Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 45-70 lever action?

I made a choice between a Marlin and a Pedersoli 1886 and chose the Pedersoli over the 'others'. Never regretted my selection, reliable, and accurate.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

FWIW, I've had more than a half-dozen .45-70 rifles over the years, in 16", 22", 24" & 32" barrels; and found that the 22" barreled version worked best for me in terms of accuracy & handling while hunting.

IMO, anyone looking to buy a firearm in a certain chambering would be best advised to go to a funshow and handle as many of the various guns they can find, prior to buying.

YMMV

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Marlin 1895 in the 22", pistol-grip style stock configuration: they are WAY easier to work on than the Winchesters; you can put optics on them; you can upgrade the ejector and two-part firing pins to beefier and one-piece; there are "delete" filler blocks if you get a newer one with the cross-bolt safety, and Ranger Point is making medium-loop levers if you have big hands that don't fit what it came with.

The Guide Guns come with the straight-wrist stocks which really start to suck when you get above anemic "cowboy" loads.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    New, Henry all the way unless you can find a new Ruglin. The Italian 1886's seem to do really well too. Current Winchester/Miroku would be at the bottom of my list due to constant light strike problems that they won't fix. Used, JM Marlin or original design Winchester/Browning.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I’ve got a Marlin 1895 CB which has the Ballard rifling in a long octagon barrel and it carrys and balances in my hand very well. All I’ve ever shot is cast, mostly Ranch Dog design Boolits. I love it…
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post

Current Winchester/Miroku would be at the bottom of my list due to constant light strike problems that they won't fix.

FWIW, the easy fix for those light strikes is to (very) slightly shorten the lower fork of the rebounding hammer's strut.

The lower fork, although withing tolerances, can run a tad too long in some rifles, limiting the hammer to a shorter hammer stroke/travel.

I've done it successfully on three different Winchester/Miroku leverguns.

Boolit Buddy

An original Winchester 1886 or a Pedersoli or a much newer Marlin or Winchester.
    I agree, being able to handle as many makes as possible would help make a good choice.
    Bad Ass Wallace' s Pedersoli really looks nice.
    Good lucking make the choice
    I prefer no safety on the tang.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1886 Hunting 50pct.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	316359

I'm quite partial to 1886's and consider them to be the rifleman's rifle.
    As far as a truly effective hunting and shooting rifle I would go for a Marlin guide gun with a lower power scope.
    I would like to come up with a Marlin guide gun for a dedicated hunting rifle.

Tom

Together with a choice of rifle should also consider what cast boolit it will be fed. A Marlin 'Cowboy' lacks the length of action to properly seat a boolit 500gn as the action is just too short. My Pedersoli will feed 500gn boolits when crimped in the normal position.

The three boolits that I use are a 250gn (plinker for grand kids) a 420gn Hensley & Gibbs (0.460")and a 500gn Lyman.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    FWIW, the easy fix for those light strikes is to (very) slightly shorten the lower fork of the rebounding hammer's strut.

The lower fork, although withing tolerances, can run a tad too long in some rifles, limiting the hammer to a shorter hammer stroke/travel.

I've done it successfully on three different Winchester/Miroku leverguns.

True, however a rifle that goes for well over a grand shouldn't require homebrew solutions to function correctly. Some of them still have light strike issues even after all the common modifications are done. Winchester has to be aware of this and still won't change the design.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Winchester has to be aware of this and still won't change the design.

Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers, ad nauseum...

FWIW, I've been "smoothing" new factory rifles I bought, since the mid-60's - it never ends.

Boolit Master
    I have a Marlin 1895 that is probably pre Remington. Have only shot cast thru it. Because I lived in California I couldn't hunt with cast. In Oregon and in my 80s I don't carry heavy guns. Initially got two Lee molds to see how I liked the gun. 330 and 405 grain. Loaded with minimal charges of Trail Boss they are both fun to shoot. My Marlin is a Cowboy with a 26" bsrrel. I have lighter shorter guns that I hunt with but this is a fun gun to shoot.

Boolit Master

I like the Browning made 86's - I have one of the 24 inch rifle versions, cut down to 20 inch with a magazine that has been cut down to half magazine ( button mag. configuration ). It is a joy to carry and use. Dennis Olson in Plains, Mt did the work for me
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

I have a Henry All-Weather, Ruger/Marlin Trapper, Marlin CB, Marlin GS,Rem/Marlin SBL. All have about the same recoil impulse except the CB and the GS, those get a bit strenuous with heavy loads. If he's wanting new, I might suggest the New Marlin Trapper or the Henry, very handy and both dote on 457122HP and 3031.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I have had a few Marlin 45-70s and enjoyed them. A good read is Paul Matthews book, 40 years with the 45-70. He talks about a few of them.
    Endeavor to persevere

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70marlin View Post
    I have had a few Marlin 45-70s and enjoyed them. A good read is Paul Matthews book, 40 years with the 45-70. He talks about a few of them.
    That's an excellent book. Back when I was torturing myself about scoping my gg, right off the bat, page x, first photo, a No 3 with a Weaver scope, then again on pg. 60. says on page x: "...best brush hunting rig the author has ever used...."
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master

No one owns a 1886 "Light Weight" ?
    We do.. Sure it a nice 22" barreled corn cruncher crusher to tote around. Bought it NOS (jap) from a LGS in central ILL-nois for under $500 out da-door as no one wanted a rifle they could not hunt with. Ha ha ! This year (20 years later) it is legal as long as I remove the mag spring and follower. Black tape over tube end will make the green suit man happy also.
    Round ball for bunnies, ground hogs and such up to whatever the ol' 45-70 will get it done. But I do like the caliber 50 1886 (or 71) a bit better.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    I have had a Marlin 1895cb for 5-6 years. It is the “dreaded” Remlin. Despite all the internet criticism, it is a fine rifle. Fit and finish is very good. Runs beautifully, and, with its 26” Octsgonal barrel, it is very accurate. It IS very heavy. I also have a Henry All Weather .45-70 with an 18.5”barrel. This one can be side or tube fed. It is actually the more accurate of the two.I can get sub 1” groups off the bench with this one regularly. If hunting is in your plans, the Henry is a good choice with its 18.5” barrel. Lots of good stuff out there about Ruger Marlins, possibly the best 45-70’s ever. I haven’t had the opportunity to use one of these. They are a little pricey due to very high demand.
    Last edited by dankathytc; 07-28-2023 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Misspell

I believe the choice should be a top or side eject for a center scope mount. I prefer the Marlin due to that feature. In my experiance with cast, most any 45-70 can be made to shoot and function, you are a handloader, so you can figure it all out, so no unsolved mystery.

Since I have two 45-70 in 98 Mausers, I prefer them, due to their versatility. Loads from the trap door to the 458 Win Mag. The 40 year book is a good read.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    This year (20 years later) it is legal as long as I remove the mag spring and follower. Black tape over tube end will make the green suit man happy also.
    Did your fish and wildlife department tell you that? Ours can be pretty vindictive about even minor violations, I would get that in writing if possible.