WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oldest gun you have you bought yourself

Boolit Grand Master

Oldest gun you have you bought yourself

Sitting here at camp on vacation. Nice to get out of the upper 90 heat and into 60 with a slight drizzle.

Sitting at the table with my Ruger Single Six Convertible and was thinking this was the first firearm I bought for myself 40yrs or so ago. Bought and sold dozens since but always kept this one which has been on my hip many miles in the woods and provided much rabbit and partridge for supper. Hiking, hunting, trapping snowshoeing and general looking about. Squirrels, woodchucks, beaver even finished a few whitetail with the Mag cylinder in. Still have the original grey plastic box it came in. I might sell everything I own but this trusty Ruger will never go.

So, what is the oldest firearm you still have that you bought for yourself?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

S&W 686 SS 6-1/2” barrel. I got this shortly before I got out of the suck. It’s still a great shooter.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

1967 Ruger 10/22. Serial # in the first 100k produced...cost 62.00. Still have it and shoot it regular out here in the boonies.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Rem 700 264mag. Bought new in 1964. Has taken countless deer & elk over the years. Never put more two rounds down the barrel with out a cool down. Still shoots great.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of Stevens tip up 22lr pistols that were made in the 1880s or 1890s I also have an Iver Johnson 38 S&W that may be in that same range.

Boolit Buddy

A Hollis double barrel 16 ga. percussion made in 1834. I've taken a few Pheasants with it over the years.

Probably my 1884 Trapdoor.

Is this about the oldest gun we have that we bought new? Or is it about the oldest gun we have ? Clarification , please.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a 1916(?) Swedish Mouser? I have older, but not purchased, inheritances. Don't fire them, wall hangers....

45_Colt

44 Evans, New Model
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    I have a pump action .22LR that I bought in 1968 or 69.
    Haven't shot it in years and years. About the only rimfire I shoot is through a couple of .22LR revolvers and a lever action Marlin .22Magnum.
    Mostly shoot centerfire handguns these last 30-40 years although I do shoot a fair amount of 12ga shotgun and various caliber rifles, just not a big rimfire shooter these days.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    In inheritance I have a 1914 M12 Win and an 1866 Chessipot with an 1871 issue stamp .

That I personally bought is a 1916 DWM Gew 98, mid May 1916 M12 Win and an April 1918 1917 S&W .

That I've owned the longest that I bought , 1965 110LH circa 1989 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Rem roller from 1880 is the oldest I’ve bought. Several more from early 1900’s.

I saw a double barrel percussion 12 ga. from the mid-1800s at a thrift store awhile back.
    For $50. I couldn't just leave it there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I assume the OP means Bought new.
    The S&W 622 [semi-auto 22LR] came out in 1990.
    I bought the 6" alloy version in 1991.
    My plan was to use it for back packing, as it was super lightweight [23.5 oz]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Is this about the oldest gun we have that we bought new? Or is it about the oldest gun we have ? Clarification , please.
    Should be clear on this. What is the firearm you own that you bought for yourself and still have. New or used. Not the oldest made gun in your collection. Do you still have your first revolver or rifle you bought just for yourself like I do or the second or what.

Boolit Grand Master

Btw: now 55 out. Just used a battery powered shower in the pond. Refreshing!

Honestly can't remember.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Sitting here at camp on vacation. Nice to get out of the upper 90 heat and into 60 with a slight drizzle.

Sitting at the table with my Ruger Single Six Convertible and was thinking this was the first firearm I bought for myself 40yrs or so ago. Bought and sold dozens since but always kept this one which has been on my hip many miles in the woods and provided much rabbit and partridge for supper. Hiking, hunting, trapping snowshoeing and general looking about. Squirrels, woodchucks, beaver even finished a few whitetail with the Mag cylinder in. Still have the original grey plastic box it came in. I might sell everything I own but this trusty Ruger will never go.

So, what is the oldest firearm you still have that you bought for yourself?
    Bion, a local department store ran a discount sale on everything from 26 December thru the 31st annually (It was called "Ames"); they sold firearms, too; and, I spied a Winchester 9422 with a $99.95 price tag on it, crossed out and cut to $85.00. Then, there was that 10% off on top of it -- and this .22 lever became my 2nd (1st was a Ruger New Model single six .22/.22mag convertible) firearm bought by me for me. ((Seeing what these are going for now -- I should've bought more than one!)) I put a scope on it; my sons shot it; and, I still have it! (The single six long ago -- needed cash -- was traded off ).
    geo
    geo

Boolit Master
    Made a deal with my grandfather in 1955 for his old Remington Model 4 22 LR (rolling block he bought new in 1907). He hadn't used it in years and figured it was pretty much shot out (Barrel is very well worn, but there's just enough rifling to hit a paper plate at 100 yards).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast