Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need to upgrade my powder dropper...What's the better options out there?

I need to upgrade my powder dropper...What's the better options out there?

I have to get away from my old Lee Perfect Powder dropper. It leaks...It gets hard to operate...And it's just too small. I want something that is smoother, more accurate, and hopefully larger.

What are some of the best options out there? And I'm talking about a stand alone powder dropper. I don't think I want to spend the money on an electric one BTW.

I was currently looking at the Forster. But for a few pennies more there is the electric RCBS chargemaster

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...owder_measure/
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 07-26-2023 at 09:11 AM.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    I happen to like the Hornady PM, but then I hate the Lyman 55 and most folks seem to love it.

For single stage loading I use the chargemaster more than anything by far.

Boolit Master

I have both an rcbs chargemaster lite and an rcbs cavity style dropper.. the cavity dropper never gets used anymore. I like the chargemaster much better than the old lyman dps 1200 I had.

Ss32v, I had the Forster PM, but found it very difficult to adjust and was no more accurate, even with ball powders, than say a Lyman #55. You're going to laugh, but the Lee Perfect PM will hardly break the bank and is as accurate as the Forster...even with black powder loads.

For $59 I'm trying to understand how I can't go this route...That's A LOT of features for not much money https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...powder-measure

Here's a good review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1WFqP1_ykw

Super Moderator

Check out the RCBS Uniflow. It's a great piece of equipment. Mine's an older one but it still works great.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow...kyUfLT2rjnkUT0

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Check out the RCBS Uniflow. It's a great piece of equipment. Mine's an older one but it still works great.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow...kyUfLT2rjnkUT0
    Honestly that is what I was going with until I stumbled upon the Lyman above. For almost double the price I don't see what the Uniflow would give over the Lyman!

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I have both an rcbs chargemaster lite and an rcbs cavity style dropper.. the cavity dropper never gets used anymore. I like the chargemaster much better than the old lyman dps 1200 I had.
    I do believe whatever I get will just get me by until I get the Chargemaster lite as well. It seems to be the best value in electric droppers.

Boolit Master
    Don't have an electronic (for a reason) but i am quite happy with the Uniflow and Lyman 55 to meet my needs for pistol charges and the time proven scoops for dispensing initial charges and trickling in to final weight on the beam scale for rifle.

Just not in that much of a hurry to get the powder into a case i guess.

Boolit Master

Take a look at the Redding powder measures. A bit pricey but work really well

Gmsharps

Boolit Grand Master
    If you intend to buy a Chargemaster (CM) eventually, do it now.

I have two stand alone powder measures I never use. There was no point after getting the CM.

I load pistol rounds on a progressive so have no need for separate a PM. If I was in your situation, (loading .357 Mag full power loads on a single stage press?). I would make a dipper for the charge I wanted and keep it simple. Dippers are cheap/free, accurate enough, and do not bridge.
    Don Verna

The Lyman 55 is the most consistent and easily adjusted measure I've ever had, but I don't use it because my loading setup requires the handle to be swapped to the left side. So a 20-year-old RCBS measure is still my workhorse at the bench.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t have the Brass Smith powder measure but have one of the presses works fine if I needed a powder measure I’d try one.I didn’t watch the video how can anyone drag a powder measure review out to over 37 minutes
    Last edited by wildwilly501; 07-26-2023 at 05:35 PM.

I have Uniflows, Uniflow Competitions models, Uniflow Quickchange, and Uniflow Three. I like em all, but this one for rifle......1 lb of powder, good metering ....all.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Quick-Ch...s%2C134&sr=8-4

Last edited by GWS; 07-26-2023 at 08:20 PM.

I have Lyman 55’s, Dillons on the 650 tool heads, and an rcbs charge master. I never use the 55’s since I bought the Lee deluxe perfect powder measure. It just flat works and is incredibly accurate. If I needed another powder throw tomorrow, I’d buy the Lee again hands down.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the redding br30, RCBS uniflow, Lyman 55, Belding and Mull, RCBS li dandy, and Harrels in 2 sizes. All are good and have their strong points. My go to measures are the Belding and Mull and the Harrels. Both are very accurate measures and easy to use.
    The Belding and Mull first
    It is an old measure and can be found used
    Measure tubes are easy to make from hobby brass tubing. ( Make a few and dedicate them to loads as the tubes can be hard to set)
    Hopper is smaller for rifle loads
    It is 2 hand operation
    The Harrels
    This is a version of the culiver conversion of the lyman 55
    simple click adjustable and repeatable. IE 56 clicks is the same weight every time
    It is set up with a bottle that is plenty large and has an adapter to use powder bottles instead.
    beautifully machined and finished very smooth operation.

Boolit Master

Got a buddy that likes his Harrels (pistol).
    I like and use the RCBS chargemaster.

My Redding is old enough that I don’t remember where I got it; but it works great for me for everything (2 rotors) that I load.
    I’ve used the RCBS Uniflow and like it, I like the Lyman 55 for pistol cartridges.
    I have a Lee like the OP described; mine leaks AA#2 like H2O!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    For $59 I'm trying to understand how I can't go this route...That's A LOT of features for not much money https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...powder-measure

Here's a good review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1WFqP1_ykw
    If I were in the market for a new powder measure, I think I would try that one.

I have an RCBS Uniflow with the large drum. It is great for anything with more volume than about 4 grains of W231. It does not like small charges. If I were to buy a new one, I would get both drums even though it is spendy.

I also have a Lyman 55. It works for about anything, once you get it set. Very consistent charges.

One thing I have learned over the years using various powder measures: consistency in operation is king with these tools.

Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast