RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cataract Options

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Given the choices, the way you present them here, I'd go with #2. My personal experience is that I had both eyes done about 13 years ago. The eye surgeon was surprised that I still had a driver license! After the operation I could see very well, needed no eyeglasses at all. But after about 10 years I started noticing that my vision was changing again, getting impossible to read some small print, now some larger print, and some astigmatism in one eye. So, I'm about to make an appointment for eyeglasses. Even not too long after the operation I found driving at night to be a scary experience, especially oncoming bright headlights. I think it's different for different people, and doubt if there's any hard and fast guarantee no matter which way you go. Getting rid of the astigmatism (for how long, who knows?) sounds good, and having to use reading glasses isn't such a burden. What percentage of your life do you spend reading or repairing clocks? Option #3 might not be bad, as you can give up driving at night, which I pretty much have done, but can they guarantee the other two favorable results? So, #2 seems best to me-- but if you go with #2 and it's not 100% satisfactory please don't sue me!

DG
    Get your eyes checked for secondary cataracts in the lens capsule.
    If you have trouble at night with headlights i will bet that a simple laser surgery will fix this.
    Option 3, paying $5000 for possible night vision troubles? Not worth it. Reading glasses are inexpensive.
    And the ability to drive safely at night is priceless.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Get your eyes checked for secondary cataracts in the lens capsule.
    If you have trouble at night with headlights i will bet that a simple laser surgery will fix this.
    Option 3, paying $5000 for possible night vision troubles? Not worth it. Reading glasses are inexpensive.
    And the ability to drive safely at night is priceless.
    I had my right eye done about 18 years ago. My astigmatism was too bad for the foldable lens at that time. Only reason I am posting this is because none of them explained about the secondary cataract problem. I thought I was going to need a new lens, but found out about the laser treatment of the lens capsule - simple in house visit.

I asked why no one had told me about that. They said it was so rare that most do not have that problem. I think it was because they did not want to mention that drawback. Two of my buddies though; have also had to have it done.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy

Mine corrected the astigmatism very well.

Boolit Master
    Had both eyes done 6 weeks apart a year and a half ago. First couple of days crystal clear sight in both eyes, but a few days after I had the second one done I got a small blurry spot in the upper right eye. When I look at a line on an eye test chart, the last 2 letters of the line are blurred to the point I cannot read them. If I refocus by moving my point of vision slightly to the right I can then see the letters just fine. This interferes with using open sights (scope is OK) and the doctor cannot seem to explain why this happened. I am an avid reader and after an extended session, I sometimes get a "headache" type pain in the affected eye. I have to go back to him in December but since nothing has changed I suspect I am stuck with this. I had the cheapest option and still use reading glasses. I use the same prescription glasses I have had for the last 20+ years. My distance vision is excellent. I have never had any problem with night driving. I am 84 years old.
    R.D.M.

Had both done couple yrs back, have astigmatisms ( plus a growth problem on cornia) fixed almost all of it with the torics. Cornia got scraped first and will need to be done again before next DL test. By then I might not be able to drive anymore anyway.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I had both eyes done maybe 12-14 years ago. the options they gave me were either good distance vision or good close up vision. I chose distance vision cause I use it much more. I am now 74, and my vision has barely changed since then. nice to not wear glasses anymore. is not quite 20/20. do have glasses for 20/20, only use them on deer stands. never did need anything for reading. still don't except in poor light, or very fine stuff. best thing I ever did.one friend my age had one eye done about a year ago, and nothing but trouble since.
    Barry

Basic cataract lens for me but stroke to optic nerve left me blind in right eye before cataract surgery was needed in left eye. when younger had Lasix procedure on both eyes left for reading right for distance now wear corrective lenses, shooting left hand with long guns, red dots preferred with handguns . Protect what you have and be sure your eye care professionals will have YOUR eye care foremost and their profit secondary . Don't be afraid to seek multiple opinions as most procedures when done are done
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

I may be wrong, but I believe the astigmatism can be treated separately. More money!
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I am 71, had both eyes done three years ago with the regular lens because of the cost. I have some slight astigmatism in my left eye. Because of that I am 20/20 in my right eye and a little less in the left. I have a set of prescription glasses with bifocals to correct it but don't wear them much. I do have one set of prescription safety glasses to shoot with, please use something. I have reading glasses all over the house, wife fusses but not much.

I can shoot open sights on my mil-surps fine but am having trouble with front handgun sights. I bought some low powered reading glasses to play around with but haven't tried them yet.

My cataracts had got bad, doc said he had done all he could without surgery, It was hard to drive at night. I have been more than pleased with the results. Looks like someone turned the light on. I did develop the secondary cataracts in both eyes but a ten minute procedure at the doctors office I was good. Things had started looking a little milky with some glare.

With your astigmatism having it corrected would be a nice option. Sometimes things like this sneak up on us. We realize how bad it was after it is fixed, you will probably be surprised. Hope you do well and we are all looking forward to the results.

Boolit Master
    About 15 years ago as I was leaving work a wind blow a small particle of dust into my right eye. Drove home blinking all the way. tried several things that didn't work to clear eye. Son took me to Urgent Care that evening. Dr was a miracle worker. He touched me and the dirt went away. While he was at it he checked my vision. I could just barely read the big E on the chart with my right eye. Soon threre after I visited my Ophthalmologist and explained that I had trouble seeing 25 yd rapid fire target at any distance. He replaced a cataract with a distance vision lens . I had been nearsighted since the 8th grade. For the next five years or so I read with my left eye and drove with my right eye. It was automatic. I didn't have to think about it. Eventually I had to have a cataract in left I fixed. Now at 80 I am farsighted and need reading glasses. At the time of my left eye operation Dr would not give me near vision in my left eye. He did give me lenses that protect my eyes from bright sunlight. In theory I don't need sunglasses. In bright sun I do wear poloroid sun glasses and it does feel much better. Get your cataracts taken care of so you can see. Reading glasses are no big deal and it is nice to be able to see far away things without glasses. At my age I hunt with scopes. Without glasses ducks fall.

I had the simple distance vision surgery about five years ago. Only need reading glasses for up close. Still can't see open sights like I want to.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I had both lenses replaced because of very, very poor eyesight from birth, simple deal. Afterward I had astig surgery, again very simple. same doctor for both. 20-20 and 20-25. He told me the lenses would last for my lifetime but I would need readers for closeup. Also that astig would at some point return but not near as bad. Many years with perfect sight but now some astig returning and have again purchased glasses but seldom need them. I feel better with the glasses if driving at night which I seldom do any more. I have trouble seeing open sites as clearly as I'd like but have learned to shoot long ago regardless and quite well. Being an old man now I am delighted still with my decision, I see very well and have ever since the implants.

Boolit Master

First week in January I had My eyes done , I spent 7,000 just for the Lens Medicare And Insurance paid the rest , I went with LAL lens ( light adjusted Lens) took 3 months to to get it done Had to go twice a week for eye test and adjusted. I now have 20/20 vision , No glasses and no astigmatism. I`ll report next year if it was worth the cost. I wanted to see like SuperMan But I guess It is what it is.

Boolit Master

About 2000 just over 70 years old my father had both eyes done he said they did one eye far sighted and one near sighted and he no longer wore eye glasses .

One thing did change since I was young if we shot open sights he would have a different point of impact then I would with the same gun rifle or pistol . after surgery he had to re-sight his guns them we both had same settings . I am 66 now and have a small cataract the eye doctor is monitoring so far no issues I do miss my younger eyes and being able to focus iron sights well .
    Last edited by firefly1957; 08-06-2023 at 06:39 AM. Reason: edit 200 to 2000
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I am 62 and my doc keeps telling me for several years now I need cataract surgery. Besides needing 1.5x reading glasses I'm close to 20-20 for most other purposes. Good to know my vision can be improved at some point when it really degrades however not in any rush.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm 70 & had both eyes done with the expensive choice. I can see up close and far away just fine. I'm back to open sights. No complaints. Is it the 20 -15 vision of my youth? Probably not, but I can't tell a difference.

Boolit Master
    I want to thank you all for your responses to his questions. My optometrist just a couple weeks ago that I should check with a doctor about cataracts this winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12