Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Full bore 20ga rb range results.

Full bore 20ga rb range results.

First time using Winchester 572. Shooting full bore 20ga rb’s. .622” and .625” shot pretty much the same. Velocity was 1400fps on avg with all loads.

Tried fold and roll crimp. Not bad, but I can do better. 3-4” at 50 yards. Some of the recovered rbs showed great rifling engraving on the projectile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow!!! BT is in the house!!!!

Good to see the search goes on my old friend!!!

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    You're doing pretty good.

Thanks guys. Those groups could of been a bit tighter if I didn’t leave my lead sled at home. Had to use a pair of snake boots I had in my truck has a rest.

Boolit Master

Snake boots or not that's still impressive! What was the wad column composed of?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Snake boots or not that's still impressive! What was the wad column composed of?

Boolit Grand Master

3-4 " at 50 yards is gonna nucker-plunk any corn cruncher I have ever had for lunch.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    So what is your next plan? You can't stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by jban View Post
    So what is your next plan? You can't stop there.
    On the 3” load, I’m changing out that soft, fiber wad for a stiffer finer wad. I noticed that those rb’s I recovered still had a couple of layers of that finer wad attached to it.

I’ll cast some with a harder alloy and use Blue Dot and Proreach on the next go.

Boolit Bub
    (I’ll cast some with a harder alloy and use Blue Dot and Proreach on the next go.)

Blood Trail; What kind of lead are you casting? I am curious as to what hardness to use. Does it have to be a pure lead ball, could a guy cast with range scrap lead or wheel weights? Also does it matter if it is a smooth bore or rifled barrel for lead hardness? I've shot alot of round balls, but that was with a muzzle loader.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jban View Post
    (I’ll cast some with a harder alloy and use Blue Dot and Proreach on the next go.)

Blood Trail; What kind of lead are you casting? I am curious as to what hardness to use. Does it have to be a pure lead ball, could a guy cast with range scrap lead or wheel weights? Also does it matter if it is a smooth bore or rifled barrel for lead hardness? I've shot alot of round balls, but that was with a muzzle loader.

Thanks
    Don’t know the alloy, but they came it at 11 Bn. Haven’t shot these in a smoothbore. Wouldn’t hurt to experiment with different alloys to see what works.

Longbow sent me some fullbore rbs for my rifled 12 ga. I did a write up on it. 3-4” groups at 100 yards and he used wheel weights.

Boolit Master

We've had many discussions about the full bore RB as a shotgun projectile. The general consensus was that the equator of the ball is so small (bearing surface) that the hardness pretty much didn't matter. Now, I'm not saying it's OK to cast them out of monotype or the like, but any alloy softer than Lyman #2 (15 BHN) should be fine.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Just as a comment... for 12 ga. 0.735" RB's, which are several thou over bore diameter, I've had no problem with leading in smoothbore running them naked and as cast ACWW or range scrap which is softer.

Also, my best results came when loading a plastic gas seal and all hard card and nitro card wads under the ball. I got poor results with fiber wads.

Something I did not try with full bore balls was a scoop of COW between the ball and the last hard card wad. I did find that with smaller RB's in shotccups that a nitro card wad in the bottom then a scoop of COW made a positive change. I think the COW forms a nice "seat" for the RB. For full bore RB's it should help keep the RB centered and from rolling during the jump through the chamber and into the forcing cone. I did recover a couple of full bore balls that showed they were either rolling into the forcing cone or were off center when they hit the forcing cone as the "belt" around the equator from bore contact was uneven.

I'd think the same comments would apply to 20 ga.

Good to see another RB range report!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Is that a kitchen sink under the cork in the wad column? I like it!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, longbow, centershot, and Blood Trail, for the replies

Boolit Mold
    Just a thought. Reading here with interest. Has anyone tried loading two round balls? Too much weight? Just wondering. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dante View Post
    Just a thought. Reading here with interest. Has anyone tried loading two round balls? Too much weight? Just wondering. Dave
    Very doable with Lil Gun.