Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which 45-70 lever action?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dankathytc View Post
    I have had a Marlin 1895cb for 5-6 years. It is the “dreaded” Remlin. Despite all the internet criticism, it is a fine rifle. Fit and finish is very good. Runs beautifully, and, with its 26” Octsgonal barrel, it is very accurate. It IS very heavy. I also have a Henry All Weather .45-70 with an 18.5”barrel. This one can be side or tube fed. It is actually the more accurate of the two.I can get sub 1” groups off the bench with this one regularly. If hunting is in your plans, the Henry is a good choice with its 18.5” barrel. Lots of good stuff out there about Ruger Marlins, possibly the best 45-70’s ever. I haven’t had the opportunity to use one of these. They are a little pricey due to very high demand.
    I have a feeling pricing will soften on lever actions. Already I see Henry's going down here, I presume due to alot more of them being available. A Golden Boy centerfire that was $1149.00 a couple of months ago was $899.00 yesterday at the same shop.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers, ad nauseum...

FWIW, I've been "smoothing" new factory rifles I bought, since the mid-60's - it never ends.
    I would suspect also because most of them work well enough, and these rifles don't sell in sufficient volume to make a design and tooling change worthwhile from their standpoint. Still not acceptable to me. Yes, It's pretty rare that I buy a new gun and don't modify it some way.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

BNE: An original Winchester 1886 in 45-70 or 45-90 is a great rifle! Went to an Ohio Gun Collectors show a couple of years ago and took my friend as a guest. We found a rebarreled and refinished original Winchester 1886 for $2800. The gun shoots terrific! It is his big woods brush gun. A good investment. Better than a Japanese made Browning or a Winchester with the ugly lawyer designed tang safety. The Henry's are a clunky looking gun. Rather have an old Marlin or a new Ruger/Marlin in 45-70.

Had a couple different Marlin 1895’s. Like my Henry a lot more. 45/70 has lots of options for bullet weight and power levels. Doesn’t need to be a shoulder breaker to kill a whitetail . Cast 405’s work real well, even slow.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Better than a Japanese made Browning or a Winchester with the ugly lawyer designed tang safety.
    The Browning 86''s doesn't have a tang safety. I have both the rifle and carbine versions of the Browing 1886's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The Browning 86''s doesn't have a tang safety. I have both the rifle and carbine versions of the Browing 1886's.
    Would love to have an original design Browning. From what I have read they have a cult following among big game guides.

So he bought a Ruger/Marlin. Now just waiting for it to arrive….

Thank you for the input. It helped.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    I own a Marlin Guide Gun SS 45/70. Use the open peep sights that comes with it.
    I Live in heavy wooded area. You may have a 100 yard shot. Took out several deer with it.
    It does drop them in there place. It is like carrying a heavier 3030.
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

So what would you pay for a Marlin 1895 no cross-bolt safety with a stock cut to 12.5 or 13” LOP?

Found one for $1000.00 asking price.
    “The bear has to touch you to hurt you.
    Don’t let the bear touch you.” Me

.500 Linebaugh. Caliber matters.
    RIP John Linebaugh 11/15/1955 - 03/19/2023

In good shape that is a reasonable price. May want to bargain with them based on the altered stock.

Boolit Master
    The only choice for me moving forward is a gun with a threaded barrel. Even with supersonic loads a suppressor can make a huge difference, there is no longer any reason to tolerate hunting without a hearing-safe firearm.

Henry's Lever Action X model would be my choice.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I am not going to blaspheme the Marlin safety on lever guns. When your hands are really cold, it is nice to have that feature to unload the rifle at the end of the day. My hunting partner was on a hunt when a teen age son shot his dad in the leg while unloading a lever gun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123