Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: The most fun I had collecting range scrap.....

The most fun I had collecting range scrap.....

Was the time I had a large paper coffee cup, and filled it with all the lead pistol bullets that were simply
    sitting on top of the soil, at the backstop bottom.
    Literally no effort and took but a few minutes.
    Now that I'm thinking about it, I might go get a large coffee from the Speedway.....
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    That's how the madness starts whan you have access to the berm. I would grab a handful everytime i set up, checked and took down the target stands. Next up came a 4x6in piece of scrap expanded metal to help sift out the dirt digging/sifting around between strings. My latest creation is a 4x4 piece of expanded metal in a wooden frame with handles and an e-tool to scoop/scrape the surface. I got pictures of it around here somewhere (edit see link below, post #23).

I had to stop myself when i started looking into building a trommel and trying to figure out how to make it transportable enough to take to the range.

At this point i still have something like 2 5 gal pails of dirty scrap to clean up still sitting in the garage waiting for cooler weather to arrive.

The best part is the "free" dirty lead then comes the expense of pots and propane and all the stuff required to get the free stuff into the casting pot.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-methods/page2

Boolit Master

I carry one of the tools they make to scoop a cat box. When walking the berm one can usually find a hot spot that was behind someones target. I can get 10 to 15 pounds of scrap in as many minutes. I love it after a SASS shoot. All those big fat 45 lead slugs!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    I carry one of the tools they make to scoop a cat box.

That's clever, I was thinking to get one of those scoop things the beachcombing metal detector folks use.
    If ya are at a place that has steel knock down targets, there is usually sort of like a layer of Lead on the ground in front of them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    After heavy rain or a few days worth you can usually find it sitting at the bottom of the berm, washed and ready for pickup.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Was the time I had a large paper coffee cup, and filled it with all the lead pistol bullets that were simply
    sitting on top of the soil, at the backstop bottom.
    Literally no effort and took but a few minutes.
    I just did that last Saturday, except I used a shot bag I keep in my range bag, just for that use.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

i think you should take a poll about it
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

The range I belong to has a pistol range that has been there from before I was born, I'm 70, and has never been cleaned. I can take a 5 gallon bucket and a 1/4" screen and rake have a bucket in 20 minutes and never touch a shovel. I think the berm has more lead than stone dust.

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    The best part is the "free" dirty lead then comes the expense of pots and propane and all the stuff required to get the free stuff into the casting pot.
    If you take your scrap jackets to a salvage yard you can get reimbursed very quickly for any upfront expenditures.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My club has an indoor range with a cement floor. I used to sweep the floors in the front of the backstops with a stiff push broom and fill buckets from the piles with a shovel. I’ve got a pretty good stock of ingots now and with the price of propane shooting up, I haven’t been been collecting any. Now the members have piled it up and are asking me to come and take it away. They can’t get rid of it. Everyone here is too afraid of lead poisoning to deal with it.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I was visiting my brother in the OKC area. We went to his gun club with a rake and a sifter he made and 4 large coffee containers. We filled those in about 10 minutes.
    I wish I had a couple of 5 gallon buckets. Anyway I brought home about 100# of range scrap. We met up in central Arkansas and he brought me about 200# more of said
    scrap. That club is in an old river bottom the berms are sand and have to be dressed regularly. We were there after a rain and the pickens were easy.