Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Fuel Tank Repair

Boolit Master

Plastic Fuel Tank Repair

Over the weekend i pulled out the mini-tiller to do some landscaping cleanup. its one of the little weedwacker 4 stroke motor models and is great for small work and doesnt beat you up like the weedwacker convertible ones.

A couple of years ago it developed a leak along the seam of the white plastic halves that slowly dripped some fuel. I used some generic epoxy and it worked for a while, but this year the epoxy separated from the tank and the seam leak turned into a real life hole making it unusable. I did try the soldering iron melting which only served to make the hole a bit bigger.

Has anyone come up with some sort of fuel resistant flexible patch for these type tanks? Of course being a bunch of years old the tank is no longer available from the OEM or aftermarket.

My thought at the moment if some sort of glue will not work is to try some rattlecan Bedliner or worst case find some kind of secondhand small fuel tank of a weed whacker or something and figure out a new mounting setup.
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 07-31-2023 at 02:17 PM.

The best I've found is JB weld.

But getting the surface clean enough for it to get a good 'bite' on it is a problem.
    I'd try cleaning with the harshest solvent you can get your hands on, maybe acetone.
    Then scuff sand the area around the place you want it to stick.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Over the weekend i pulled out the mini-tiller to do some landscaping cleanup. its one of the little weedwacker 4 stroke motor models and is great got small work and doesnt beat you up like the weedwacker convertible ones.

A couple of years ago it developed a leak along the seam of the white plastic halves that slowly dripped some fuel. I used some generic epoxy and it worked for a while, but this year the epoxy separated from the tank and the seam leak turned into a real life hole making it unusable. I did try the soldering iron melting which only served to make the hole a bit bigger.

Has anyone come up with some sort of fuel resistant flexible patch for these type tanks? Of course being a bunch of years old the tank is no longer available from the OEM or aftermarket.

My thought at the moment if some sort of glue will not work is to try some rattlecan Bedliner or worst case find some kind of secondhand small fuel tank of a weed whacker or something and figure out a new mounting setup.
    I've repaired stuff like that by soldering, but I used donor plastic of the same time as the "solder". Worked very well.

Boolit Master
    Not sure how big the hole is, but I have also created a sandwich effect by using two fender washers and gasket material captured on either side of the leak, then bolted together. It works well under the right conditions.

Whatever!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Did you see the part in there if it could be welded? It said yes if you use a Polyproplene welding rod. Just like I mention in a previous post about welding with the same material.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    Did you see the part in there if it could be welded? It said yes if you use a Polyproplene welding rod. Just like I mention in a previous post about welding with the same material.
    If you have a heat gun with a narrow tip it works better than a soldering iron. You need to concentrate the heat along the crack area. At that point it is just like gas welding steel. You make a weld puddle and feed in the rod.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

I have done it using an electric soldering iron and strips of a cut up milk jug.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I have done it using an electric soldering iron and strips of a cut up milk jug.
    I done it on my ATV which I think is ABS plastic and I used ABS plastic strips for the welding.

Had a mishap years ago with the plastic tank on my Stihl weedwhacker. Cleaned the area with a degrease solvent and roughed it up a bit with sandpaper. Then applied some JB Weld epoxy. Still working perfectly.

Boolit Master
    I just give it to a friend, he does plastic welding .

Boolit Master
    I have used a product called Seal All. Reminds me of contact cement. I have used it to seal gas leaks, Will usually hold the season.

Banned
    There's a gas tank sealant for vehicles called Red Dog. Work really good.

Boolit Master

I'm also curious as to how much a replacement tank cost. Might not be worth the effort.

Boolit Bub
    A lot of plastic gas tanks are made from HDPE. Use a heat gun and some HDPE strips cut from a five gallon bucket to repair the seam.

Boolit Master
    I have fixed holes in a plastic tank with JB weld and a piece of window screen.
    Clean the area and rough it up with sand paper. Apply the epoxy to the tank and bed the screen in the epoxy. The screen reinforces the epoxy preventing future cracks,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I'm also curious as to how much a replacement tank cost. Might not be worth the effort.
    I looked with the first leak. Everywhere I know to look either list them as no longer available, I cant even find them on fleabay.

the engine still runs great which is why I don't want to give this up too easily.

The hard epoxies I used just flaked off the flexible plastic. I store this outside so it sees all 4 seasons.

Didn't think of a milk jug and I also have a plastic soap drum and an old gas can that may also be some good donor material.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Over the weekend i pulled out the mini-tiller to do some landscaping cleanup. its one of the little weedwacker 4 stroke motor models and is great for small work and doesnt beat you up like the weedwacker convertible ones.

Mil-S-8802 ProSeal. Is an aviation sealant for fuel tanks. New material will cost a chunk, but you can find "out of date" 8802 on FleaBay for cheap.
    As you are working with a poly tank, you want to clean the surfaces thoroughly with alcohol (Everclear is actually cheaper than denatured alcohol from the pharmacy), then roughen the area you wish to apply the sealant.

Check this: ebay #142478239976
    Last edited by challenger_i; 07-31-2023 at 07:07 PM.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Mil-S-8802 ProSeal. Is an aviation sealant for fuel tanks. New material will cost a chunk, but you can find "out of date" 8802 on FleaBay for cheap.
    As you are working with a poly tank, you want to clean the surfaces thoroughly with alcohol (Everclear is actually cheaper than denatured alcohol from the pharmacy), then roughen the area you wish to apply the sealant.

Check this: ebay #142478239976
    One can buy Red Dog sealant ar O'Reillys and it's not expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast