MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need to upgrade my powder dropper...What's the better options out there?

Boolit Master
    I have used RCBS Uniflow, RCBS Duomatic, Redding, Belding and Mull, Lyman 55, Lee, RCBS Little Dandy, and Culver. I like the Culver the best, but it is the most expensive by a large margin. Second to that, I would prefer the RCBS Uniflow, with large and small drums.

PS: I am not a fan of electronic scales or dispensers. I trust gravity.
    Last edited by AZ Pete; 07-28-2023 at 09:40 AM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master

I have a number of powder measures. The RCBS Uniflow is by far my least favorite because throws can vary as much as 0.5 grain with extruded powders like H4895. It’s just not as consistent as the Lyman 55, the Dillon automatic measures or my favorite, the Saeco. Saeco measures haven’t been made for decades but mine will throw H4895 +/- 0.1 grain. It throws easy powders like 748 or Bullseye extremely consistently. They’re not easy to find but worth the effort.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

My Redding’s are my favorite but the Lyman 55 does serve a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I have to get away from my old Lee Perfect Powder dropper. It leaks...It gets hard to operate...And it's just too small. I want something that is smoother, more accurate, and hopefully larger.

What are some of the best options out there? And I'm talking about a stand alone powder dropper. I don't think I want to spend the money on an electric one BTW.

I was currently looking at the Forster. But for a few pennies more there is the electric RCBS chargemaster

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...owder_measure/
    Yeah, that Powder Measure was what they decided to do Instead of buying MY Hand Press Design.

I asked them why they wanted to compete with every other Reloading Tool Manufacturer instead of having an Exclusive Product? Crickets?

RCBS has a nice powder dispenser and they also have a neato drop tube that has a Powder Trickler integrated into the drop tube. I have one and it works great!. You drop the charge short directly into the pan on your scale and then trickle to right on. Works Great! This is much faster and certainly cheaper than using an Electronic Dispenser.

You buy the Powder Measure and the Stand with Trickler separately.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140719.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    I have used RCBS Uniflow, RCBS Duomatic, Redding, Belding and Mull, Lyman 55, Lee, RCBS Little Dandy, and Culver. I like the Culver the best, but it is the most expensive by a large margin. Second to that, I would prefer the RCBS Uniflow, with large and small drums.

PS: I am not a fan of electronic scales or dispensers. I trust gravity.
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^ There is the Culver, and then there is everything else. Of course with Homer gone, the torch is carried by Harrell now whose line of measures is simply the Culver carried to another whole level, taking the precision Culver rotor concept (designed to use in a Lyman 55) and building a whole new and improved body around it.
    You can get great accuracy quickly with the RCBS Little Dandy, and you can approach Culver accuracy with a Belding and Mull; and other measures shine at specific applications, but in the end, the Culver and its spiritual successor, the Harrell are the ultimate in volumetric powder measures.

Green Frog
    Powder Measure Collector
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I’ve had a few different one’s over the years and have been using the new improved Lee PPM and love it. It’s as accurate as any I’ve used and the interchangeable preset drums are so nice. I work up loads with the standard drum then set up a plastic drum to throw the proper charge, mark it and I’m good to go next time around.

Any powder measure with a metal drum in a metal housing is going to work well, last a long time, and won't leak powder.

RCBS, Lyman, Hornady - all work the same and dispense equally well.

Just the controls differ slightly.

The Hornady can take inserts which you can leave pre-set, and swap out for when you need that powder charge. Very convenient when you use the measure to reload for several charge weights.

Boolit Buddy
    i own a Harrell`s. one of the best! i also own 2 uni-flo`s that have never let me down.

Boolit Master
    I own a bunch of measures, but the ones I use 100% of the time are my Belding&Mulls (two), and the Harrell's. Of the two, the B&M is used for everything at home, from pistol loads to rifle loads. The Harrell's is my outdoor range measure because of its deadnuts accurate adjustment and repeatability. (I do a lot of load development at the shooting bench, and shoot a lot of ASSRA single shot benchrest where I breech seat/load with one case and dispense powder right there.)

I have worked out the correlation between clicks/settings and the couple powders I work with and keep a record of such in my range book. Makes it simple and exact to dial up a desired powder charge without having to mess with a scale to achieve it. One less thing to hassle with on a cluttered shooting bench, and obviates the effects of wind blowing powder off of the scale too. God bless Messrs. Culver and Harrell!

If I were starting over from scratch I would go straight to a Harrell's, bite the bullet and spend the money and never look back.

Boolit Master
    Charge master

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I own a bunch of measures, but the ones I use 100% of the time are my Belding&Mulls (two), and the Harrell's. Of the two, the B&M is used for everything at home, from pistol loads to rifle loads. The Harrell's is my outdoor range measure because of its deadnuts accurate adjustment and repeatability. (I do a lot of load development at the shooting bench, and shoot a lot of ASSRA single shot benchrest where I breech seat/load with one case and dispense powder right there.)

I have worked out the correlation between clicks/settings and the couple powders I work with and keep a record of such in my range book. Makes it simple and exact to dial up a desired powder charge without having to mess with a scale to achieve it. One less thing to hassle with on a cluttered shooting bench, and obviates the effects of wind blowing powder off of the scale too. God bless Messrs. Culver and Harrell!

If I were starting over from scratch I would go straight to a Harrell's, bite the bullet and spend the money and never look back.
    I like it when guys like this explain the details of why they recommend a piece of equipment.

The only powder measures I use are on progressives. The Charge Master gets used for rifle loads because it works perfectly with my routine. I do not use loading blocks as I think they slow me down, and they are unsafe. Once a primed case is picked up, it never leaves my hand. I charge it with powder and then seat the bullet. While I am seating the bullet and putting the finished round in a box/case, the CM is dispensing the next charge and there is no wait time before the next round needs powder.

For how I reload, having a $350 Harrell would be silly and useless. For gnoahhh, it makes a lot of sense.

Knowing you needs is important when selecting equipment. You can spend a lot of money in this hobby buying useless stuff that works great for someone else.

Edited to add...
    If for some reason i had to reload pistol rounds on a single stage press, I still would not invest in a Harrell. 90% of the rime my PM's drop within +/- .1 gr, and a few charges within +/- .2 gr with the powders I use. I cannot shoot a pistol well enough to tell the difference of that small a powder variation. YMMV
    Last edited by dverna; 07-31-2023 at 12:46 PM.
    Don Verna

Well, I will just say the hollywood micrometer is as accurate as any I have ever used.Just do not need any electronic gizmos, Rifle and pistol. Ball, flack and extruded.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master

I have owned several and they all worked ok. None of them were very accurate with extruded powder. Currently I have an RCBS Uniflo, a Harrells and a Dillon.

The Harrells is by far the smoothest operating one and the adjustments are repeatable but its not much more accurate than the others.

I have Lee, Dillon, Redding and a Lyman 55 BP. They all are collecting dust and I use my Chargemaster for everything but pistol. Dillon loads the pistol on the 1050. I did a test a while back to see which one was the most consistent over 20 charges. The best I could do was a 3 tenths spread high to low using VV N135 as the test medium. I then tried Swiss 2fg and the results we about the same. The Gen 1 chargemaster I have does have its quirks, but I have figured them out.

Cheers,
    Steve

The purpose of any language is to communicate and therefore words and terms do matter. I started loading in 1959 and have never used or in fact seen a "powder dropper". Perhaps a powder dropper in a tube by which is used to drop powder in a case, but that is a very scary thought. We use Powder Measures, which measures an exact charge of powder, which is then placed in the case via a drop tube.

As far as powder measure go, I have used many, but today I have an old Hollywood micrometer adjustable powder measure, an RCBS with a good assortment of rotors and about a dozen Lyman 55s.

I don't intent to offend you, but somebody has to wise the children up.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

New powder tricklers are pretty fancy, but they all cut corners to save on cost with anemic load cells. The old RCBS/Pact scale & throwers are built like tanks. Some people never turn them off and they still keep weighing.
    I don't see how any powder drop can operate any smoother than a Lee deluxe perfect powder measure, there is a silicon like wipers that eliminates any cutting or binding from stick powders, once they are broken in, they do not leak. Another neat feature is that the drums are replaceable, you can get one for each load, for not all that much money.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master

I hated cutting extruded powder and splurged on an RCBS Chargemaster. However, I still have an RCBS Uniflow with a small drum and micro-meter on a stand. I use the uniflow all the time. The heft makes all the difference. I can go back to a previous setting and it is right on every time, all the time. If you want to use a larger throw than 50 grains just dump two and you are set up to 100 grains. My Lyman 55 works great and if that's all I had I'd be happy. The graduations on the drum, suck! It is accurate and I use it for very small charges. With my Dillon press the powder measures work ok but cannot handle H110 and 2400 accurately for me at least a grain difference. So I use the Lee auto drum for my 44 mag and 357 loads. That being said, if I were only allowed one, RCBS Uniflow with a small drum and micrometer and all the world can spin on. Works for everything from 380ACP up to and past 30-06 cast, jacketed shotgun everything. I hope that helps my friend. Good luck any questions, PM.

Boolit Master
    REDDING!! everything is made in USA. unlike the other company that begins with the letter R.

Slightly amazing that the Lyman 55, which is in essence the Ideal powder measure which John Barlow invented 130 years ago, is still as superior as it is.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    REDDING!! everything is made in USA. unlike the other company that begins with the letter R.
    Most of RCBS is made in America. They make a lot of products. Their cast iron presses are made here, their scales are not, but they do have a great reputation for accuracy, and design. Powder Measures are made here.

Been very happy with my older American made 501 and 10-10 scales from RCBS (manf. by Ohaus) .....and my GemPro electronic. Never had the pleasure of owning a ChargeMaster trickle dispenser. Just don't have interest in charging off press, now that I use progressives.

As for Powder Measures, Reddings are well made and popular, but I have never tried one. I have several all RCBS. The original Uniflow, the Uniflow Competition, the Uniflow Quick Change, and now the Uniflow 3. All work fine. Features changed. The original and the competition have two cylinders, one with a small powder reservoir hole to better measure pistol charges, the other with a larger hole for rifle charges. The reservoir is made deeper or shallower with a measuring screw. One model of Redding seems to improve that reservoir by curving the bottom surface.

The RCBS competition differs having a MIC. which allows you to write down exact repeatable settings. Just makes it quicker & easier to change loads.

Then the Quick Change came and replaced the 2 cylinders with one having inserted variable screw modules in two sizes with hole diameters variable using one cylinder. I like the fact that you can buy multiple screw modules and set each to a certain favorite load you can use, then keep on a shelf for the next time you load that. So changing calibers means changing modules already adjusted for instant use.

The latest from RCBS is the Uniflow Three which just takes the Quick Change a level further. Redesigned with a screw-off powder reservoir (finally) and smoothed up more polished interiors they repeat better than the old designs....not that the old was bad, but smooth is just better.

I did a picture review of these new designs in TheHighRoad a while back if you are curious about the UF3 or the changes: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...review.871276/
    Last edited by GWS; 08-01-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast