs, and increase magnification on both. At the same time we polished out the brass tubes, and used brass black to antique the tubes so they looked appropriate on old guns.
    I swapped out the mounts on both scopes and used Lyman targetspot mounts on one, and MVA mounts on the other. I think a lot of these inexpensive copies have pretty good optics, but crosshairs are often too heavy, and mounts are usually less than desirable. A change to good mounts is not cheap, and if you plan to shoot very far the average target rings wont get you past 500 yds. without using a taller rear base. But if you don't mind paying to upgrade rings/bases, they shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I have a couple of the old Tasco made full length scopes which had even worse mounts than the Wm Malcolm scope mounts. I have a friend who does scope repair, and he went through both scopes to clean, replace crosshairs, and increase magnification on both. At the same time we polished out the brass tubes, and used brass black to antique the tubes so they looked appropriate on old guns.
    I swapped out the mounts on both scopes and used Lyman targetspot mounts on one, and MVA mounts on the other. I think a lot of these inexpensive copies have pretty good optics, but crosshairs are often too heavy, and mounts are usually less than desirable. A change to good mounts is not cheap, and if you plan to shoot very far the average target rings wont get you past 500 yds. without using a taller rear base. But if you don't mind paying to upgrade rings/bases, they shoot well.
    Who did the scope repair???

Boolit Buddy
    It came... and I immediately foisted off the installation on my gunsmith. Had it just been drilling out the mount to match the holes in my barrel... fine, I can do that. But, their mount system isn't all I think it could be. On a good note, it appears very clear and fine enough hairs that I can work with it. It's not likely to be used much beyond 300 yards.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Good deal, I hope you like it. Make sure to post some pictures when it's all ready to go.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snipin101 View Post
    Good deal, I hope you like it. Make sure to post some pictures when it's all ready to go.
    Everybody likes a good gunsmith... and that usually means there's a backlog of work already in the shop. But, he promised to have it ready for me in time for a match beginning the 3rd week in Sept... don't hold your breath!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast