Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managing fouling in a rifled musket

Boolit Bub

Managing fouling in a rifled musket

I was shooting my Zouave today and found it to be accurate for the first 3 rounds, then things went south.
    The Minne became harder to push in the barrel even though I ran a nylon brush every shot. There seemed to be a spot 1/3 of the way down the barrel that was hard to push the Minne past.
    I started to run a wet patch down and this helped but did not remove the hard spots. I lubed each bullet in the groves, but I think the lube ran out before it exited. How can I keep firing without cleaning between each shot. Should I stuff the cavity with lube?
    Thanks
    Nick

Boolit Master
    What powder are you using.
    And what is your powder load and weight of the slug

Boolit Master
    My lube method is not for everyone, but it works for me.
    I spray PAM (vegetable spray) or the cheaper store version down the barrel every few shots and also on the patch.

I keep a little spritzer bottle of alcohol in my kit. I'll spray some on a batch and run down the barrel between shots.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fiatdad View Post
    I was shooting my Zouave today and found it to be accurate for the first 3 rounds, then things went south.
    The Minne became harder to push in the barrel even though I ran a nylon brush every shot. There seemed to be a spot 1/3 of the way down the barrel that was hard to push the Minne past.
    I started to run a wet patch down and this helped but did not remove the hard spots. I lubed each bullet in the groves, but I think the lube ran out before it exited. How can I keep firing without cleaning between each shot. Should I stuff the cavity with lube?
    Thanks
    Nick
    What kind of lube? size of minie vs bore size? Pure lead? You shouldn't have to fill the base with lube. Black powder?
    Last edited by varsity07840; 07-31-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a rough spot in the bore if your lube isn't running out. I have good results with beeswax mixed with ox yoke wonder lube ( the hard stuff) mixed 50/50. I can shoot quite a few strings before needing to swab. For powder I'm using 45 grs of 3fg black powder.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Use 50-50 beeswax and olive oil for lube. Shoot all day without wiping.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    In my 3 band enfield I had great results with TC bore butter cut with yellow beeswax, about 50-50. Cleaned after shooting with TC blackpowder bore cleaner. 3f was used for powder, charge weights varied on the projectile used, between 34 and 44 grains, in general. I also filled the hollow base with Criscoe.

Both the lube mix and bore cleaner allowed this, petroleum based products leave an ash in the bore and hence the difficulty in loading. I was told this by another long time blackpowder user and it mirrors my experience.

Using that I had fired over 80 rounds during the course of a weekend, never ran a brush or patch thru the barrel. Other guys using alox were brushing after every 7 to 10 rounds so to be able to load their minies.

Boolit Buddy
    Alox is a terrible lube for black powder. It's intended for smokeless.

Lanolin + olive oil + beeswax = LOOB.

The bullet design and softness, diameter being what is needed for the rifling, how much powder and what grade, and even how much blow back you're getting through a nipple...
    There's just little effects all over the place that mite make or break the performance of the minie system.

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with a mix of - 1 part lard, 1 part paraffin, 1/2 part bees wax, with black.

crisco, un salted has worked well for me. i fill the hollow base on the mini. the bullet i use is from a lyman 575213 bullet. stiffen it up with bee,s wax for warmer weather.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Use 50-50 beeswax and olive oil for lube. Shoot all day without wiping.
    This works for me too, even with slugs and lubed felt wads.

Boolit Bub
    I am using a 35 grain load of 3f Goex,lube of 50%bees wax, 30% Crisco and 20% olive oil (extra Virgin). The minies are lee.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    This works for me too, even with slugs and lubed felt wads.
    Worked for the Royal Italian Army before 1900 also.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Your powder is good, as is the load.
    Assuming the lube is good the issue could be a slightly undersized minie. Undersized minies foul quicker. We like to shoot minies one thousandths under bore size.
    Pin gauges help to find exact bore size

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    In the years I shot N-SSA (mid to late 1960s and 1980s) all we did was finger fill the base of the mini with Crisco - kept the fouling soft through many shots during timed relays. In between relays, a wet patch down the bore followed by a dry one and good to go. Worked fine in my Zouave - still does, as well as several original rifled muskets I had at the time. 60 gr. 2F DuPont/Goex. YMMV

Boolit Bub
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

A little late but I'll add my $0.02...

Back in the 1970's I had a repro Zouave that fouled badly. I don't recall the brand. I tried several lubes and over lubing (as in LOTS of lube) and about everything but it seemed to have a couple of spots about 2/3 the way down the bore that got bad and Minies often stuck there so had to be moved down to the powder with a mallet. This sometimes happened after just 2 or 3 shots. Everyone else was shooting while I had a stuck Minie! I think 1Hawkeye above has it right about a possible rough spot. I gave up on my gun and sold it to a friend who wanted it to play with. He lapped the barrel and it worked well for him after the lapping. No more fouling issues. My take was that there were some machining marks from reaming and/or rifling that were causing fouling build up.

You might try casting a slug around a rod in the bore or cast and drill then run the groove diameter slug down the bore to see if there are rough spots. Or just try lapping it if lube or different size Minie doesn't fix it for you.

Just a thought and my experience.

Good luck!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    You didn't say if you had sized the minie to .001 under the actual, measured bore size. Shooting a .575 minie in a .580 bore is a very short route to the very problem you're describing.

But what would I know about shooting minies....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parkerhalegroup2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	316596
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast