WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Opinions on this crimp?

Opinions on this crimp?

Just made 6 of these 180gr 357 magnums. Powder is 296 and I'm starting at 12.6gr and working up in .2gr up to 13.5gr and checking for flat primers and sticking cases. I'm curious what you guys think of the overall loads and how the crimp looks. Any tips?

Edit: I just checked and with gas check and powder coating they are at 186gr and not 180gr!!!

Last edited by Stopsign32v; 07-25-2023 at 07:57 PM.

Good looking crimp strong and consistent. Maybe slightly heavy-handed but it's okay. Do they all drop in and out of the cylinder under their own weight?

Crimps look good to me. I like about as heavy as I can get for magnum loads though.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Good looking crimp strong and consistent. Maybe slightly heavy-handed but it's okay. Do they all drop in and out of the cylinder under their own weight?
    Oh yea! They roll around freely in the cylinder even when its closed and you tilt the revolver up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Crimps look good to me. I like about as heavy as I can get for magnum loads though.
    Shes gonna be a thumper I think!

That's a heavy duty looking crimp. Shouldn't experience any setback! I have wondered what, if any, pressure increase one can expect from a very heavy crimp. You might ask Mr. Gibson.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That's a heavy duty looking crimp. Shouldn't experience any setback! I have wondered what, if any, pressure increase one can expect from a very heavy crimp. You might ask Mr. Gibson.

DG
    The starting load for 180gr and 296 is 13.0gr of powder. So at 12.6gr I shouldn't have any pressure signs I would hope.

As the loads go up should I back off on this much of crimp?

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like a good heavy crimp. If your case isn’t getting a bulge then I think it’s fine.

They are nice looking cartridges.

You need to be very careful loading 296 below starting loads. You can experience delayed ignition. 296 doesn’t like air space. Are you using magnum primers? You should be. The crimps look good to me. I wouldn’t back them off, if they are chambering easily.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    You need to be very careful loading 296 below starting loads. You can experience delayed ignition. 296 doesn’t like air space. Are you using magnum primers? You should be. The crimps look good to me. I wouldn’t back them off, if they are chambering easily.
    Well at this point the only data I have is this. I'd just pay attention to the starting loads for where I'm at now. There is definitely air space though in these cases though. And yes definitely using Federal magnum primers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357load.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	316319

When I first started reloading, I loaded up some 357 magnums with H110. This was many years ago and I can’t remember all the details. I loaded them up a little light, and I could hear the primer go off, and then about a second later, the round went off.

My preference nowadays for heavy loads is 2400. You won’t get top velocity like with 296, but you get a wider range of performance, and no magnum primer is necessary. Be careful.

Boolit Grand Master

Invest in a reloading manual. Lyman, Serria, or other major manual, not Lee. You will find many options for loads.

Yes, your crimp is more than adequate, but that isn't a problem with a magnum cartridge. You need to make sure the boolit doesn't pull forward and lock up your revolver, and those won't. I've had inadequate crimp lock up a revolver a couple of times, not fun but not a major problem either. Just push it back in the case with a pencil or dowell or something.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    In my opinion you have WAY too much crimp on those rounds. I mean way too much. You don’t need anywhere near that much crimp with any powder. I’ve loaded a tremendous amount of .357mag rounds over the last fifty+ years and never had a crimp problem while using a lot less crimp than what you’re using. Will it hurt anything? I doubt it, but you’re going to get a lot of cracked cases working the brass that much. As soon as you can easily see crimp you already have too much.

Looks fine to me. I tried W296 maybe 40 years ago. It gave a big flame and did not impress as far as velocity or accuracy. Try 2400 for less drama, better accuracy and more velocity.

Boolit Master
    little heavy on the crimp for me, but the pictures are wonderful!
    Loren

You can pull a bullet to see if the crimp is digging in or deforming the bullet.

They look a little on the heavy side to me, but if they drop right into the cylinder- they're fine.

I'd be careful about a heavier than needed crimp, and flaring the case anymore than I had to.
    The more and farther ya open and close the case mouth- the sooner it'll want to split.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.