Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Oldest gun you have you bought yourself

Boolit Grand Master

Oldest I bought and shoot regular is a Hall 1819 Flintlock. Took it our corn cruncher hunting some years back but have yet to squeeze the trigger on a deer. Dad got me collecting U.S. military arms many years back. He collected only 1846 muskets and 1858 Remington revolvers. But I expanded.
    We do have a few older but they do not get out hunting much.
    Oldest would be a flint fouler that has parts on it from around 1760 and possible assembled about 1770. That info is what a builder in Sidell ILL told me in his shop where the smooth bore barrel was deemed unsafe to shoot as it is badly / deeply pitted about 14" down from the muzzle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hall flintlock close.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	317986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 hall rifles.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	317987

Name:	Flintlock  1750  close.jpg 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	317990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flintlock  1750.jpg 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	317991
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Oldest currently is a 1916 SMLE mk3*. 107 years old and still kicking.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master
    Either the .45-70 trapdoor or the 4 barreled .22 short Sharps pistol. Both are shot several times a year.

Boolit Master

1873 Winchester carbine made in 1884. It was a special order, nickle plated and 1/2 octagon barrel. Still shoots straight with mild smokeless loads. Barrel is pitted so I do not use black powder.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Bub
    Oldest I own is probably a Rem RB in 43 Spanish. The oldest I can date for sure is a 1891 Winchester 1885 low wall. The oldest I bought new is a Marlin 336 in 35 rem in 1978. And they all still get shot on an annual basis.

Boolit Buddy

Did some yard work for a guy that lived up the road when I was 18 years old. The fellow paid me and knew I liked guns. He handed me an old 36 cal 5 shot pepperbox revolver. The old dog had a worn out rotation star and would not turn. I did manage to come up with some lead balls and bought a can of 3F Dupont black powder for $1.25. Shot holes in a few garbage cans and old cars. Had to turn the barrel by hand to get it to align the nipple and live cap to fire it. Found a really nice English 11ga Fisher double barrel that was black from curd and dirt sitting in an antique shop. Traded my pepperbox to the antique dealer plus $50 That was a lot of $$$ in 1963. Cleaned the old double up! Turned out to be a beautiful high quality double. Hunted with it for many years! My hunting buddies would laugh because they had Model 12's and Smith doubles. But the old 11ga Fisher really banged the grouse, rabbits, and occasional ring necks. Am 78 years old now and still get the old "two pipes" out and make some smoke! That's my oldest!!!

Boolit Mold
    I have a Remington 1863 58 Caliber Zouave, in VG condition.

I collect WWI and WWII the oldest of those Arisaka Type 38 still has the MUM, Now the dust cover, sling and bi pod are missing. But ya can not show me anything produced today that shoots flatter.

Boolit Grand Master
    My first rifle was a Ruger 10-22, which I still have. It hasn't had much use of late but back in the 70's it was shot a lot. The handgun I have had the longest is my 1974 S&W M-17. It also has been shot a lot and still gets use.

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	318276
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Sitting here at camp on vacation. Nice to get out of the upper 90 heat and into 60 with a slight drizzle.

Sitting at the table with my Ruger Single Six Convertible and was thinking this was the first firearm I bought for myself 40yrs or so ago. Bought and sold dozens since but always kept this one which has been on my hip many miles in the woods and provided much rabbit and partridge for supper. Hiking, hunting, trapping snowshoeing and general looking about. Squirrels, woodchucks, beaver even finished a few whitetail with the Mag cylinder in. Still have the original grey plastic box it came in. I might sell everything I own but this trusty Ruger will never go.

So, what is the oldest firearm you still have that you bought for yourself?
    Same gun, but I'm so old my Super Single Six came in the red/black cardboard box !

Boolit Buddy
    Oldest pistol was a 1909 era top break HR that I bought when I was 14

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Does Davids sling count???

Model 54 Win. 30-06. 60 years ago. I was 10 and my dad took me elk hunting and I killed a big cow. Still have the gun and the elk leg gun rack.

The oldest gun I bought was a 1885 US Springfield 45-70 carbine

Name:	20240127_164810.jpg 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	323216

I also have a 1864 US Springfield, that one of my ancestors carried during the civil war
    I couldn't get that photo to load?
    Last edited by MOshooter; 02-08-2024 at 03:12 PM.

I was given a 1881 marlin large frame frame, which sparked my interest in rebuilding it. Every part is serial numbered, so far I have amassed 8 serial numbers building the gun (this is 8 rifles that must have been parted out).

I found a complete 1881 in 40-60 and bought that - it's from 1883 I believe.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456