Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: What have i got here

What have i got here

I have been digging around in my Heaven knows what stash and found this little trinket from a gun show many years ago. Anybody have any experience with one or ever actually used one. Believe it or not, the battery is still working. Now to find something to put it on.Attachment 316410Attachment 316411
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Back in the 90s, everybody was going all ga-ga over red dot sights.

Being rather expensive for what it is (5 MOA), those S&Ws went on and off the market pretty fast.
    Other ones in its price ranger were better.
    And it cost too much to compete with Tasco on price.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

That's a 5 moa reticle and not a 5 moa dot, correct?

It is a dot. With my worn out eyesight, the 5 min dot is about right. But...I have never mounted it on a gun so effectiveness is a ? The box says Japan but who made it, I don't have a clue. It feels like a metal tube and it is not plastic.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    It is a dot. With my worn out eyesight, the 5 min dot is about right. But...I have never mounted it on a gun so effectiveness is a ? The box says Japan but who made it, I don't have a clue. It feels like a metal tube and it is not plastic.
    What I meant to ask is based on what I see on the packaging it's a 5 MOA reticle and not a 5 MOA dot?

In other words the reticle allows a 5 MOA view at whatever the specified yardage is and the dot doesn't cover 5 MOA at the same distance?

Boolit Master
    The dot covers a 5 moa area at 100 yds.
    Most likely it was made by Hakko for S&W

That dot rheostat knob is difficult to turn and especially so with the elevation knob so close to it and the dot is really bright when set on it's maximum setting, but that might be a good thing to keep from inadvertently moving it. In fading light, I would have to turn the brightness down to keep from overpowering the target. It might make a good shotgun sight if my prosthetic shoulder joint would allow it.

Boolit Buddy
    Red dot sights such as the S&W you have were/are commonly used on Bullseye pistols. Much easier to use and more accurate then using iron sights. Actual optical scopes were a hindrance as standing with a one hand un-braced hold, magnification was not required.

With a 30mm aluminum tube I can also see this sight being used on a hunting shotgun or handgun.

45_Colt

Yes, the Aimpoint was very popular beck in the 90’s.

Yes, I see that the tv hunting show "Wild Boar Fever" is sponsored by Aimpoint. Those hunters make a great case for the "dot" sighting principle. They are pros after all but they are also pretty fast with a rifle to say the least.

Boolit Master
    Might be a collector’s item at this point…

Boolit Master

With my eyes and color processing ability. I'd throw it out.
    , or sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    Might be a collector’s item at this point…
    That's what I keep telling MamaMurf about all my "stuff". I'm not so sure she's convinced though.

Just put it on a .223 rifle or a .22 so You can get the hang of it.

I have Bushnell TRS 25's on all my Carbines, my 10/22 and even on my Scout Rifle sometimes. A sight like that came on my Bushmaster Carbon 15 AR that weighed 5lb 3 oz. when I got it. I think I gave it to a friend but it still worked just fine.

You could also put it on a PCP Airgun??? Which would be a good use as they are mostly close range guns.

Some ideas to mull over.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I have a pair of them, though different brands. I have an Ultradot on a Ruger Standard Model .22, and a Millet brand red dot scope on a Ruger Mark II Target model. Both set up 15 years ago for Bullseye matches. They get shot regularly. If I do my part, I can hit a bowling pin at 50 yards using them.

Regarding the suggestion to put it on a .223 rifle: The scopes I'm familiar with are regularly installed on 1911s. Attached to the slides, so they get quite the workout without losing zero.

Boolit Grand Master

It looks a lot like a Millet SP-1 Red Dot , a one inch tube type sight with a 3 MOA sized dot . I saw my first one mounted on a Ruger MKII handgun ... it got me back shooting handguns after detached retina's and several rounds of eye surgeries left me with no lens in my eyes and blind in my right eye .
    I mounted another on a model 64 S&W 38 Special and a third on a ruger 10/22 .
    Maybe not the most compact set-up but the tube -type red dots allowed me to shoot and hit what I was aiming at . Millet has discontinued the SP-1 , but I'm still using three of them !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"