WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Dot in 375H&H?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Long cases and small charges of fast powder...be careful you dont ring the chamber.

Much more likely to ring the chamber using a filler! Filler becomes projectile and bullet base acts as bore obstruction. Red Dot ignites easily and burns uniformly at low loading densities. No filler is needed or recommended.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

I also do not recommend the use of a wad or filler [they are different] with such fast burning powders.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have shot 32 cal round balls in my 300 blackout bolt gun with 3 gr bullseye. Kind of like a 22 lr. Never thought about it in my 375 H&H. Might be a new project.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Hornady .375 RB [though I could cast my own as I have the mould] with a light coat of LLA well dried. Loaded over 4 gr of Bullseye [no filler or wad] they run right at 900 fps out of my M70 and are minute of blue grouse, ptarmigan, rabbit or hare out to 50 yards +/-. With a NS'd case I seat them so the diameter is at the case mouth then apply a light crimp. With one round in the M70 mag [right side] which feeds I then put one up the spout for a "two shooter".
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I have never used a filler with red dot in any load for any caliber.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I see a lot of guys like to use red dot. Wouldn't Unique be a better choice i have a decent amount of each. What size round ball would you use.This is interest ing. Last time i shot my 375 H&H I shot a brown bear and that was a log while ago. Haven't needed it since then. Seems like a waste of lead when you could achieve the same thing with a smaller caliber like a 308 win. But use what you have and have a good time doing it. I am always experimenting with something to see how it works. I have a winchester model 70 375 its heavy to pack around all day but so are my black powder Hawken rifles. I love to hunt snow shoe hairs in late fall when they turn white and there is not snow yet, easier to see. The 375 project might be fun for that.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Buddy
    I have also wondered about using Unique now that my Trail Boss supply is getting low. But Red Dot seemed to be the natural place to start given the universal application of The Load. Using Unique for low pressure loads in 375 H&H might be worth its own topic thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Red Dot and Bullseye both ignite, burn efficiently and give less powder position sensitivity than Unique. By the time Unique, with the RB or very light weight bullet, burns efficiently with decent powder position sensitivity, the velocity is usually sonic with accuracy not as good especially out at 30 - 50 yards+.

I've a few conical bullets for 36 C&B revolvers. The front 2 drive bands run .375 with the bottom one at .370. Going to try those in the 800 - 1000 fps range. If I still lived in elk, caribou, moose Brown/Grizzly, ptarmigan, blue grouse and snow shoe hare country I would get the accurate 38-150R mould and cast those of 30 -r 40-1 alloy, sized and lube at .377 and load over Red Dot or Bullseye to 800 - 900 fps. They would be, no doubt quite accurate for small game and fun plinking out to 100 yards.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12