Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois rifle?

Illinois rifle?

So here in Illinois the geniuses that be have decided to let us use rifles, in single shot mode only for deer hunting this year. Of the calibers listed, I have 44-40, 38-55, 45-70. I really want to use my 45-60, but it's not on the list. My shots likely would not be more that 75 yards at the most. I am thinking my 66 in 44-40 to be my Friday gun. Depending on how load development goes, the 38-55 will get to be the Saturday gun. What are you fellow Illinoisans going with?

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    I am over in the Danvile area. This is the first I have heard of this wonder of wonders ! Going to have to look it all up....
    But probably will just use our recurves as then I do not have to mess with the gun license. We hunt river bottoms and the distances are all very close.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    The game commission is also giving out farm deer culling permits too!! Y'all having a deer problem in Illinois??

Rifle have to be single shot, or rifle manipulated to be single shot. All I need to do is insert a wooden dowel into the tube mag and good to go. I suspect it will be like when handguns were allowed, 1st mid january late season for a few years till it was shown that we weren't a bunch of mad terrorists going to shoot up the countryside with our evil handguns, now its a regular option during shotgun season. I think in a few years the same will happen. Hope so.
    Last edited by veeman; 07-27-2023 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I just read through all the "goop". If you remove the spring and follower you could use a 45-60 1876 rifle.
    The ammo may not have been yet tested but even a Chicago lawyer could figure out if a +p 9mm can fit the muster then a 45-60 with a 250-300 grain slug should do it. Straight wall and available from numerous vendors.
    I did not see a "no cast bullet" restriction. They do list 45-110 and 50-90 which are not at all a common off the shelve item.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    I just read through all the "goop". If you remove the spring and follower you could use a 45-60 1876 rifle.
    The ammo may not have been yet tested but even a Chicago lawyer could figure out if a +p 9mm can fit the muster then a 45-60 with a 250-300 grain slug should do it. Straight wall and available from numerous vendors.
    I did not see a "no cast bullet" restriction. They do list 45-110 and 50-90 which are not at all a common off the shelve item.
    That's pretty cool about the 1876. For Illinois being considered an anti-gun state I was surprised when they just changed the firearm rules.

In another state, I won't mention, a heard of a man that took his M1 Garand to the Game Commission headquarter. He had it altered, and showed them, that there was no way it would fire semi automatic unless you changed it back. They told him it's a semi automatic rifle and those weren't allowed in the state and to get out.

Boolit Grand Master

That is what happens when "public servants" decide they can bite the hand that feeds them.

Boolit Master

The extended group of friends still in the state seem to be breaking out the old trapdoors and are making slight, reversible alterations for a more modern sight picture at appropriate ranges.

Handi Rifles or T/C's would probably be my go-to.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    That is what happens when "public servants" decide they can bite the hand that feeds them.
    How true that statement is. While I was on a long term assignment in southern IL, I called one of the ranger offices about small game hunting in the Shawnee National Forest. The guy on the phone told me that he really didn't have time to mess with that and so I told him thanks a lot and he hung up.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by TD1886 View Post
    The game commission is also giving out farm deer culling permits too!! Y'all having a deer problem in Illinois??
    TD, drive from Goreville down through Jonesboro and Anna and then north up past Grand Tower at night and count the deer you can see. Be careful, I have a friend who almost lost a leg when he hit one on a motorcycle.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    I will be using a Montana Rough Rider in 45/70, 405 hollow base from Mihec, 24.5 grains of SR4759. Nice comfortable load and is very accurate.....................Curdog.

That aught to get the job done!

Vendor Sponsor
    I think you would be hard pressed to make single shot 38-55 any more deadly than a single shot 44-40 inside of 75 yards. Especially with a 250+gr and a ogival wadcutter profile. My late step Dad had a 44-40 Rem pump that took many a Wisconsin whitetail in it's day. Some with night vision. Lol

Boolit Master
    Rossi lever action 357 with a powder coated 170 grain SWC over 13 grains of SR4759.
    Been practicing. I could hit a deer out to 200 yards but I'll definitely keep my shots under 100.
    With a 100 yard zero the boolit drops 25" at 200 yards.
    It is surprisingly flat shooting out to 100 yards.

I sent the IDNR a message about the legality of the 45/60 a few days ago, haven't heard back yet.

Anyone read the Paul Matthews' books on paper patching?
    Included is how to muzzleload with cartridge rifles.
    That got me to running Greenhill calculations on single shot pistol caliber rifles.
    By example, the commonly used twist in a .41Mag is good for a fairly hefty rifle boolit.
    Same thing for a .45 Colt.

Would that fit for Illinois regs?

Boolit Grand Master

I cannot imagine how DNR would deny the 45-60 with it being far more potent than the 45 Colt and many others.

Wouldn't think so, but it ain't on the list and I don't want to get into trouble. Don't hurt to ask first.

Boolit Grand Master

But being ILL-nois you better get it in writing.
    We have not had our 45-60's out in 4 years now. Have two original "clank and rattles" and two repro-s. They are all 45-60 and I have never pulled a trigger on them for anything bigger than a large ground hog.
    Near forgot the 50-95. That one is my favorite ! A 350 grain on top of 87 grains of 3F Goex will make a fine mule deer fleezer filler.

Boolit Master
    Illinois is run by Governor that hates gun owners and the US Constitution. I will travel there and sure as heck wouldn’t live there. I feel bad for anyone who lives there. That said look at Henry Single-shot rifles they are fine rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast