Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Winchester Model 54 .270

Boolit Buddy

Winchester Model 54 .270

Greetings all. I have a Winchester Model 54 in .270. It is an early one, and still has the steel but-plate. It also has old style scope blocks, on the front receiver ring, and barrel. They ate about 7” apart. I don’t know if they are factory, factory installed as an option, or simply aftermarket. It looks like this rifle has never had a scope.

What are the options for putting a scope on this, without any alterations? Hi-lux Unertl styles are heavy, expensive, and I don’t know if the rings will work with these blocks.

A Stith mount will not wor with the factory bolt.

I am looking for an older straight long tube scope like a Weaver K2.5, possibly using 1” tip-off rings. But the eye relief may not be enough.

Anyone have any suggestions? Long eye relief with a long straight tube?

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2558.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	316438
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2560.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	316439

I have no idea if it's what you'd want, but you could check out the Malcolm line of scopes.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I mentioned the Hi-lux briefly. There seems to be an issue with the new rings fitting older bases. And there screws are criticized for being very soft.

But it is a choice. I am just not sure if it is a good choice, or even if it will work.

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Lyman Targetspots on Ebay. And Champion's Choice. There are two different tube diameters. the larger, 1 inch, would do pretty well. Expensive. Those are Unertl blocks that will work with several makes of rings for outside adjusted scopes.

If you desire to install a Unertl scope and mounts, those blocks look to need Unertl style blocks installed. The ones with the round cut on one side and the dimple on the other. Maybe your blocks have this I could not tell from the pictures. Is the front mount installed with a differnt height than the rear block?

Unertl will be the best scope and mounts to have on that old 54 whinny. I have inherited my Grandfathers 54 in 270 also. I installed a vintage peep sight in the rear holes on the side of the action.

Congrats on a very fine rifle and good luck obtaining a scope and quality external adjustable mounts. Pictures of your setup when done will be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree about the receiver sight. But if your normal impact range is 150 yards + then the eyes make dictate a scope.
    Either way, an "older" scope will look great on that rifle.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Bigted and Missionary5155. I looked up the Lyman Targetspot scopes. Wow, they REALLY are expensive. Just more scope than I want for a factory sporter profile barrel
    I am on the look out for a peep sight. One that I do not have to remove wood to mount.

Also still looking at old WeaverK2.5 scopes. I just wonder if there is enough eye relief.

This is a Weaver K2.5 on a temporary mount.
    The eye relief was too short for a full image unless you crept forward unnaturally.
    You might can match up the screw holes with some kind of Weaver base for a Scout scope setup.
    Every peep sight that you find will require drilling and tapping to install.
    That looks like a nice rifle, but they obviously were made before scopes were affordable/ popular!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the pictures. That is about what I am planning with the existing scope blocks.

The rifle is drilled and tapped for a receiver sight from the factory; but only one sight, the Redfield 48 TR-W is capable of being mounted without having to remove wood from the stock. I have not found this peep sight for sale yet.

What do the mounts look like from the end?
    And how wide across the dovetail?
    Wheels are turning; I found some odd 1” female dovetail rings in my parts that look like 1960s something and I don’t think that they are Sako.
    Let me know if you get a chance to measure your bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    My buddy (member Lazy Squirrel) has a model 54 being rebarelled to 35 whelen atm. Those are nice rifles. If you can't get it figured out might I suggest Murphy Precision ? My M96 had mount issues such as eye relief, scope height, etc and I had them build me a custom one piece rail to fit an outdated screw pattern. Since everything is fully machined in house to your specifications it might be a viable option for you. Without needing to send the rifle in they can take your measurements and build you a two piece mount, a one piece mount, a taller mount, and more so that you don't have to alter the rifle to get your desired scope on.

https://www.murphyprecision.com/custom-services/