Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Ithaca 37 safety question

Boolit Master

Ithaca 37 safety question

On the M-37 can the safety be moved to safe position after pulling trigger but NOT operating slide and recocking hammer? The gun in question's safety won't move from fire to safe unless hammer is cocked. My lgs received one on trade and asked my opinion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    On the M-37 can the safety be moved to safe position after pulling trigger but NOT operating slide and recocking hammer? The gun in question's safety won't move from fire to safe unless hammer is cocked. My lgs received one on trade and asked my opinion.
    Simply thing to do is try with, with the gun unloaded and hammer not cocked. Basically the safety is a trigger block and it depends on whether the trigger can engage the sear when it's not able to move . An example you can't put an AR15 safety on unless it's cocked.

Boolit Master
    I understand about the AR-15. I was wondering if Ithaca 37 works in the same fashion. For example, my 870 and other shotguns have safeties that will move in either direction whether or not hammer is cocked.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    I understand about the AR-15. I was wondering if Ithaca 37 works in the same fashion. For example, my 870 and other shotguns have safeties that will move in either direction whether or not hammer is cocked.
    Tell you what, I don't have an Ithaca, but I do have a Browning BPS shotgun which is pretty much the same mechanism. Browing invented and Remington and Ithaca both use it.

Boolit Master
    I'm not familiar with the Ithaca model 37 (except to note that it has always been a really cool looking shotgun), but I would suspect that the trigger blocking function of the safety might depend on if it has an interrupter in the fire control group. Some of the older pump action shotguns that I have worked on don't have an interrupter, so the shotgun can be "slam fired" by cycling the slide while the trigger is depressed. More modern shotguns have an interrupter and require that the trigger be released to reset it between shots. The M37 has been around for awhile (I've seen photos of GI's carrying them during the Vietnam war), but I don't know if the safety will engage with the hammer down. Best and easiest way to find out is to make darned sure that the chamber and magazine are empty, then try it both ways and see.

Banned
    Well I was wrong about the Browning, it has a sliding thumb safety on the back of the receiver, but I can put it on with the shotgun uncocked. Have you tried it as I suggested or don't you have the gun handy?

my Ithaca m37 DSPS will only go into safe position unless it is cocked first - mine is produced by the original Ithaca Co., not sure about post Ithaca production ones -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I have an older Ithaca 37 (early 60's) in the back of the safe; if needed I can dig it out & check if helpful ?

Boolit Buddy
    Has to be cocked to apply Safety.
    The Trigger stays to the rear slightly when pulled(fired). That position makes it so that the Safety cannot be pushed back to the SAFE position until the action is recocked and the trigger repositions itself slightly forward.

Boolit Master
    Thank you, gentleman. That answers the question.

My Ithaca M37 was made in 1940. The gun does NOT have an Interrupter and it will Slam Fire. The Safety will not engage unless the hammer is cocked. I just checked mine to make sure.

I had it Re-Blued by Ithaca about 5 years ago and a Friend finished and checkered the Fajan Wood I had bought for it about 1978, I like the English Style Stocks so the Pistol grip went away in favor of that.
    You used to be able to buy a new one with the English Style Stock in 28 ga? Don't see it in the catalog any more. Things change.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464614.JPG   100464611.JPG   100464615.JPG   100464613.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    My Ithaca M37 was made in 1940. The gun does NOT have an Interrupter and it will Slam Fire. The Safety will not engage unless the hammer is cocked. I just checked mine to make sure.

I had it Re-Blued by Ithaca about 5 years ago and a Friend finished and checkered the Fajan Wood I had bought for it about 1978, I like the English Style Stocks so the Pistol grip went away in favor of that.
    You used to be able to buy a new one with the English Style Stock in 28 ga? Don't see it in the catalog any more. Things change.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    What a fine shotgun! Thank you for the explanation.